DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Can Somebody Please Explain This in Star Trek: Generations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/477797-can-somebody-please-explain-star-trek-generations.html)

chanster 09-15-06 01:56 PM

Can Somebody Please Explain This in Star Trek: Generations

Ok, I finally watched this movie again and hadn't seen this movie since it was in theaters.

My question is this: When Zorin launches the missile that sends him and Picard into the Nexus -- wouldn't that have destroyed the saucer section of Enterprise?

As far as I can tell, the Enterprise was orbiting the same planet where the launcher was located when they were attacked by the Klingon ship? Right? (I say this because Data was scanning for lifeforms?)..but I'm not sure. So wouldn't that send everybody in the ship into the Nexus as well?

devilshalo 09-15-06 02:06 PM

As I explained to Brannon, "By all accounts, they're still in the nexus."

Shannon Nutt 09-15-06 02:15 PM

Because the Nexus was a ribbon, it didn't hit ALL parts of the planet, just the part where Picard and Caligula-boy were standing. So it could have missed the orbiting Enterprise.

The bigger question is if Mr. Scott saw Kirk "die" at the beginning of the film, why the hell does he think the Captain is still alive when they find him at the beginning of "Relics" (The Next Generation episode). Oh, I know, because the writers didn't do their damn homework (and because Mr. Scott's part was originally supposed to go to Mr. Spock instead, but Nimoy didn't want to do a cameo). :)

Joe Molotov 09-15-06 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The bigger question is if Mr. Scott saw Kirk "die" at the beginning of the film, why the hell does he think the Captain is still alive when they find him at the beginning of "Relics" (The Next Generation episode). Oh, I know, because the writers didn't do their damn homework (and because Mr. Scott's part was originally supposed to go to Mr. Spock instead, but Nimoy didn't want to do a cameo). :)

Cut him some slack, he just spent 80 years in suspended animation. ;)

Mopower 09-15-06 02:31 PM

What a mess of a movie.

Star Wars Guy 09-15-06 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The bigger question is if Mr. Scott saw Kirk "die" at the beginning of the film, why the hell does he think the Captain is still alive when they find him at the beginning of "Relics" (The Next Generation episode).

Dementia? ;)

Palaver 09-15-06 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
As I explained to Brannon, "By all accounts, they're still in the nexus."

:up: Basically, everything that occurs after Generations isn't real...

al_bundy 09-15-06 08:49 PM

didn't the saucer crash land and was then destroyed with the planet and then survived after they got out of the nexus?

saucer separated because the klingons cause the engines to overload with their attack but i guess they had enough shielding to survive the atmosphere and the explosion of the engines

RocShemp 09-15-06 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
didn't the saucer crash land and was then destroyed with the planet and then survived after they got out of the nexus?

saucer separated because the klingons cause the engines to overload with their attack but i guess they had enough shielding to survive the atmosphere and the explosion of the engines

Yup. Basically Picard, Sorin, and Kirk are still in the Nexus and the NG crew is dead. All events post-Generations are fantasies Picard is having within the Nexus.

Joe Molotov 09-15-06 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Palaver
:up: Basically, everything that occurs after Generations isn't real...

Originally Posted by Roc Shemp
Yup. Basically Picard, Sorin, and Kirk are still in the Nexus and the NG crew is dead. All events post-Generations are fantasies Picard is having within the Nexus.

Or maybe all of TNG, Voyager, DS9, and everything else that happened after the first 10 minutes of Generations is the fantasy, all dreamed up by Kirk!

Kinda makes you think, don't it?

Spoiler:
Not really.

Numanoid 09-16-06 08:52 PM

The Enterprise saucer wasn't in orbit, it was on the surface after crash landing. You do see it destroyed just after the ribbon grabs Picard and the droogie (did you miss that somehow?)