DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Accepted - quick review (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/475003-accepted-quick-review.html)

Patman 08-19-06 07:28 PM

Accepted - quick review

I had a good time with this movie. It harkened back to the good times I had with the late 70's, early 80's teen/college flicks like Revenge of the Nerds, One Crazy Summer, Better Off Dead. The comedic timing from the editing and direction was spot-on, with the cast delivering some good laughs from the material. Justin Long pretty much carried the film, but he had a good supporting cast of characters too.

Sure, you have to roll with the premise of Bartleby Gaines creating a fake college to fool his parents after not getting into any of the colleges he applied for, compound his situation with other high school graduates facing the same situation, and you get a wild and zany "college" for the wholly unaccepted who find a home for their own brand of uniqueness and interests. Obviously the concept is about the "out of the box" educational process of higher learning going toe-to-toe with the more conventional, traditional college experience. The film ends on one of the better endings in recent memory for me. Classic!

The target demographic (teens to early 30's) should get plenty of laughs from this movie.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

The Bus 08-20-06 07:50 AM

Your review is good and seems to echo what the DVD Talk review says as well. I'm looking forward to seeing this. I didn't know this had opened this weekend either.

MovieExchange 08-21-06 09:48 AM

The film's promotion company sent me some passes to hand out. After getting a string of crap ones (When a Stranger Calls, RV and Little Man), I finally got one I wanted to see.

I agree with several of the reviews that I have read that said it could have been better if they went for the R rating. That being said, I still found it enjoyable. Lewis Black, whose strength lies in delivery rather than writing material, is great in this film.

Overall, I'd say Accepted is worth the price of a matinee show. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much if I had spent $10+ to see it, and I don't think it has much in the way of replay value.

dpz301 08-21-06 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
The film's promotion company sent me some passes to hand out. After getting a string of crap ones (When a Stranger Calls, RV and Little Man), I finally got one I wanted to see.

I agree with several of the reviews that I have read that said it could have been better if they went for the R rating. That being said, I still found it enjoyable. Lewis Black, whose strength lies in delivery rather than writing material, is great in this film.

Overall, I'd say Accepted is worth the price of a matinee show. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much if I had spent $10+ to see it, and I don't think it has much in the way of replay value.

i agree with movieexchange. it was enjoyable for the matinee price.

SPiRAL 08-21-06 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by dpz301
i agree with movieexchange. it was enjoyable for the matinee price.

Same here. We went to a matinee and the crowd was enjoying it. And what's up with Jonah's weiner, they never mentioned it.

I had a little laugh, because there was a character named ' Rory ' and she didn't get into Yale. Was that supposed to be an inside joke ?

Matthew Chmiel 08-22-06 01:30 PM

I saw this yesterday. It had it's moments, but it could've been a lot better. I won't say that it would've been a better film if it was R, but Camp Nowhere took pretty much the premise and made a better film with the PG rating. Camp Nowhere simply just had a lot more fun and creativity.

I think one of the film's major weaknesses is that a lot of the characters are simply unlikeable.

Patman 08-22-06 03:33 PM

Why did Blake Lively feel the need to get fake boobies, I thought she was pretty fine as-is in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants".