Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite part of Moore's Bond era

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: favorite Moore era
Guy Hamilton era
30.00%
Lewis Gilbert era
60.00%
John Glen era
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-06, 07:52 PM
En vacance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger Moore has done the most Bond movies with 7 (or equal to Connery's run if you count the unofficial NSNA) but his films each had 3 directors to mold their signature style for his era, also they didn't jump around but did all their movies in order, Guy Hamilton did the first two, then Lewis Gilbert the next two and John Glen the final three so Moore's Bond run is divided into 3 different eras. Guy Hamilton brought a stylized and more gritty angle with Live and Let Die and The Man with the Golden Gun, Lewis Gilbert brought an eye for epic scope with The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker and John Glen had a workman style, just getting through a scene and going through the paces.

I'd have to pick Gilbert's era of TSWLM and MR. MR is probably considered the weakspot but i like it and it has a larger-than-life feel to it which Lewis Gilbert specialized in all the three Bond movies he directed (the other being the epic You Only Live Twice). Guy Hamilton's run i didn't like LALD but did like TMWTGG (which many seem to loathe), it was shot flat and so has a gritty look to it and it's just two guys trying to kill each other (i overlook the annoying midget/sheriff).
Old 09-02-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's between Hamilton and Gilbert. I like both Live and Let Die (it's not great, but has some good parts) and The Man with the Golden Gun (I like TMwtGG a lot, it reminds me of the Avengers), but the Spy who loved me is better than either. Moonraker and all the John Glen ones (especially Octopussy) I don't like as well. I guess I'd pick Gilbert for directing (IMO) the best Roger Moore Bond movie.
Old 09-03-06, 02:31 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I think for epic scale type movie: Golden Gun
My favorite: For your eyes only. If only they had gotten a different score.
Old 09-03-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Live and Let Die more than most, so I went with Guy Hamilton. Plus he has no Moonraker to bring him down
Old 09-03-06, 06:33 PM
En vacance

Actually Golden Gun is considered the most down-to-earth, total opposite of epic Bond, along with FYEO for Moore.
Old 09-03-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the first two, Live and Let Die/Man With Golden Gun best. I think because, except for the New York scenes in LALD which look like cheap AIP blaxplotation flick, they still feel like the preceeding films to me. Spy Who Loved Me has always felt like the first of a new era to me.