Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eragon trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 06:57 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eragon trailer

http://movies.aol.com/movie-trailer-...s.adp?uid=5760

Looks good.
Old 09-15-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
LOTR with Dragons.
Old 09-15-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
LOTR with Dragons.
More like DUNGEONS & DRAGONS with Dragons...doesn't look very good.
Old 09-15-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 651 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
More like DUNGEONS & DRAGONS with Dragons...
You're just saying that because Jeremy Irons is in both.
Old 09-15-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It looks like an expensive SciFi channel movie of the week, but that's based mostly on the look of it; kinda cheap but wanting to look more expensive than it actually is.
Old 09-15-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Is this Uwe Boll's latest flick? Looks pretty awful.
Old 09-15-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Is this Uwe Boll's latest flick?
You're probably thinking of Dungeon Seige, which is like Dungeons & Dragons with Dungeons.
Old 09-15-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
You're probably thinking of Dungeon Seige, which is like Dungeons & Dragons with Dungeons.
Yeah, I was just being sarcastic because they both look pretty shitty.
Old 09-15-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the books were a fun read so far...I dont know, doesnt look any worse than Narnia or LOTR when I saw trailers for them.
Old 09-15-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 651 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
...I dont know, doesnt look any worse than Narnia or LOTR when I saw trailers for them.
Are you kidding? The story sounds like it was written by a 16-year-old! Oh, wait.....
Old 09-15-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hoping for a 'Dragon Seige' movie. Which hopefully will be like 'Dungeons and Dragons' and 'Dungeon Seige' but with more dragons and more seiges.
Old 09-15-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
I know very little about Eragon but after that trailer, it feels like I've already seen the movie, several times even. It doesn't look Uwe Boll bad by any stretch, though they certainly skimped a bit on a few effect shots.

I dunno, I'm sure it'll be a big money maker but it just doesn't look that amazing to me.
Old 09-15-06, 07:41 PM
Political Exile

it's star wars without the space
Old 09-15-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see how it could be any worse than Narnia.
Old 09-15-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Yeah, I was just being sarcastic because they both look pretty shitty.
I just wanted to say "Dungeons & Dragons with Dungeons".
Old 09-15-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Looks like fun to me.
Old 09-15-06, 11:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Corvin
I don't see how it could be any worse than Narnia.
Amen. I read the book and considering it was written by a 16-year old, I was impressed. Is it the best book ever? No. But it was fun.

As for the trailer, it's not nearly as bad as everyone here is making it out to be. Looks like mindless fun, and the effects are no worse than, say, Dragonheart.
Old 09-16-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or a cross between D&D, Dragonheart, Uwe Bolle's Dungeon Seige, and Stormbreaker (looks like the same main blond kid)...

Looks good though - probably as entertaining as Dragonheart
Old 09-16-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Are you kidding? The story sounds like it was written by a 16-year-old! Oh, wait.....
Of course most stories sounds like that, at least this one has a reason for it ...
Old 09-18-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks like a mindless action film that i will end up going to see.
Old 09-18-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most derivative fantasy movie ever? I mean, most "hero's journey" stories are going to have some commonality, but I loved this Amazon review:

In "Eragon," we meet the title character, a fifteen-year-old boy, being raised by his uncle in a rural area (but his name isn't "Luke"). Eragon happens to find a dragon's egg, and a beautiful, blue dragon hatches, and chooses him as her Rider (but this is not Pern). The egg had been magically hidden by a beautiful Elven princess, Arya (not Arwen), just before the servants of the evil king Galbatorix (not Sauron) catch her and imprison her. Eragon does his best to care for the young dragon, but the king's men come and burn down his home, and kill his uncle (whose name isn't "Owen"). Eragon leaves his home village, to draw the king's men away, with an old story-teller, Brom (not "Obi-Wan") who is really a dragon Rider in retirement (and never was a Jedi Knight). Eragon makes many friends, and ends up living in a stronghold of those who oppose the Empire, er, I mean the King.
It sounds like in the sequel Eragon meets up with Yoda on Dagobah.
Old 09-18-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I know this isn't Book Talk, but I thought I'd add one more review:

The Inheritance Trilogy was started when Christopher Paolini was 15, and finished when he was 19. He is now 22 and I doubt he has had the chance to develop as a writer. Those who champion this series are either completely stunned that a teenager could actually manage to put ink on paper, or just plain haven't read the literary masterpieces that he blatantly plagiarized.

The Inheritance Trilogy is the the self insertion of Paolini himself in a magical Tolkien-esque pseudo-land surrounded by a cast of horribly unlikeable cliche's. It seems that each new book brings Paolini...I mean Eragon a host of new powers, including immortality! The author passes immortality out to characters like candy at a Independence Day Parade, and the characters treat it with the same nonchalant bland stare that they treat every other "event" in the series's insanely dry plot line.

If you're a parent considering purchasing the series for your young writer, do so only as a manual for what to NOT do in their writing. I mean this literally, this is the typical writing quality of any young teen fantasy writer. Any distinguished writer must go through years of refinement, rejection, and soul searching. Paolini had these experiences robbed of him. His publisher parents' connections created this career, not a developed writing style. Moms and Dads, your child can write this well if not better, I can almost promise you; possibly without even blatantly robbing nearly word for word from much better series written by writers who have had a chance to develop. Do your child a favor and buy Tolkien, Rowling, Goodkind, or CS Lewis. Don't lower their standards, The Inheritance Trilogy could quite possibly stunt their growth as writers, I kid you not.

Fans of this series can grow near rabid as they claim that everything in the fantasy genre has been "taken" and that drawing things from those greater series is inevitable. However I find this far from true, if there is always something to imagine, that is the magic of that uniquely human ability. Those greater series drew their influence from ancient mythology, legend, and stories and created wholly unique ideas to weave their literary tapestries. Paolini in his immaturity has taken from these books and comes dangerously close to plagiarism in several instances, most likely tweaked by the insistence of his publishers. This and his own self insertion of Eragon as his insanely perfect immortal alter ego is typical of undeveloped fantasy writing, any teen can and do create it every day with online fanfictions.

I leave you with a quote from Paolini himself. When called upon to write a review for J.K. Rowling's (a truly developed writer with more than her fair share of failures) successful "Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince" this is what he had to say:

"One of the greatest pleasures of reading this series is seeing J.K.Rowling develop as a writer, and she certainly spreads her wings here".

Arrogant no? Please don't let your child end up like this.

For those who I was unable to save from the fate of buying Eragon, I must stop you from repeating this terrible mistake. Buy your child a classic, buy them mythologies and legends, buy them books on writing techniques, but for Tolkien's sake, don't buy them the Inheritance Trilogy.
Old 09-19-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the 2nd book was much better than the first, but yah, there isn't an once of originality in this series. But it was still a good read as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Old 10-31-06, 04:34 AM
Cool New Member

New movie trailer on http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/er...railer_lg.html now which IMO is much better.
Old 11-02-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That trailer makes the movie look worlds better than the first one did.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.