Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

THE THING: prequel

Old 09-14-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Isn't that basically In the Mouth of Madness, except for the tanks?
To a degree but that was a small part of the film and not the scale I'm thinking of. Picture a thing 15 stories high with a shark for a hand, grabbing people and tentacles swiping at tanks; how would that not be cool?

And to SolidSnake, I'd like to know how that is resembling the horror/action crap of the last 10 years? The Thing had dogs as a part of the monster, does that make it utter crap? The logical progression of the story is worldwide infection.
Old 09-15-08, 12:13 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes...but I keep thinking that idea has unfortunately progressed into things like the RE films and whatnot. While I could say they were influenced by The Thing, and hey they heavily could based on what they are. I just see this being to much of something that would be given to Paul W.S. Anderson. And being demolished by his craft only to be fed to people...
Old 09-15-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bet this will be as good as the Fog remake.
Old 09-15-08, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I just watched The Thing. The movie holds up pretty well. They don't make movies like this any more. Probably best to just leave it alone.
Old 09-15-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmanca
To a degree but that was a small part of the film and not the scale I'm thinking of. Picture a thing 15 stories high with a shark for a hand, grabbing people and tentacles swiping at tanks; how would that not be cool?

And to SolidSnake, I'd like to know how that is resembling the horror/action crap of the last 10 years? The Thing had dogs as a part of the monster, does that make it utter crap? The logical progression of the story is worldwide infection.
I think, for me, it's primarily because The Thing is, for the most part, a quiet, psychological thriller. It deals more with the tangled quandry of the mind, and the deconstruction of the interconnectivity of the men at the station.

This is just not something that could be accomplished with the idea that was thrown out. I suppose that it could, but, quite simply, the past few years have not imbued me with a great sense of hope. If it is in the vein of rw2516's idea, then by all means, go forth. Even as a sequel, if it were to be both wide-reaching in scope, but narrow in actual implementation, it could work well.

But right now... I just don't see anything like that happening.
Old 09-15-08, 04:32 PM

Oh I agree on both points, I don't think that they will capture what the original had and I don't think you could only do scenes of what I proposed, they'd just replace the action scenes but you'd still need the psychological aspect. But one of the great things of The Thing were the monsters and I'd like to see Rob Bottin back on a grander scale and see what he could come up with.

Last edited by gmanca; 09-15-08 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-27-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Bloody-Disgusting:
Here's a little holiday present we got our hands on just for you! This afternoon we got the working plot details for Universal Pictures and Strike Entertainment's The Thing, their supposed "prequel" to John Carpenter's remake from 1982 that starred Kurt Russell and dealt with a shape-shifting creature from outer space that terrorizes researchers at an Antarctic facility. Read on to check it out.

"In the screenplay by Ronald D. Moore, the prequel takes place from the Norwegian camps point of view. An American scientific expedition to the frozen wastes of the Antarctic is interrupted by a group of seemingly mad Norwegians pursuing and shooting a dog.

The helicopter pursuing the dog crashes leaving no explanation for the chase.

During the night, the dog mutates and attacks other dogs in the cage and members of the team that investigate. The team soon realize that an alien life-form with the ability to take over bodies is on the loose and they don't know who may already have been taken over."
Old 12-27-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
It is, of course, a terrible idea for film.

But the natural expectation for the prequel is to start with the Norwegians and the hows and whys and whats of them discovering the craft, exhuming the body of the alien, the alien thawing out and what happens at that camp.
What I thought.

Makes the most sense.

It'll probably be crap with overdone CGI.
Old 12-27-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Is that a joke? Because what's described there is a remake rather than a prequel.
Old 12-27-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I suppose that since we already know what happens to everyone at the Norweigan camp, the ending has been been blown from the get-go.

That being said, I'd rather see a sequel or a remake.
Old 12-28-08, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
No sequels, prequels or remakes please. This film is perfect on it's own.
Old 01-29-09, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: THE THING: prequel

Variety has confirmed that Universal Pictures has set "Battlestar Galactica" producer Ron Moore to write the script and commercials director Matthijs Van Heijningen to direct a remake of John Carpenter's 1982 film "The Thing."

New project borrows heavily from the John W. Campbell Jr. short story "Who Goes There," the basis of the Carpenter film and 1951 Howard Hawks original "The Thing From Another World."

It is set in a Norwegian camp and chronicles how the shape-shifting alien was first discovered and overcame the inhabitants of that camp.

