Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Thin Red Line vs Saving Private Ryan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which do you like more
The Thin Red Line
37.76%
Saving Private Ryan
62.24%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

The Thin Red Line vs Saving Private Ryan

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Thin Red Line vs Saving Private Ryan

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Definitely not. I can easily rewatch SPR. It's a struggle to get through TRL, although I do love the middle battle sequence, with some terrific exchanges between Koteas and Nolte. But Caviezel's poetic mumbo-jumbo voiceover is just as cringe inducing as it was 12+ years ago.
Cringe inducing is a good term I'd use to describe Saving Private Ryan. I always thought there were too many corny, audience-manipulating scenes in the film. And that was prior to my introduction to indie/foreign films which revolutionized my film tastes which has since rendered Saving Private Ryan utterly impossible to sit through.

To each his own.
Old 11-22-10, 03:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Popcorn, I'm with you. SPR is easily one of the worst war films I've ever seen. Thin Red Line is not perfect, but it's about 1,000 times better than SPR.
Old 11-22-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Cringe inducing is a good term I'd use to describe Saving Private Ryan. I always thought there were too many corny, audience-manipulating scenes in the film. And that was prior to my introduction to indie/foreign films which revolutionized my film tastes which has since rendered Saving Private Ryan utterly impossible to sit through.

To each his own.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Popcorn, I'm with you. SPR is easily one of the worst war films I've ever seen. Thin Red Line is not perfect, but it's about 1,000 times better than SPR.

Gentlemen, I salute you.
Old 11-22-10, 04:49 PM
Banned by request

Although both movies lend credence to my theory that POW films are better than outright war films.
Old 11-22-10, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the opinions in this thread 'SPR is easily one of the worst war films I've ever seen'. Give me a break. Sounds like 'well too many like SPR and it made too much money and get too much acclaim so I am going to say something outrageous'.
Old 11-22-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The Thin Red Line is a tedious masterpiece, but Saving Private Ryan is much more rewatchable.
Old 11-22-10, 10:18 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by bootsy
I love the opinions in this thread 'SPR is easily one of the worst war films I've ever seen'. Give me a break. Sounds like 'well too many like SPR and it made too much money and get too much acclaim so I am going to say something outrageous'.
Or perhaps I've seen a lot of war films and SPR is one of the worst. Other than the opening, what's good about it? If Spielberg had done just the opening sequence as a short film, it would have been stunning. But then he had to ruin it with trite dialogue, and paper-thin characters.
Old 11-23-10, 09:14 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Cringe inducing is a good term I'd use to describe Saving Private Ryan. I always thought there were too many corny, audience-manipulating scenes in the film.
That's really surprising in a film directed by Steven Spielberg.
Old 11-23-10, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....I think the D-Day sequence is amazing. BUT Suprmallet might have a point about if it was a short film. How long was the actual D-Day on the beaches of Normandy? You know...reaching Normandy, off the vehicles, etc, etc etc then winning over the beach? How long was that? Enough for a full length film, no?
Old 11-23-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Thin Red Line

I wonder if any of those people that voted SPR have changed their minds.
I apparently didn't vote in the original poll, but if I had I would have voted for SPR at the time, and I would have changed my mind.

Thin Red Line has definitely gotten better with age, and SPR has definitely gotten worse. This probably has more to do with my age/tastes than the movies themselves.
Old 11-23-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The Thin Red Line

I wonder if any of those people that voted SPR have changed their minds.
Didn't vote originally but still voted for SPR now...
Old 11-23-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Or perhaps I've seen a lot of war films and SPR is one of the worst. Other than the opening, what's good about it? If Spielberg had done just the opening sequence as a short film, it would have been stunning. But then he had to ruin it with trite dialogue, and paper-thin characters.
Perhaps you should enlighten us inferior mortals with the "great war" films you have seen that are so much better. I am not looking to shit on the ones you think are far better just curious as to ones that you think are so much better. I don't think SPR is the greatest either but naming it one of the worst war movies you have ever seen... well that is a pretty big leap.
Old 11-23-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Or perhaps I've seen a lot of war films and SPR is one of the worst.
It's consistently on every best-of list for war movies. I'm going to have to dismiss your opinion out of hand.
Old 11-23-10, 01:25 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Perhaps you should enlighten us inferior mortals with the "great war" films you have seen that are so much better. I am not looking to shit on the ones you think are far better just curious as to ones that you think are so much better. I don't think SPR is the greatest either but naming it one of the worst war movies you have ever seen... well that is a pretty big leap.
War movies that are better than Saving Private Ryan: Apocalypse Now, The Dirty Dozen, Where Eagles Dare, All Quiet On The Western Front, The Thin Red Line, The Hurt Locker, Patton, The Longest Day, From Here To Eternity, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Stalag 17, The Deer Hunter, The Grand Illusion, Inglourious Basterds, the list goes on.

