DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What are some of the great film noirs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/475707-what-some-great-film-noirs.html)

lukewarmwater 08-27-06 04:10 AM

What are some of the great film noirs?

I haven't seen too many, but third man and le samourai top my list. What are some other ones worth checking out? Any as good as the two i mentioned?

and does casablanca count as a noir?

Supermallet 08-27-06 04:35 AM

The Maltese Falcon
Naked City
Sunset Boulevard
Double Indemnity
Chinatown
Gilda
The Lady From Shanghai
The Big Sleep

Those might be good for a start.

Mr. Salty 08-27-06 04:39 AM

You should start with "Double Indemnity," which was just released to DVD in a very nice two-disc Universal Legacy Edition.

You should definitely check out "Sunset Boulevard," which, like "Double Indemnity," was directed by Billy Wilder. And Otto Preminger's "Laura" is not to be missed.

"The Third Man" is one of my favorites, too. I don't think "Casablanca" can be considered film noir.

Inverse 08-27-06 10:13 AM

Casablanca doesn't count, because it's not actually dark--it's a hopeful movie.

In addition the the films mentioned above there's also:

Out of the Past
D.O.A. (1950)
Criss Cross (1949)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
Kiss Me Deadly
The Asphalt Jungle

chente 08-27-06 11:58 AM

The Killing
Detour
The Set-Up
Criss Cross
Out of the Past
Laura

Do a search for the various Noir threads in movie talk. There has been a lot of discussion that you will find useful. Have fun.

Sooperior 08-27-06 01:18 PM

There's also: Mildred Pierce, The Naked Kiss & Shock Corridor by Samuel Fuller, Night and the City & Thieves' Highway by Jules Dassin, Strangers on a Train. And if you liked Le Samourai, check out Le Circle Rouge, another great Melville film.

Supermallet 08-27-06 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
And Otto Preminger's "Laura" is not to be missed.

Complete agreement. I simply could not remember the title when I was writing my list.

And I highly suggest staying away from Mildred Pierce. It's much more of a melodrama than a noir, and not a good one.

Mr. Salty 08-27-06 05:03 PM

And for "future noir," let's not forget "Blade Runner."

Apone 08-27-06 05:24 PM

And for "contemporary noir," let's not forget "Sin City."

davidh777 08-28-06 02:18 AM

And L.A. Confidential

Apone 08-28-06 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
And L.A. Confidential

Good call. :up:

lawyer goodwill 08-28-06 05:51 PM

I love The Maltese Falcon. Anytime I catch it on TCM, I usually watch 'til the end. Great replayability. Reckon I should pick up that new-fangled DVD coming out soon.

printerati 08-28-06 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Apone
And for "contemporary noir," let's not forget "Sin City."

And Miller's Crossing, and Brick...

I highly recommend D.O.A. and Laura. Kubrick's The Killing does nothing for me, and the narration (including the narrator himself) just grates on me. I am well aware that this is not a popular opinion.

Then again, the zither score in The Third Man grates on a number of people, but I love it.

MASAMUNE2 08-28-06 08:05 PM

Brick

Kudama 08-28-06 09:57 PM

This Gun for Hire always made me happy.

J-Dubya 08-28-06 10:27 PM

Elevator to the Gallows anyone? I just watched this over the weekend.

Ron G 08-28-06 10:38 PM

What about Dark City as contemporary noir?

And no one's mentioned Touch of Evil, generally considered the last film in the classic noir genre.

GuessWho 08-28-06 11:21 PM

Double Indemnity is the prototype

for contemporary noir, what about Out of Sight?

lawyer goodwill 08-28-06 11:44 PM

Good call on Touch of Evil ... That is a real gem, too. The movie has an eerie, dusk and darkness feel to it throughout the running time.

Supermallet 08-28-06 11:57 PM

Can't believe I missed putting in Touch of Evil. I was just recommending it to someone the other day, too.

Brent L 08-29-06 12:08 AM

When I took the dive into film noir, the first one I checked out was The Big Sleep, and it remains one of my favorites out of all of them. I do not recommend starting with that one though.

Martha Vickers, mmmmmmm:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6505/hairph3.gif

"She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up."

Aetherus 08-29-06 12:31 AM

Do Memento and Insomnia (both Christopher Nolan flicks) count as Contemporary Noir?

NavinJohnson 08-29-06 12:39 AM

Gun Crazy (1949)
Nightmare Alley (1947)

I seem to be prejudiced towards noir with carny folk.

lawyer goodwill 08-29-06 09:23 PM

I have to second "The Set-up" (mentioned above). Watched it on TCM a little while back; very well done. I don't think Robert Ryan made a bad film (or gave a poor performance in any movie I have seen).

gryffinmaster 08-29-06 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
"The Third Man" is one of my favorites, too.

Seconded. :up:

Originally Posted by davidh777
And L.A. Confidential

Nice call. Wouldn't have really considered that to be a "noir", but now that I think on it, it's a great one.

I'll also agree with the Maltese Falcon (#1 fave Bogie film), Chinatown, and Double Idemnity. Something about Casablanca just doesn't scream dark and broody to me - I'd have to lean against it being a noir.

It's a stretch, but if we're trying to break some barriers with genre ... how about Gattaca?