Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Protector starring Tony Jaa (Ong Bak) Sept. 8th

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Protector starring Tony Jaa (Ong Bak) Sept. 8th

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 11:34 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks interesting. I watched Omg Bak, did anyone else find their accents are a bit too harsh?
Old 09-06-06, 03:11 AM

not sure if this add to the movie.. but Jaa is generally a very nice guy also.. coming from very poor family and now rich and famous.. i think he spend his fortune in building (moderate size) houses for his folk in Thailand, not sure if he own couple of elephants also.. since that's why he love... nice guy
Old 09-06-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Orndorf
Well, I’ve seen TOM YUM GOONG, and I loved it to pieces.

Tonight, I saw THE PROTECTOR.

The changes (as far as I could tell):

Spoiler:

- Opening narration is simplified, and now includes multiple Muay Thai references and introduces Jaa’s character as “Cam.”
- The spirituality angle to the whole film has been eliminated. All the Buddhist material in the opening has been cut.
- To get to the action quickly, the opening 20 minutes of the film has been sliced down to about 10.
- Most of (not all) the bone breaking sound effects have been toned down considerably.
- The animal rights/sympathy angle has been deleted. The protest newscast has been cut.
- “Mark” the cop; his whole introduction sequence including the comedic bit with the earpiece at the barbershop and the convenience store bust (which pays off later in the film) has been cut. Basically, his whole character has been gutted by the new edit.
- Same with the prostitute who helps Cam. She’s essentially a random golden ticket now, helping Cam when he gets into trouble.
- Here’s a huge change: all references to Madam Rose’s transsexuality have been excised.
- Mark’s escape from the mud bath massacre on a Segway is gone.
- Most of the news broadcasts are deleted.
- Bad boy Johnny exits the film after Rose chastises him from her bath, not at the end of the film in a lobby shootout.
- Temple dialog scene cut, but the water fight remains.
- The bits involving Rose’s spiritual power harvested from the dead elephant have been lifted out of the final fight sequence.
- And this one cut leaves me perplexed: at the end of the film, the baby elephant is still tossed by the enormous bad guys, but all the shots where it breaks through a glass window have been cut. I mean, the thing lives! Why cut that out?

In other words, yes, the Weinsteins butchered it. It’s still a great piece of martial arts cinema that I highly recommend, but it really lost a chunk of its power in the new cut.

If you can get yourself to a copy of “Tom Yum Goong,” that’s clearly the better version of the film.
Wow, that's a lot of cuts. With that many they should of at least added the one fight scene that looks like it was cut from TYG.

Spoiler:
I believe there was a fight right before Jaa fights the Capioera guy in the temple. You can see a few bodies lying around that look like bad guys in the water while their fighting. My friend says their victims of the bad guys when they came there looking for Jaa. I don't know. Maybe, but I think there was a cut scene.
Old 09-06-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it still subtitled? Also, what are the chances of the weinstiens releasing the full uncut version on dvd? The bone breaking stuff might have been due to rating reasons.(or you're theater had shitty sound.)
Old 09-06-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
is it still subtitled? Also, what are the chances of the weinstiens releasing the full uncut version on dvd? The bone breaking stuff might have been due to rating reasons.(or you're theater had shitty sound.)
I sure hope that they do. There may be a small possibility that the Weinsteins new label "Dragon Dynasty" may release this movie on DVD uncut since it seems that SPL has been released uncut (based on early reviews).

It will go a little in correcting their past mistakes.
Old 09-06-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they had tony jaa and his translator on fox and friends this morning. pretty interesting.
Old 09-07-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
If you can get yourself to a copy of “Tom Yum Goong,” that’s clearly the better version of the film.
Anyone know where/if this is available legitimately on DVD? I found one but I'm wary of it being a boot.
Old 09-07-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Well, I’ve seen TOM YUM GOONG, and I loved it to pieces.

Tonight, I saw THE PROTECTOR.

The changes (as far as I could tell):

Spoiler:

- Here’s a huge change: all references to Madam Rose’s transsexuality have been excised.

I've watched the DVD twice and this one went by me both times.
Spoiler:
I'm assuming it's the dinner conversation where she kills all the heirs, but I don't recall any other "references" - unless it's all veiled/innuendo.
Old 09-07-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ytrez
Anyone know where/if this is available legitimately on DVD? I found one but I'm wary of it being a boot.
Here is the link of the thread in the International DVD Forum. Based on the existing thread, a Korean R3 release is the one to go since it has English subtitles.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....=TOM+YUM+GOONG
Old 09-07-06, 10:40 AM

This movie is AWFUL. Ong Bak was bad enough, but this makes Ong Bak look like Kafka or The Godfather. Tony Jaa is useless as an actor, but because of his stunts and fighting I can look passed it. Unfortunatly whoever writes his scripts doesn't seem to be aware of his shortcomings as an actor. The action wasn't as good either. I got the DVD and already sold it on Ebay. The worst part is I didn't expect much because of Ong Bak and I was still let down.

Last edited by splattii2; 09-07-06 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-07-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only saw the original TOM YUM GOONG and it was pretty entertaining. I find the Weinstein cuts funny to be funny. I'm curious to see the cut version - maybe it's better than the original?