Originally Posted by covenant
It's consistently on every best-of list for war movies. I'm going to have to dismiss your opinion out of hand.
Right, because disagreeing with the majority means I must be wrong all the time. I'm sure you have some opinions that don't agree with the majority as well.

But tell me this, without the opening scene, would Saving Private Ryan be nearly as lauded as it was? All I remember people talking about when the movie came out was the opening. All they talk about today is the opening. Let's face it, the movie peaks early and leaves you wondering why you're still watching.
Old 11-23-10, 01:33 PM
Banned

"trite dialogue" like what? I just get this I am going to critcize SPR due to the fact that it had a lot of commercial success and Thin Red Line didn't vibe. I loved both movies and own both but to say it has trite dialogue and paper thin characters is a really shallow statement.
Old 11-23-10, 01:36 PM
Banned

War movies that are better than Saving Private Ryan: Apocalypse Now, The Dirty Dozen, Where Eagles Dare, All Quiet On The Western Front, The Thin Red Line, The Hurt Locker, Patton, The Longest Day, From Here To Eternity, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Stalag 17, The Deer Hunter, The Grand Illusion, Inglourious Basterds, the list goes on.

Right, because disagreeing with the majority means I must be wrong all the time. I'm sure you have some opinions that don't agree with the majority as well.

But tell me this, without the opening scene, would Saving Private Ryan be nearly as lauded as it was? All I remember people talking about when the movie came out was the opening. All they talk about today is the opening. Let's face it, the movie peaks early and leaves you wondering why you're still watching.
Yes let's go to the 'without this scene' or 'take this scene out of the movie' card to validate my point. YOU CAN'T TAKE OUT THAT SCENE. So let's not go with the 'without this scene' argument please.

Spoiler:
There were plenty of great scenes in SPR:
the sniper scene to rescue the little girl,
the talk between Miller and Ryan before the final battle esp Ryan telling the story of his three brothers and the girl,
the entire final battle,
Miller breaking down and crying,
comforting Wade after being shot.

Last edited by bootsy; 11-23-10 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 01:38 PM
Banned by request

I don't care how much money a movie makes. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was my favorite movie so far this year, and I haven't made a single negative comment about any other movie for making more money (which almost every movie this year has done).

And it's not shallow to say SPR had trite dialogue and paper thin characters; it just means I watched the movie.
Old 11-23-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

You made my day. I have renewed respect for you, Suprmallet. (The only thing better would have been the addition of KELLY'S HEROES to that list.)
Old 11-23-10, 02:29 PM
Banned by request

I have yet to see Kelly's Heroes, but it's on the list!
Old 11-23-10, 03:32 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never even seen Thin Red Line!
Old 11-23-10, 04:35 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I have yet to see Kelly's Heroes, but it's on the list!
You've never seen Kelly's Heroes?
Old 11-23-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

although I wouldn't go so far as to call ALL the characters "paper thin", the vast majority were.

All the characters with the exception of Capt. Miller, Cpl. Upham and to a degree Medic Wade were, to a degree, caricatures of soldiers you might expect to see in a war film. Even the ones I mentioned were not drawn out enough.

Dialogue wise- overall I feel it to be fine, not GOOD but fine. It certainly had moments of stupidity but basically it was fair within the context of it's story. Expectable and nothing to write home about, but basically on par with other war films in it's league.

Then again, what do I know. I keep saying 'The Hurt Locker' wasn't all that great yet people keep trying to tell me it was, all the while choosing to overlook it's obvious cliches and goofiness.

'Stalag 17', now there's a film that doesn't get enough respect!
Old 11-23-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
I've never even seen Thin Red Line!
So, see it.
Old 11-24-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know about "all the time". Do you have a history of being a contrarian? I haven't noticed.

But one of the worst war movies ever? Come on.

Maybe it's a generational/political thing. Someone mentioned earlier: "flag waving nutjobs" and "having a defense system set up against..patriotism". Well, I can see how someone who feels like that would espouse TTRL above SPR.

My vote for worst war movie ever? Pearl Harbor, of course! Honorable Mention goes to Windtalkers....
Old 11-24-10, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Neeb
Compare TRL's "War does not ennoble men. It turns them into dogs." to SPR's "Earn this!"

TRL comes from source material written by someone who went to war. SPR was written by someone who grew up watching war movies.

Yes, The Thin Red Line book was written by a war veteran. You should read his essay in the Criterion Collection Blu Ray of The Thin Red Line, he takes apart war movies and shows how unrealistic most of them are. I wonder what he woulda said about spr? I voted for TRL.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.