DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   TCM Underground Movies (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/476440-tcm-underground-movies.html)

Buford T Pusser 09-02-06 03:48 PM

TCM Underground Movies

This sounds fun and may possibly be the first time any Russ Meyer flicks have been shown on TV.

All of the movies I've heard of I've seen and the others are unknown to me. Hope they're worth a taping.

TCM Welcomes Auteur Filmmaker and Music Artist Rob Zombie as Host Of New Cult Movie Showcase on TCM

Turner Classic Movies is taking a walk on the wild side as it welcomes auteur filmmaker and legendary rocker Rob Zombie as the host of the network's newest weekly movie showcase, TCM UNDERGROUND. The late-night franchise, which will feature off-the-wall movies chosen and introduced by Zombie, is set to launch in October.

"TCM UNDERGROUND will serve as home to some of the truly visionary cult films that have been made over the past century, from stylish horror movies to offbeat black comedies," said Tom Karsch, executive vice president and general manager for TCM. "We are proud to have a talent like Rob Zombie hosting this showcase, which is certain to broaden TCM's appeal beyond our loyal core audience."

Among the movies set to be featured in the TCM UNDERGROUND are Russ Meyer's iconic Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, horror master George Romero's The Crazies, Ed Wood's Bride Of The Monster and Brian De Palma's creepy Sisters, as well as Leonard Castle's offbeat The Honeymoon Killers, the story of which also serves as the basis for the new thriller Lonely Hearts, starring John Travolta, James Gandolfini, Salma Hayek, Jared Leto and Laura Dern.

Zombie has made a name for himself challenging audiences by stretching the boundaries of film, music and publishing. He recently took film to a new level with his critically acclaimed House of 1000 Corpses and its high-octane follow-up The Devil's Rejects, and he is now working on his next film project, the animated horror film The Haunted World of Superbeasto starring Academy Award nominee Paul Giamatti, slated for release later this year.

As the longest active artist on Geffen Records and the most prolific Geffen artist when it comes to Gold and Platinum discs, Zombie has sold in excess of fifteen million records worldwide. This past March, his new album Educated Horses entered the billboard charts at #5. Zombie is also a seasoned video director, with more than 25 videos to his credit. In 1995, he won an MTV Music Video Award for "More Human Than Human," becoming the first self-directed artist to win such an award.

Here is the schedule for TCM UNDERGROUND: 2006 TCM UNDERGROUND SCHEDULE
**All times Eastern and titles subject to change

Friday, October 13
2:00 AM Plan 9 from Outer Space (’59) seen
3:30 AM Bride of the Monster (’55)

Friday, October 20
2:00 AM Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (’65) own
3:30 AM Mudhoney (’65) own

Friday, October 27
2:00 AM Night of the Living Dead (’68) own
3:45 AM The Crazies (’73) own

Friday, November 3
2:00 AM Sisters (’73) seen

Friday, November 10
2:00 AM Electra Glide in Blue (’73)

Friday, November 17
2:00 AM Freaks (’32) seen
3:15 AM Mark of the Vampire (’35)

Friday, November 24
2:00 AM The Sadist (’63)
3:45 AM Wild Guitar (’62) Roy Orbison!

Friday, December 1
2:00 AM The Conqueror Worm (’68)

Friday, December 8
2:00 AM The Honeymoon Killers (’70) seen

Friday, December 15
2:00 AM Deranged (’74) own

Friday, December 22
2:00 AM West of Zanzibar (’28)
3:45 AM Unholy Three (’25)

Friday, December 29
2:00 AM Madhouse (’74)
3:45 AM The Last Man on Earth (’64)

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=143975

alfonsosoriano 09-02-06 03:58 PM

Ha, that's awesome stuff right there. A few good ones.

Mondo Kane 09-02-06 04:19 PM

Big surprise there on the Russ Meyer flicks!

I remember Zombie doing some hosting for the Sci-Fi channel one particular week in October '95. He introduced some of the same movies on this list.
I'll still be tuning in!

Spiderbite 09-02-06 04:29 PM

This will help my numbers for the October horror movie challenge!

fryinpan1 09-02-06 04:53 PM

I want to see Mark of the Vampire. Now I do not have to buy the Hollywood's Legends of Horror Collection on DVD just to see it.

alfonsosoriano 09-02-06 10:38 PM

Plan 9 from Outer Space for the win!

Also, I assume The Crazies is the George A. Romero movie? That's awesome.

The Cow 09-02-06 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Plan 9 from Outer Space for the win!

Not even close. I'm looking forward mostly to the ones I have never seen and aren't readily available. Those are the wins!

Dr. DVD 09-03-06 11:13 AM

Gotta set my DVR for that stuff, and make sure I bump this thread to remind me occasionally.

Geofferson 09-03-06 12:45 PM

Great selection of cult classics. :up:

DePalma's The Phantom of the Paradise should be coupled with Sisters though.

Al Padrino 09-03-06 01:47 PM

I didn't even realize Mark of the Vampire was getting a DVD release. I'll be picking that up. But that double feature on 11/17 shall be awesome. A lot of interesting titles on the list and TCM continues to offer something for just about everyone.

zombiezilla 09-03-06 08:23 PM

Excellent, Smithers.

marty888 09-03-06 09:42 PM

Looks like a lot of good stuff there!

mndtrp 09-04-06 01:15 AM

Very nice.

Giles 09-05-06 08:41 AM

unreal - cool news! quite a few of those there will be TV-MA rated obviousily.

AGuyNamedMike 09-05-06 01:40 PM

Sah-wah-wah-weet!

Cameron 09-05-06 01:59 PM

this gets me pumped....

fryinpan1 10-13-06 05:52 PM

bumping for tonight:

Friday, October 13
2:00 AM Plan 9 from Outer Space (’59)
3:30 AM Bride of the Monster (’55)

DthRdrX 10-13-06 05:54 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the reminder as I almost forgot!

DJLinus 10-13-06 07:31 PM

Looking forward to tonight, as I've never seen Plan 9. Actually, most of these movies are new to me, so this should be fun.

Official site: http://tcmunderground.com/

Mondo Kane 10-13-06 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Looking forward to tonight, as I've never seen Plan 9.

I first saw Plan 9 on TNT's "100% Weird". Hopefully UNDERGROUND will last longer than that show did.

NoirFan 10-13-06 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Friday, November 10
2:00 AM Electra Glide in Blue (’73)

This is an superb, little known gem. Doesen't fit in with the other titles though - a moody, slow-paced character study, with no horror/sci-fi/genre elements. Worth watching or taping.

Geofferson 10-13-06 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
This is an superb, little known gem. Doesen't fit in with the other titles though - a moody, slow-paced character study, with no horror/sci-fi/genre elements. Worth watching or taping.

Agreed - great flick. :up:

NoirFan 10-13-06 08:53 PM

Amusing commentary on the DVD too - the director become increasingly defensive about having little to comment on.

Buford T Pusser 10-13-06 11:45 PM

Thanks for the bump. I wanted to do this the other day and for some odd reason when I did a search for Zombie and underground I just got responses about no such thing found. :confused:

Mondo Kane 10-14-06 12:45 PM

It was cool to see that little featurette between movies last night which had Jack Hill,Sid Haig,Tura,Haji,etc...Talking about cult flicks. :up:

I taped Bride/Monster and Old Dark House. I'll watch 'em later.