Van Heijningen has shot blurbs for brands including Toyota, Pepsi, Heineken, Bud Light and Visa. He is also developing "Army of the Dead" at Warner Bros with producer Zack Snyder.
Why remake one of the greatest movies of all time??? Somebody please explain.
Old 01-29-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

lol
Old 01-29-09, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'd get a couple big name actors(Christian Bale, Edward Norton, etc.) who can really act as the Norweigians. Make it psychological drama about paranoia as these two guys increasingly distrust each other(similar to the 70s TV Move "Cold Night's Death" with Robert Culp and Eli Wallach). Save the effects for last 30 minutes or so as one of the guys finally turns into the monster and the other guy has to fight it off and burns their station down. The remaining guy takes off after the dog. Long shots of the station from Carpenter's movie as the guy chases the dog towards the station. A shot rings out and screen goes black, credits roll.
That actually sounds really amazing. If they were to make the movie like this I would be eagerly awaiting it.
Old 01-29-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The fact that Ron Moore is writing is a plus although he did write the Trek movie where they killed Kirk and that was a mess.
Overall though, I have to say, don't mess with it.
Old 01-29-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The director is pushing for one of the Norwegians to be RJ MacReady's brother. This is really stupid. Sometimes in films, there's wiggle room for that kind of retconning, but he doesn't think MacReady might have said "Oh shit, my brother was posted here!" in the original had this been true?

I am baffled as to why the various plot rundowns described all sound more like a remake than a prequel, yet emphasize that the movie is about the Norwegians.
Old 04-08-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I pray they don't screw this up.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/07/...-to-the-thing/

First Set Image for Universal’s Prequel to The Thing
Posted on Wednesday, April 7th, 2010 by Russ Fischer

Briefly: Just the other day I ran some info about the prequel to The Thing, which stars Joel Edgerton, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and is being directed by Matthijs van Heijningen. The film is shooting exteriors now in Toronto, and we’ve just been sent an image of the set for the Norwegian research camp where the action takes place.

On one hand, this isn’t a terribly exciting image. But for fans of Carpenter’s film, this certainly looks right. Snow. Barrels. Buildings. Yep, it’s all there. Wait…there’s no blood. Or dogs. They’ll come, I’m sure. I don’t currently have access to the DVD, or I’d screencap the original to do a little comparison. (If anyone wants to pull that screencap, please send it along.)

Not a lot of other info to share right now, but reportedly quite a few practical creature effects are being developed. There will be CGI, too, but I’m happy to hear that won’t be the only technique used to create the alien. The cast is great and the set looks good, so let’s go with optimism for now. Thanks to J&B for the image, which you can click to enlarge slightly.

Old 04-08-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ehhh...at least it's got mary elizabeth winstead. i doubt this will turn out good.
Old 04-08-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The crew is saying the right things, and the set looks good, but I have ZERO doubt in my mind that this will suck a big dick.
Old 04-08-10, 02:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I bet if you surveyed the 100 biggest fans of the original before this was announced, none of them would have wanted this.

Instead of a prequel, they should have opted for a remake where instead being a shape-shifter the "Thing" was a giant carrot.
Old 04-08-10, 04:35 PM

Why o why didn't they just let Carpenter have the freedom and budget to make his sequel instead,i have no faith in this project,0
Old 04-08-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Uhmm...I don't recall anyone in the 1982 version ever finding a woman's remains at the Norwegian outpost. Also, wasn't there a video game released circa 2001/2002 that was pretty much supposed to be the prequel?

If they went with the premise someone mentioned above of making it all psychological, to the point where one wonders if there really is a Thing until the last third of the movie, then it would have promise. The Norwegians could slowly go crazy killing each other and themselves out of paranoia, and then the "twist" is that the Thing exists and escapes, thus setting up for the "sequel" that is actually a remake while also being the inspiration for a re-imagining.
Old 04-08-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Uhmm...I don't recall anyone in the 1982 version ever finding a woman's remains at the Norwegian outpost. Also, wasn't there a video game released circa 2001/2002 that was pretty much supposed to be the prequel?
No, that was a sequel.
Old 04-08-10, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That video game was intense. It really made you feel as paranoid as the characters in the movie do.
Old 04-08-10, 05:08 PM

Yeah, I couldn't finish it because I freaked myself out since I "had" to play it in the dark; the fact that you could check and clear your NPC's for infestations and they'd still turn was what would get me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.