DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Luc Besson says latest film his last (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/477379-luc-besson-says-latest-film-his-last.html)

devilshalo 09-11-06 05:52 PM

Luc Besson says latest film his last

Luc Besson says latest film his last
1 hour, 57 minutes ago

PARIS - Luc Besson, director of the "The Professional" and "The Fifth Element," says his latest movie will be his last. The French filmmaker said Monday that he intended to devote himself instead to civic projects, including starting a foundation to help youths in France's depressed inner cities.

Besson's 10th and last movie, "Arthur et les Minimoys," opens in France on Dec. 13.

"They are my 10 little babies," he told RTL radio. "I love them all. I am pleased to have completed this cycle. That is finished."

Besson, 47, said he was keen to try his hand at a whole array of new projects.

"I want to take a little care of my fellow citizens. I want to take a little care of my planet. I want to act in favor of the inner cities, in favor of the environment. I want to do lots of things," he said.

"I am trying to start a foundation. I want to help youths in the inner cities. I am very sensitive about all these youths. I find that they have incredible energy."

The director's other films include "The Big Blue," "Angel-A" and "The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc."

dpz301 09-11-06 06:14 PM

interesting. i really enjoyed the professional!

flashburn 09-11-06 06:24 PM

That sucks.

Jackskeleton 09-11-06 07:15 PM

My hat is off to the man.

Maxflier 09-11-06 07:38 PM

Really sad to hear he won't be doing any more movies, but at the same time it is good to see he will be doing bigger, more important things.

Numanoid 09-11-06 07:44 PM

Bummer.

gryffinmaster 09-11-06 08:25 PM

Congrats to him. :up: He's had a hell of a career, and looks to be just starting his greatness. It does stink that no more Besson works will grace the silver screen though.

CKMorpheus 09-11-06 09:30 PM

Good for him! He's amassed quite a portfolio and it'll be sad to see him go, but putting his money towards a greater good is something I wish more people in the film industry did, so good for him! :)

meritocracy 09-11-06 09:33 PM

I wish good luck to Luc in his future endeavors, however, honestly considering the quality of his output the past few years, combined with the fact that he's essentially been content writing and producing formulaic action films lately, I'm simply not all that upset by this notice. Some time back my opinion may have been different, but then, the filmmaker I once admired has been missing for quite some time in my opinion.

Anubis2005X 09-11-06 09:59 PM

I will cherish The Fifth Element forever, thanks Besson!

Jadow 09-11-06 10:05 PM

I'd go for a sequel to the Fifth Element. That is a movie that grows on you more and more.

ArchibaldTuttle 09-11-06 10:19 PM

Selfish douchebags.... jk

The Professional, and The Fifth Element are two of my favorite movies, it's a shame he is done, but hopefully he can make a difference in his new endevours.

naitram 09-11-06 10:42 PM

He'll be back.

Kevin M. Dean 09-11-06 11:18 PM

Didn't he say the same thing years ago?

DonnachaOne 09-11-06 11:32 PM

Bah. He's already said he's doing two sequels to "Arthur and the Minimoys", under the premise that it's one big film in three parts.

How long before we see a "triumphant return", I wonder. As long as it doesn't include a half-assed Leon sequel, rumors of which he has already quashed.

The Bus 09-12-06 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
As long as it doesn't include a half-assed Leon sequel, rumors of which he has already quashed.

I think if he were to do Mathilda the Professional in ten or fifteen years, that would be awesome.

matome 09-12-06 08:06 AM

A few of his directed films are among my all time faves, but most of his produced by films are pure crap. Looking forward to this last one and hope it will be a great send-off.

PixyJunket 09-12-06 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Didn't he say the same thing years ago?

No, he's said for a LONG time that he wanted to direct ten films and stop.

The Last Battle (1983)
Subway (1985)
The Big Blue (1988)
La Femme Nikita (1990)
Atlantis (1991)
The Professional / Léon (1994)
The Fifth Element (1997)
The Messenger (1999)
Angel-A (2005)
Arthur and the Invisibles (2006)

Geofferson 09-12-06 09:22 AM

That's too bad. I've always liked his style.

Peep 09-12-06 11:11 AM

Maybe he's retiring from directing but will continue to write and produce.

TomOpus 09-12-06 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by naitram
He'll be back.

I was thinking the same thing. Give him 10 to 15 years and he might get the itch again.

PopcornTreeCt 09-12-06 09:24 PM

I didn't even know he made that many films.