So basically, when people only watch THE PROTECTOR movie, and won't see the original, it is possible that a lot of people will think that Madam Rose is one hot middle aged lady! HAHA...I hope they do think that and then see the original...
Old 09-07-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by splattii2
This movie is AWFUL. Ong Bak was bad enough, but this makes Ong Bak look like Kafka or The Godfather. Tony Jaa is useless as an actor, but because of his stunts and fighting I can look passed it. Unfortunatly whoever writes his scripts doesn't seem to be aware of his shortcomings as an actor. The action wasn't as good either. I got the DVD and already sold it on Ebay. The worst part is I didn't expect much because of Ong Bak and I was still let down.
If you want good action, acting, and story I suggest you rent Lionheart.
Old 09-07-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No - we had perfect sound. They save the major bone-breaking stuff for the finale.

And the film is half subs, half dubbed.
wtf? Like a "high tension" sub/dub? I remeber reading somewhere like that the movie was in about 30% english to begin with. also, i read on the imdb boards that the director did approve the cuts and that this is also the "french version" of the flick as well.
Old 09-07-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
wtf? Like a "high tension" sub/dub? I remeber reading somewhere like that the movie was in about 30% english to begin with. also, i read on the imdb boards that the director did approve the cuts and that this is also the "french version" of the flick as well.
Actually, it's a few scenes where they show newscasters but their English sucks. They had really thick Thai accents and were hard to understand. I wonder why they didn't just hire Australian actors for those parts since their in Australia. There was a couple of other English scenes w/ the cops and Johnny the gang leader.

The most irritating one was

Spoiler:
the cameo from the leading girl from Ong Bak. Her English is horrible; especially with her grating voice. I couldn't understand wtf she said until I scanned back.
Old 09-08-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kaiju Shakedown has a nasty review explaining the differences between Tom Yum Goong vs The Protector.
Unlike what Brian did in his post, they don't indicate all of the specific changes that have taken place but seems to highlight some of the major ones. If you haven't seen either of the films, beware of spoilers in the article.

http://www.kaijushakedown.com/2006/0...or_v.html#more
Old 09-09-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I thought the martial arts were incredible. Jaa kicked ass in Ong Bak and again here... this guy can move like no other...he is totally incredible and watching him on screen, he brings a kinetic energy that is excellent. However, the editing and storyline in this movie were BRUTAL, not to mention the dubbing...

Again, it's a cultural thing...I couldn't get into the story of Ong Bak because I kept thinking "big fucking deal, buy/make a new statue". Here again, the elephant storyline didn't work for me much...not only that of course, but all the subplots etc. don't work and it's never really clear exactly what's going on or why, shit just happens. I was entertained, but I'm not in any hurry to revisit this one.

MATT
Old 09-10-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just saw this today finally. thought it was decent. lots of crazy action and the scene where you jaa break the bones in 50 guys bodies was wild. did notice the dubbing wasn't that great, but oh well. still worth a viewing.
Old 09-10-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good film but damned if that guy doesn't love elephants!
Old 09-11-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See this is something I just have to get used to...I enjoyed the movie, but disappointed in the cuts. I dont buy region free anymore so I have to just deal with it from now on. Hopefully they will release this uncut here so I can at least rent it to see what I missed. And I pretty much assumed something was off with Rose anyways so there ya go.
Old 09-16-06, 10:04 PM

I just watched the movie in the theater. The difference between the Thai version and this one is pretty incredible, huge sections and plot points missing, as well as editing individual scenes (including action scenes) so they're more difficult to appreciate/follow. It's not really a good movie in either case -- worse than Ong Bak I think -- but it has one of the most incredible fight scenes ever.

It takes place on a stairway... I'm still trying to figure out how they did it/how many takes it took.
Old 09-17-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cornyt
-- but it has one of the most incredible fight scenes ever.

It takes place on a stairway... I'm still trying to figure out how they did it/how many takes it took.

Go watch "Rope" and see the entire film like that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/
Old 09-17-06, 07:12 PM

Strangely enough, I thought "Rope" would've been better if Jimmy Stewart kicked more ass... (not one of my favorite Hitchcocks, but good movie nonetheless)

Still, it was more the choreography of the fight, how long the shot was, the movement of the camera (was it done with a steadicam?), and the athleticism of all involved. What if some stuntman tripped or Tony Jaa messed up the dialogue at the end ("Johnny! Where's my elephant?)? As far as I could tell, there were no tricks (like in Panic Room) or, like in Rope, moments where a camera focuses on something black that allowed for a seamless cut. I thought Tony Jaa actually looked pretty tired by the end of it.

Old Boy's hallway scene took, I think, 17 takes. I'd love to know more about the Tum Yum Goong scene.
Old 09-18-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He does say "Where are my elephants?" right after he enters the dining room but there are inserts of people eating before Johnny enters.
Old 09-19-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDEmpire has this listed for preorder already for 1/2.
Old 09-20-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw this, and I'm kinda split .. I loved the action, but thought the story was weak. Perhaps it was the cuts, but things just seemed to happen for no reason.

I did like him bumping into Jackie Chan .. was that in the original version?

I think he could have a solid career in US films (ala Van Damme and Segal) until the next phenom comes along.

Last edited by A-aron; 09-20-06 at 05:24 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.