DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Crank reviews (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/476313-crank-reviews.html)

sabre 09-01-06 01:24 PM

Crank reviews

Since the other thread has been closed. Just saw this today.

Okay movie, good concept. Movie goes with the concept pretty much the whole way. Jason Stratham is game in the role. Plays a not to likeable and annoyingly low class hit man. Amy Smart has guts. She handles some crazy scenes well, very gutty for an actress.

The movie is a little too street, crass and classless for me. An english guy hooked up with the people he's supposed to be dealing with, not that believable. Not believable at all is the set up with drug, drug dealers having access to that, please. (Not a spoiler) Too much mtv style editing and effects. Not a hip hop fan so i guess it's not meant to appeal to me.

Decent movie, I heard that it only cost 15 million or so, there are no unbelievable stunts in the movie but they did a good job with the money they were given. Not nearly as good as transporter and transporter 2 as was Jason Stratham.
Amy smart in a small thankless role is, no real nudity, Check out road trip for that, but is like I said gutty to do a scene like that in front of 100 people.

MrX 09-02-06 12:24 AM

I just got back from this. I got what I paid fow which was a mindless 90 minute action movie. The sex scene outside was hilarious.

Amy Smart looked fantastic as always, though her character was an over the top ditz.

I was actually counting all the people that were from TV shows I watch. Weevil from Veronica Mars was the gang guy talking to Chev in the sweat shop, Dennis from It's Always Sunny In Philadpelhia was the hospital worker Chev had shock his heart, and Wu from Deadwood was Don Kim.

I'd give it a B overall

sixerb 09-02-06 12:49 AM

decent mindless action flick with a few laughs... worth the free johnny walker free movie ticket i used....

IDrinkMolson 09-03-06 07:05 PM

I caught this over the weekend, and I thought it was pretty good. It almost couldn't decide whether to be an action flick or a comedy. I think it works pretty well. Although the comedy was not that traditional as Jason was for the most part doing the funny by himself.
I'm glad I caught it on the big screen though. With the herky-jerky drug/adrenalin induced camera motion, I think it will look much better on the big screen as opposed to the Home theater.

Cardiff Giant11 09-03-06 10:45 PM

mindless-yes
funny-hell yes
enjoyable-definitely

my friends wanted to see this and i wasn't really into the idea but i went along anyway since there wasn't much else going on. I have to say i really liked it. Just a good mindless and fun movie.

whynotsmile 09-04-06 07:25 PM

me and a friend saw it. Both of us loved it. We were buzzing on coffee and felt like we could keep up with him. Most fun film i've seen in a while.

and i thought it had a great ending.

Kudama 09-04-06 07:50 PM

Mindless my ass!!!

This was probably one of the smartest comedies I’ve seen in a long time. The hiccup scene was genius. It knew how to lead for laughs so well
Spoiler:
”If you want to make some waffles…”
I’m not being sarcastic. I was crying with laughter through the whole movie. Was it crass, politically incorrect, misogynistic and just plain mean? I don’t fuckin’ know. But, if you ever wondered what a Popeye cartoon would be like if spinach was represented by every other drug on the planet, see it.

Also: last few frames…smooch. (i.e. cool ending)

Spoiler:
no sequel

SPiRAL 09-04-06 10:56 PM

I enjoyed it and so did the audience I saw it with. We saw it at the theater across the street from where they filmed the mall scene. The crowd was going nuts for that part,all kinds of people saying, oh shit that's the mall. Same thing happened when I went to see Clerks 2, the go cart scene was filmed out side of the theater we were at. (diff. theater)
All in all, I usually don't like action films, but this one was great.

JHosk 09-05-06 07:29 AM

Another thumbs up from me. It was agreat mix of action and comedy. The movie moved at a wicked pace, and never once got boring.

We saw it with another couple. Both me, my wife, and my buddy liked it, while my buddy's wife wasn't too keen on it. So, three out of four ain't bad.

Kudama 09-05-06 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by JHosk
We saw it with another couple. Both me, my wife, and my buddy liked it, while my buddy's wife wasn't too keen on it. So, three out of four ain't bad.

Tell your friend that his wife sucks. :p

Gdrlv 09-05-06 11:07 AM

I thought it was great. Extremely enjoyable...barely let up for the entire film.

One thing I found amusing was how many times he was able to change his clothes in the span of 90 minutes. He dies as soon as he slows down but still finds the time to put on a new outfit every 15-20 minutes.

sirbrady 09-06-06 05:53 PM

I went in with low expectations, and I liked it. Moved quickly so I didn't get bored. I watched Transporter 2 before seeing it, so I was ready.

Emma311 09-06-06 07:07 PM

I wanted to see it just cause I have a crush on The Transporter (c'mon you know that's how you refer to him, even if you know his name). Much better than I expected, a lot of fun. I'm totally sick of seeing Amy Smart pop up in everything though.

Originally Posted by Kudama
Also: last few frames…smooch. (i.e. cool ending)
Spoiler:
no sequel

Spoiler:
I think they set it up so they could in fact do a sequel. He blinked after he hit the ground.

maingon 09-06-06 08:09 PM

Seen it tonight and I liked it, alittle to long for the concept. Still lots of laughs, Amy Smart was great in it though.

JimRochester 11-12-06 06:11 PM

Wild movie. Would have liked to see JS do some of his martial arts fight scenes in like in Transporter. Will definately check out the DVD but this one is better on the big screen.

Amy Smart was wild in that movie.

[rant]A couple brought some pre-teen girls to the movie. It was the $1 theater so it's not unusual to get a "different" crowd. One question. Do you really need to bring pre-teens to a movie with splattering brains, public sex and automobile BJ's? I think there were a few PG-13 movies that would have been more than sufficient [/end of rant]