Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New APOCALYPTO trailer up

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New APOCALYPTO trailer up

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 10:07 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
throw in some caucasians and you've got a updated version of 'Cannibal Holocaust'
Where can that be rented and if you've seen it what did you think?
Old 12-04-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Movie is getting mostly fantastic reviews, with mentions of it being an EXTREMELY violent 'chase' movie.

And after hearing a description of one said scene, I'm also amazed it got away with an 'R' rating.

...And I'll be there opening weekend.
Old 12-04-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
Movie is getting mostly fantastic reviews, with mentions of it being an EXTREMELY violent 'chase' movie.

And after hearing a description of one said scene, I'm also amazed it got away with an 'R' rating.

means there is probably no sex in there
Old 12-04-06, 12:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

the article in the most recent EW - the interviewer noted to Gibson, that he was surprised the violence/movie received an R-rating and not a NC-17

I plan on seeing this on Friday, but buy a ticket to another film and go into 'Apocolyptic' instead - I have no intention for Fox or Mel to make money off of me.
Old 12-04-06, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vic22
Where can that be rented and if you've seen it what did you think?
there's a whole thread here:

Cannibal Holcaust U.S. release Finally...!!! (WARNING: graphic images)

and yes... I dig it.
Old 12-04-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
the article in the most recent EW - the interviewer noted to Gibson, that he was surprised the violence/movie received an R-rating and not a NC-17

I plan on seeing this on Friday, but buy a ticket to another film and go into 'Apocolyptic' instead - I have no intention for Fox or Mel to make money off of me.
Fox? I thought it was a Disney movie.
Old 12-04-06, 12:46 PM

Fox? I thought it was a Disney movie.

oops... my bad.
Old 12-04-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Variety's review is very positive, but goes into way too much detail about the storyline, in my opinion.

(I have not seen it, and am not sure I will. Not a fan of his films, but he's spot on when it comes to Jews and sugar tits.)

(I kid.)
Old 12-04-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
"Mel Gibson is sick, but his new film profits from his weakness."

Funny opening line from Ed Gonzalez's review from Slant Magazine - http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/fi...ew.asp?ID=2691
Old 12-05-06, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
I will most likely be skipping this as I have no interest in seeing a movie from a director who has made racist comments in the recent past. Plus I just got my Seinfeld Season 7 DVD in the mail and will proabably be watching that all weekend.
Old 12-05-06, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't hate him, I just think he's talentless and have no interest in anything he does.
Old 12-05-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a funny take on apocalypto can be found on the secret diary of steve jobs.

They think this is a negative review. But let me ask you something. Have you ever seen the way teenage boys react to phrases like
Spoiler:
"two-hour torture fest" and "heads and hearts removed without anesthesia"?
Well, we have. We've focus-grouped it. They flip out. Friggin saliva starts drooling out of their mouths. So thanks, Fox, for the "negative" review. Now every little Beavis and Butthead in America is gonna be sneaking out to go see this thing over and over again.
edited to add potential spoiler info.

Last edited by kms_md; 12-05-06 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-05-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a great idea.
Old 12-05-06, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I will most likely be skipping this as I have no interest in seeing a movie from a director who has made racist comments in the recent past. Plus I just got my Seinfeld Season 7 DVD in the mail and will proabably be watching that all weekend.
You just contradicted yourself. No Mel Gibson, but Kramer yes. What is the difference?
Old 12-05-06, 12:23 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilia
You just contradicted yourself. No Mel Gibson, but Kramer yes. What is the difference?
Kramer's not a movie director.
Old 12-05-06, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by HN
Kramer's not a movie director.
So what your saying is that an actor can make racial comment but a director no. Richards stuck his foot in his mouth just as bad Gibson.
Old 12-05-06, 12:42 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilia
So what your saying is that an actor can make racial comment but a director no. Richards stuck his foot in his mouth just as bad Gibson.
yes exactly.

nah. just clarifying for Perkinsun Dzees.
Old 12-05-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Old 12-05-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't see The Passion and I won't see this. I'm done with Mel Gibson. I really hope this movie tanks and Mel goes away.
Old 12-05-06, 04:47 PM

I just saw the movie. Regardless of your feelings about Gibson, I seriously recommend this film for anyone who loves intense, heart-pounding movies.
Old 12-05-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good interview with Mel in the latest EW...

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1564173_1_0_,00.html

Hollywood apparently has forgiven him (save for Mr. Schneider).

I, for one, am going to go see this. It looks freakin cool. Whether people like it or not, Mel is still one of the powerful people in Hollywood. He isn't going away. Why deprive yourselves of some great cinematic experiences just because the guy said some bad stuff? People you look up to will always let you down. Everyone has their demons. Mel just happened to be outed.
Old 12-05-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I really hope this movie tanks and Mel goes away.
Well he's been pretty quiet...hasn't had a starring role in five yrs and a nearly three yr gap between directed films.
Old 12-05-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts
I will be seeing this on friday, because I have no trouble seperating someone's personal beliefs from their professional lives. Sure Tom Cruise is a douche bag who forces that so called religion (I call it a cult) down everyones throats. But I have always been a fan of his movies going back to Top Gun. I believe Micahel Richards is not a racist. Besides he is Kramer, and was in the Weird Al cult classic UHF. This is Mel Gibson nobody does hard R actions flicks better than he does as an actor or director. For that alone I will go see it.
Old 12-08-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Excerpts from today's New York Daily News:

Mel Gibson is sicker than we thought.
As his new film "Apocalypto" makes clear, he's not just a drinker and a raving anti-Semite, but a man with a grotesque appetite for human suffering and an enormous talent for exploiting it.
There was great violence in "Braveheart," too, but it was cloaked in historical context. And the stripping of Jesus' flesh in "The Passion of the Christ" had the cover of Scripture. But "Apocalypto" exists solely as an action-adventure and a deft cinematic demonstration of man's capacity for cruelty.
This is the true passion of Mel.
If you can take unflinching views of throats being slit, heads being caved in, a man's face being eaten by a panther, beating hearts torn from men's chests and decapitated heads bounding down the steps of a pyramid, you're in for a first-rate spectacle of inhumanity. ...
Is Gibson making some kind of comment about the inhumanity of non-Christian cultures - first the Jews, now the Mayans? "Apocalypto" suggests that the pagans are about to be tamed, if not have their souls saved, by Gibson's Catholic forebears rowing ashore from the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria.
More and more, Gibson's personality problems seem beyond the scope of movie reviews. ...Now that "Apocalypto" is being seen, four months after Gibson's arrest and tirade in Malibu, some in the media are asking whether Hollywood can forgive him by bestowing an Oscar.
What an ironic possibility! This is a movie dedicated to bloodlust (forget the gods, can the audience's thirst be sated?) and not the sort of thing Academy voters typically honors with awards.
An Oscar would not be forgiveness; it would be blindness.
Originally published on December 8, 2006
Old 12-08-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Why in the world would anyone assume that this would be Oscar bait?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.