DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   A Movie that Could Really use a CGI Make Over (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/476375-movie-could-really-use-cgi-make-over.html)

Jadow 09-01-06 11:37 PM

A Movie that Could Really use a CGI Make Over

The Last Starfighter

What do ya think? Gotta admit the space fx in Starfighter look worse than most modern day video games.

hardercore 09-01-06 11:43 PM

Star Wars Episodes IV-VI.

Just Kidding.

natevines 09-01-06 11:57 PM

I disagree. It would make it a different film if it had good, believable CGI. This and TRON I appreciate for their old school, '80s CGI. Makes me so nostalgic!

hindolio 09-02-06 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by natevines
I disagree. It would make it a different film if it had good, believable CGI. This and TRON I appreciate for their old school, '80s CGI. Makes me so nostalgic!

tron is timeless dood :D2:

SINGLE104 09-02-06 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jadow
The Last Starfighter

What do ya think? Gotta admit the space fx in Starfighter look worse than most modern day video games.

Well considering 1984, (twenty two years ago) when the movie was made, high tech special effects being produced in films today, were not yet invented, as compared to advanced modern day computer generated technology.

PatrickMcCart 09-02-06 12:53 AM

Sh! The Octopus

PopcornTreeCt 09-02-06 12:57 AM

Ghostbusters

hiccup 09-02-06 12:59 AM

Besides UltraViolet needing a total overhaul, the CGI definitely should have been done better, especially for what is being put out there now.

Filmmaker 09-02-06 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jadow
The Last Starfighter

I disagree 100%; there's a "je ne sais quoi" quality to this type of CGI (similar to the opening credits of AMAZING STORIES that I've been watching on DVD recently) that's been lost in the advance of CGI evolution that I really love and would hate to see go.

Giantrobo 09-02-06 09:06 AM

The most recent Godzilla movies had some cgi but a lot of it was crappy looking and could use an overhaul. You would think the the Japanese would be ahead of the pack with CGI but I guess not.

SINGLE104 09-02-06 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The most recent Godzilla movies had some cgi but a lot of it was crappy looking and could use an overhaul. You would think the the Japanese would be ahead of the pack with CGI but I guess not.

What Filmmaker has insinuated above, this would drastically ruin the film's original cinematography of it's era.

alfredog1976 09-02-06 10:31 AM

Clash Of The Titans

gryffinmaster 09-02-06 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Ghostbusters

You know, the technology they used for the Ghosbuster flicks was pretty sharp, imho. I think the way they crafted the creatures gives them more of a "tangible" feel to them. :shrug:

Neeb 09-02-06 11:24 AM

Dune. 1984 version. If only so they wouldn't have to use the same three FX shots. What did happen to the FX budget?

Of course, I'd like David Lynch to come back and recut the thing...

maingon 09-02-06 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Ghostbusters

I dont know about this one, some stuff could use CGI to get the black lines around some of the creatures and ghost, but most of it is pretty perfect the Lady ghost in the libary is still well done, and the marshmallow man I think when you first see him walking down the street still looks fantastic and that has held up very welll over the years.

zombiezilla 09-02-06 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Clash Of The Titans

I will hunt down and make very sorry anyone who dares lay a finger on ANY Harryhausen effects with the intent to "upgrade" them with CGI.

Mondo Kane 09-02-06 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

That same thought went through my mind when I was watching Godzilla 2000!

I've been calling out Clash of the Titans for awhile now, and after seeing Davy Jones in POTC2, there's still hope that CG can actually fool a viewer these days.

DRG 09-02-06 09:41 PM

I wouldn't mind if they redid some of the effects in The Terminator just so it doesn't look so obviously low budget compared to the big budget sequels. Namely I'm thinking of the Arnie eyeball surgery scene, but the endoskeleton at the end could use a makeover as well. Of course this is with the assurance the new version would not replace the old one, just supplement it.

SINGLE104 09-02-06 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Clash Of The Titans

Clash of the Titans is perfect just the way it is, along with the old Sinbad fantasy/mythology classics as well.

Squirrel God 09-02-06 10:08 PM

Gremlins.

SINGLE104 09-02-06 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
I wouldn't mind if they redid some of the effects in The Terminator just so it doesn't look so obviously low budget compared to the big budget sequels. Namely I'm thinking of the Arnie eyeball surgery scene, but the endoskeleton at the end could use a makeover as well. Of course this is with the assurance the new version would not replace the old one, just supplement it.

If this were to happen, the majority of the true die hard fans of The Teminator would much prefer the original movie, over a remake. It's authencity what make it so special. There are two sequels currently in exsistence, which features, new and improved CGI technology as a continuation of the story.

Supermallet 09-02-06 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
Gremlins.

?!? The SFX in Gremlins are awesome! Obviously not as good as in Gremlins 2: The New Batch, but still very good.

Peep 09-03-06 12:16 AM

Tron. That movie looked like crap 5 years after it was released.

Brent L 09-03-06 12:21 AM

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/2/8...2aece71558.gif

I can't decide if I'd like to see that be done a bit better, or if I love it as it is just because of how crazy it looks. :lol:

MartinBlank 09-03-06 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by hardercore
Star Wars Episodes IV-VI.

Just Kidding.

:lol:

Beat me too it.