Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) - my thoughts

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-28-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) - 4.25/5

Review based on R1 Widescreen SE release.

I really enjoyed this I have read the book of course - or had it read to me I beleive, many times when I was young, but I also grew up with this film version. It's not very close to the book and yet - I really don't know why Dahl didnt like it - even though he worked on the film (he wrote the screenplay). Maybe the accuracy of book to film plus its well known that Dahl's script was not adhered to and re-written. Maybe thats why he hated it
The only time Gene Wilder says one of Dahl's songs from the book is during the disturbing boat scene ("There's no earthly way of knowing/Which direction we are going/Is it raining/Is it snowing...")
To be fair there were some big changes in the 2005 version too, which I liked also - like the
Spoiler:
subplot of Wonka and his estranged dentist father, plus rewriting the ending of the book
, and for example the ending of the original is much more heartwarming (and close to how the book originally ended IIRC) than the remake.
Gene Wilder is superb as the strange/sinister but overall nice candy maker Wonka, wierd yet charming, and I love the comic performance of Roy Kinnear (Mr. Salt). When you see how posh Veruca is, its funny her father is a rather bluff, straight talking Northerner, he does make some very funny comments
The production design is great too, the picturesque German town and the beautifully designed factory. And I love the Oompa Loompas too, with the little songs they make up
As for songs, who can forget Veruca's show-like "I Want The World (I Want It Now)" and "I've Got a Golden Ticket" - great

Last edited by grim_tales; 08-28-06 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-28-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My thoughts - This should be in movie talk
Old 08-28-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry
How do I move it?
Old 08-28-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the symbolism of the penis-shaped smokestack on the train spurting white goo?
Old 08-28-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do love Wilder's end rant, and the final outburst.

"YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY, SIR!"

Old 08-28-06, 05:20 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by grim_tales

I do love Wilder's end rant, and the final outburst.

"YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY, SIR!"

check out this rather inspired rendition of that scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDRT27mIcAw
Old 08-28-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I am unlikely to ever read it...how did the book end? And did it have anything in there about Wonka's estranged father?
Old 08-28-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
What's the symbolism of the penis-shaped smokestack on the train spurting white goo?
Michael Jackson

Old 08-28-06, 09:08 PM

Wow. Welcome to 1971.

these threads are always funny to me. Nothing wrong with them of course, but I think others see the same humor in it that I do. Carry on
Old 08-29-06, 12:30 AM
Banned

Dahl didn't really write the screenplay. He's credited as the writer but some other guy actually wrote it and is interviewed in the featurette.
Old 08-29-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Dahl wrote the initial screenplay - or something, but the other guy didnt like the script and drastically rewrote it, so thats why Dahl doesn't like it.

I thought the book ended with Charlie, Wonka and his family in the Wonkavator flying. (Almost the same as the film).
At the start of "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" it says "The last time we saw Charlie he was riding high above his home town..."

Wonka's estranged father wasn't in the book either IIRC, that was written for Burton's movie.

I prefer Wilder to Depp as Wonka. Sure Depp was very good and I did like the remake, but Wilder was altogether a friendlier Wonka underneath, even though he was strange
Old 08-29-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
check out this rather inspired rendition of that scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDRT27mIcAw
That scene is actually one my favourites in the movie IMO

"WRONG, SIR - WRONG!"

Like the rendition.
Old 08-29-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must have seen this movie about 500 times and I will continue to watch it over and over eventhough I may know every line by heart by now.
Old 08-30-06, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gene Wilder to me is the perfect Willy Wonka. I mean, I know he's not identical to the book, but I think his film version is just perfect. The tunnel song scene is one of my favorite scenes on film, period (it scared the crap out of me when I was a kid).

For the remake I would have chosen Bill Murray. I think he could pull off that same Wilder character.
Old 08-30-06, 10:52 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
For the remake I would have chosen Bill Murray. I think he could pull off that same Wilder character.
but then who would jonny depp play? Burton never works without him anymore
Old 08-30-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This film has a fond spot in my heart. When i was at primary school we used to have all the Roald Dahl books read to us (Danny Champion of the World, Fantastic Mr Fox, BFG, James and the Giant Peach). Growing up in England they always used to put it on at Christmas time and me and my sisters watched it every time. I liked the Tim Burton remake...but it still doesn't come close to matching the original. Gene Wilder was never better. He was perfect. I always loved the entry he made in the film where the crowd goes silent as he slowly limps towards the gates, gets his cane stuck and then does the forward roll.....it summed it all up for me there. Expect the unexpected. The whole cast was amazing and each played thir role perfectly. The kids in the reamke were nasty...but not as nasty as in the original. Overall brilliant film. I just wish they made the Great Glass Elevator with the original cast.

Last edited by james2025a; 08-30-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Snozzberries.
Old 08-30-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thinking about it I thought all the kids in the remake were exaggerated versions of the originals' - OK the original kids were bad but seemed more believable and normal IMO. Violet is a bratty loudmouth in the 1971 film but her dad her a nerve wanting to butt in and talk about cars during HER interview!
Its also made clear (in Veruca's case) that the reason she is bad is due to poor parenting. Agustus was greedy but seemed well dressed/mannered otherwise. Again, his parents aren't in the best of shape. Mr Gloop eats the microphone!
In the 2005 film (and book) Charlie is a perfect kid who never did anything wrong, I didn't find the 2005 Charlie realistic. He even considers accepting Slugworth's bribe for heaven's sake!
Had he done that, he would have failed the test Mr. Wonka set for him. In the Gene Wilder version he is not perfect and makes mistakes (stealing the fizzy lifting drinks, not in the book). But he shows he has a good, loving heart by giving the Gobstopper back.

I loved Danny, Champion of the World (1989 version with Jeremy Irons and his real son I beleive) and the BFG - great
Old 08-30-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I didn't find the 2005 Charlie realistic. He even considers accepting Slugworth's bribe for heaven's sake!
Slugworth doesn't try to bribe Charlie in the 2005 film. That subplot only exists in the 1971 film.
Old 08-30-06, 12:16 PM

In the 2005 film (and book) Charlie is a perfect kid who never did anything wrong

as in the book.
Old 08-30-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know, that's why I said (and book) meaning Dahl novel, in brackets

In the 2005 version I thought I watched a scene where he talks about being offered $10,000 or something? Doesn't he say "We need the money more than we need the chocolate" and Grandpa Joe talks him out of it.
Old 08-30-06, 12:29 PM

but even in the 2005 version, Charlie finds what looks to be 10 dollars - in his excitment in finding the ticket, he doesn't even take the change for the bought candy - he knows his family is poor yet in this instance Charlie is oblivious and conceited.
Old 08-30-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember that part - I prefer the 1971 version of that scene - where he just finds whats probably a quarter or something, instead of $10.
Old 08-30-06, 12:52 PM

At a post screening Q&A of "Big Fish", producer Richard D. Zanuck mentioned that the reason why 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' took so long in finding the "right" director was that the Dahl estate was so dismayed that the 1971 film took liberties with the book.
Old 08-30-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
In the 2005 version I thought I watched a scene where he talks about being offered $10,000 or something? Doesn't he say "We need the money more than we need the chocolate" and Grandpa Joe talks him out of it.
He's offered a lot of money, but it's for the ticket, and not by Slugworth. He's offered a lot of money in the 1971 film for just the ticket as well, it just gets overshadowed by the Slugworth offer which immediately follows it.

Selling the ticket, or even thinking of it, is an example of extreme selflessness, since Charlie was willing to give up his dream in order to help his family. Also, it's not Grandpa Joe who talks him out of it, but the other grandpa.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.