Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount cuts ties with Tom Cruise

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-22-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprise, surprise....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060822/...ia_cruise_dc_1
Old 08-22-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Can you say ... reality check?
Old 08-22-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this was only a matter of time. i wonder how the church of scientology feels? haha.
Old 08-22-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does this mean he's fair game for new South Park episodes and reruns again?
Old 08-22-06, 08:22 PM

Good. I despise the arrogant prick.
Old 08-22-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does this mean no more Mission: Impossible?
Old 08-22-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
"His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

But MI3 doing $400 million IS acceptable
Old 08-22-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a huge Cruise fan and thought MI3 was one of the better Summer blockbusters that actually delivered on the thrills. Those who passed because of his personal beliefs made a stupid decision.
Old 08-22-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm a huge Cruise fan and thought MI3 was one of the better Summer blockbusters that actually delivered on the thrills. Those who passed because of his personal beliefs made a stupid decision.
Ehh, I kinda wished I had passed on behalf of his personal beliefs.
Old 08-22-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Agreed. It's a pretty good flick. I just wish that he hadn't been branded a fool - and added conduct to the mix like gasoline to a bonfire.
Old 08-22-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rushed to see MI because it was new, when MI 2 came out I rented it on DVD, I could really care less about MI 3 and it has nothing to do with how crazy he is.
Old 08-22-06, 09:14 PM

Count me in as one of those people who made a "stupid decision". I'll probably catch it on DVD eventually, but his recent behavior and arrogance really turned me off to seeing it in the theater.

I am surprised by this move by Paramount though. Considering the money this guy brings in, this has got to be somewhat of a blow to Cruise's ego, if not his bank account.
Old 08-22-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we all know where this is going

Old 08-22-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I rushed to see MI because it was new, when MI 2 came out I rented it on DVD, I could really care less about MI 3 and it has nothing to do with how crazy he is.

Same here. I'm not excited about MI 3 in the least. Nothing to do with Cruise, just a complete lack of interest.
Old 08-22-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal," Redstone was quoted as saying in the Wall Street Journal. "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."
This is such garbage from Paramount. I am not that big of a Cruise fan but give me a break Paramount, he is a great actor capable of carrying any film or movie for you.
Old 08-22-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
This is such garbage from Paramount. I am not that big of a Cruise fan but give me a break Paramount, he is a great actor capable of carrying any film or movie for you.
At the 'great actor' part.

(He's not a great actor)
Old 08-22-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Regardless of hot nutty he may be in reality. I've never had a problem with him as an actor.

So I wouldn't avoid a film he's staring in if it looked good,just because he may be nuts in reality.
Old 08-22-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Big mistake by Paramount. He may be eccentric in real life but he's certainly not a liability to the company, he brings in BIG money.

Besides, the last thing I heard about Cruise in real life was him being a good samaritan at an automobile accident. What part of that is unacceptable to Paramount?
Old 08-22-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

fuckin stupid.

cruise hasn't done anything in public that has made me think any less of him.

oh no he jumped on oprahs couch, shit i'd jump on oprahs couch if i had a chance.
Old 08-23-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a surprise, he seemed to bring in the cash. I wonder which studio will move in now that Paramount is out?
Old 08-23-06, 12:12 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

They must know something!!!
Old 08-23-06, 12:14 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

"South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have set two live-action films at Paramount.

Parker and Stone, who have re-christened their Par-based shingle Important Pictures, will first make the Jeff Roda-scripted high school comedy "My All-American." They plan to follow with "Giant Monsters Attack Japan!," a film scripted by J.F. Lawton ("Under Siege") that will combine live-action with the "rubber suit" techniques made popular in Asian imports like "Godzilla."

Parker will direct each film and Stone produce; both will work on the scripts with the writers. Sean Daniel and Nickelodeon will also be producers on "Giant Monsters."

Parker and Stone are aiming for a 2007 production start, timed to a hiatus from "South Park," which this week launched its 10th season.

"My All-American" will sport a young cast, marking the first time Parker and Stone have worked with real actors since the pre-"South Park" features "Cannibal: The Musical!" and "Orgazmo."

"Neither of these movies feel like vehicles for big stars, but this will be our opportunity to find out if there are any actors left who want to work with us," Stone said.

The duo is determined to beef up its Important shingle, with topper Jennifer Howell and longtime series producer Anne Garefino spearheading the search for project acquisitions.

"We learned from the last two films that these can't all be self-generated," Stone said. "Trey and I are script whores, so we'll be very involved in shaping these projects. We've averaged a movie every five years. We'd like to make more and produce films that give other directors a chance."
Old 08-23-06, 12:26 AM
Cool New Member

This has to be the work of the evil lord Xenu. He may have won this battle, but he hasn't won the war! Tom Cruise shall triumph over Xenu and save us all.
Old 08-23-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Really? Why didn't he "carry" MI:2 or MI:3 to better summer numbers for them? Both of those were pretty much a domestic disappointment at the box office.
Old 08-23-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Big mistake by Paramount. He may be eccentric in real life but he's certainly not a liability to the company, he brings in BIG money.

Besides, the last thing I heard about Cruise in real life was him being a good samaritan at an automobile accident. What part of that is unacceptable to Paramount?
There are rumors that those stories have been plants. He's had several "good samaritan" things happen in the past few years. Pretty coincidental, no?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.