DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Flags of Our Father Movie Trailer Online (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/477095-flags-our-father-movie-trailer-online.html)

dcprules 09-08-06 02:09 PM

Flags of Our Father Movie Trailer Online

Check out the trailer for the Clint Eastwood directed and Steven Spielberg produced Flags of Our Father over at www.military.com It is supposed to be released on October 20th, followed by Letters from Iwo Jima in December.

fryinpan1 09-09-06 07:44 AM

It looks pretty good.

Filmmaker 09-09-06 09:13 AM

God, I hope this delivers. Eastwood directed two of, IMO, the greatest films of the '90s (UNFORGIVEN and THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY--yeah, I said BRIDGES, get over your alpha-maleness), but failed me with MYSTIC RIVER and, to a lesser degree, MILLION DOLLAR BABY, so I'm not sure where I stand with the guy as a moviegoer anymore...

Troy Stiffler 09-09-06 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
God, I hope this delivers. Eastwood directed two of, IMO, the greatest films of the '90s (UNFORGIVEN and THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY--yeah, I said BRIDGES, get over your alpha-maleness), but failed me with MYSTIC RIVER and, to a lesser degree, MILLION DOLLAR BABY, so I'm not sure where I stand with the guy as a moviegoer anymore...

What? Those are the best!

The real stinkers are Absolute Power, True Crime, and Blood Work. Blood Work being a genuinely failed project. The only way that movie could have been more of a failure is if it was cancelled.

DVD Josh 09-09-06 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler

The real stinkers are Absolute Power, True Crime, and Blood Work. Blood Work being a genuinely failed project. The only way that movie could have been more of a failure is if it was cancelled.

He always seems to get a pass for those, doesn't he?

RyoHazuki 09-09-06 02:58 PM

Looks awesome. I like the international trailer better though. I wonder if Japan's army website is gonna get exclusive rights to the Black Sand Red Sun trailer.

hardercore 09-09-06 03:18 PM

Eastwood's best work has come out of the 21st Century. Mystic River is IMO his best, followed by Million Dollar Baby (the "Danger" character alwasy bugged me about that film, and the caricature-like portrayal of Maggie's family). Unforgiven is also brilliant, but I'd put it behind those two. Flags of Our Fathers looks like it'll be really good as well ... Clint is on a roll.

Filmmaker 09-09-06 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler

I know my opinion in this matter is an unpopular one but all I can say in defense is that I really wanted to like both but just...didn't.

The Bus 09-09-06 05:27 PM

Filmmaker, you're crazy :). Mystic River is his best movie since Unforgiven (and is better than that, IMO).

Filmmaker 09-09-06 07:01 PM

If I'm crazy, I don't wanna be sane...

BradJ 09-09-06 09:01 PM

I saw it the first time when it was called "Wind Talkers"...

Seriously... I really wanted to like it... but didn't.
The international trailer, though, looks better... Letters from Iwo Jima (Eastwood's other movie, from the Japanese perspective...)

bdshort 09-10-06 08:46 PM

Windows Media Player is telling me it can't play this file, and that I should connect to the internet to play it. Duh... I'm on the internet... Someone have a direct download?

Brian

lawyer goodwill 09-10-06 09:39 PM

Unforgiven remains my favorite movie, period; but I consider A Perfect World a great, underrated movie by Clint. I guess it had the misfortune of being his follow-up to Unforgiven ...

Spiderbite 09-10-06 11:33 PM

In my opinion, Eastwood hasn't directed a decent movie since Unforgiven. Mystic River & Million Dollar Baby have to be the most overrated movies of the last few years.

Give me Outlaw Josey Wales over anything else he's directed any day!

rexinnih 09-11-06 07:24 AM

This looks to be pretty powerful.

RichC2 09-11-06 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BradJ
I saw it the first time when it was called "Wind Talkers"...

Seriously... I really wanted to like it... but didn't.
The international trailer, though, looks better... Letters from Iwo Jima (Eastwood's other movie, from the Japanese perspective...)

I'd have no problems with Wind Talkers being made into a good movie.

fernsita 09-11-06 02:00 PM

This looks fantastic! I can't wait for it to come out!

Shannon Nutt 09-11-06 03:17 PM

Mystic River is Eastwood's BEST film, period. Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven are the two that are a tad overrated (although I love them both a lot).

Flags of our Fathers looks so-so. I think - FINALLY - this is going to be Scorcese's year to shine. The Departed looks like Oscar Gold to me.

slabinskia 09-11-06 05:18 PM

Am I the only one who liked absolute power ? It reminded me of the 1987 movie No Way Out which I also liked.

slop101 09-11-06 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
In my opinion, Eastwood hasn't directed a decent movie since Unforgiven. Mystic River & Million Dollar Baby have to be the most overrated movies of the last few years.

Can I get an Amen!

RyoHazuki 09-11-06 08:22 PM

You wouldnt even consider those two decent? I mean, overrated maybe, but saying they're not even decent?

Spiderbite 09-11-06 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
You wouldnt even consider those two decent? I mean, overrated maybe, but saying they're not even decent?

Nah. Mystic River was just plain dull and predictible with okay performances...but acting does not a good story make. It just felt that I had seen it all before in various movies and just felt like a retread. And don't get me started on what an overrated actor Tim Robbins is.

Million Dollar Baby is like watching a Lifetime or Oxygen channel movie of the week. From the middle of the movie to the end is just so ridiculous and desperate in trying to pull heart strings that it just felt lame.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why people liked them...but many people also like Shakespeare in Love & Moulin Rouge too. To each his own.

gryffinmaster 09-11-06 11:03 PM

Overrated? Agreed. Still great films? Yes, but Unforgiven is their superior, imho.

BradJ 09-12-06 11:08 PM

Don't get me wrong, I can see why people liked them...but many people also like Shakespeare in Love & Moulin Rouge too. To each his own.

Hey, I liked Shakespeare in Love!!!!!

lawyer goodwill 09-12-06 11:24 PM

I really wanted to like Mystic River, but it just didn't work with me. Just felt like it was trying too hard. I actually thought Bacon's low-key performance was the real highlight. Penn and Robbins have been more deserving of Oscars in other roles; Mystic River had that "striving for Oscar gold" vibe throughout.

I believe Million Dollar Baby was a step up, but still not peak Clint. I actually like many of the recent "lesser Clint" flicks (Absolute Power, Blood Work, etc.). They at least hit the spot for me when nothing else is on cable.

And what's the deal, no love for Space Cowboys!?!