Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office Numbersssss Discussion 8/18 - 8/20

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office Numbersssss Discussion 8/18 - 8/20

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Guys, I'm pretty sure Perkinsun Dzees was being sarcastic (at least I hope so). That the public is easily amused is why I thought SOAP would do better.
Old 08-20-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
20 million for advertising? How the hell do you even come up with that number? General rule of thumb is cut half (or 1/3rd, can't remember) of it's budget and that tells you how much is typically spent on marketing.

It has made a little less than half its budget back on opening weekend. Marketing was helped out greatly by the blogosphere and the internet, not to mention sam jackson being so gung-ho with pushing it as snakes on a motherfucking plane.

If it was a bigger budget or if it was a tent pole piece then it may be considered pulling in poor numbers. But considering the other models of these snake movies pulled in 16 million for Anaconda and 12 Million for Anacondas. This is the structure of what this film would have been like. Even check out the projection thread. Everyone seems to keep their guess in the mid teens to low twenty range for how much this could make.

R rating could be a major indicator.

Well if you want to call a movie that made 15 mill a success (over 4 days 13 mill+ for the 3 day weekend) go ahead, 20 mill on advertising WAS conservative. They probably spent more like 30. This thing was advertised on EVERY network known to mankind... you are kidding yourself if you think they spent less than that. But hey I get it, you were hoping it would do more, fine. Like I said it was a fun movie, they got me to go. You want to call this a success go ahead even New Line is already quoted as saying it is a disapointment and they thought it would do more... Defend your statements all you want in the end this movie is a huge disapointment based on all the hype.
Old 08-20-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well looks like my estimate for SoaP was about right...

If you cut it in half
Old 08-20-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d2cheer
Well if you want to call a movie that made 15 mill a success (over 4 days 13 mill+ for the 3 day weekend) go ahead, 20 mill on advertising WAS conservative. They probably spent more like 30. This thing was advertised on EVERY network known to mankind... you are kidding yourself if you think they spent less than that. But hey I get it, you were hoping it would do more, fine. Like I said it was a fun movie, they got me to go. You want to call this a success go ahead even New Line is already quoted as saying it is a disapointment and they thought it would do more... Defend your statements all you want in the end this movie is a huge disapointment based on all the hype.

Then find me a number on how much was marketing. If superman returns did 15 million, it would be a failure. But that's because it costed 200+. But this had a budget of 36 million. It'll make that by the end of its domestic run even with a 60% drop next week and a steady frontload drop from week to week. Even with "advertised on EVERY network" that does not mean the budget for marketing was anymore than any other typical film. The deal is that this had media hype created by the public themselves. There's a reason why they give credit to the way the internet went with this and made it their own because of the name. They provided a lot of the marketing and promotions for the film and all for free.

Now it's considered a failure based on the hype? Again, internet hype, which folks should have learned from Clerks 2 and Serenity, means very little and doesn't produce the huge numbers.

When you look at the numbers of similiar films to this, factor in that it was kept as a R rated film, and the idea of the premise itself and you'll see that it did as well as films in the past of this nature.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 08-20-06 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-20-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's Fox News so I am a bit wary, but it gives some idea on what the advertising cost:

The average big studio movie costs an average of $63.6 million to produce and another $34.4 million to market. "SoaP" ran New Line only $36 million to make and reportedly, 10 days before opening, it had spent only 7 percent of its $30 million marketing budget promoting the film.
Old 08-20-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Disappointing numbers for SoaP
Old 08-21-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
I was worried that if SOAP did really great numbers, studios might jump on the bandwagon and start making films based only on dumb titles. Now I can breath a sigh of relief that they will continue to make films based only on dumb scripts.
Old 08-21-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome.
Old 08-21-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
When you look at the numbers of similiar films to this, factor in that it was kept as a R rated film, and the idea of the premise itself and you'll see that it did as well as films in the past of this nature.
I can't believe that "we did as well as all those other snake movies" would be the bragging rights they were hoping for.
Old 08-21-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I was worried that if SOAP did really great numbers, studios might jump on the bandwagon and start making films based only on dumb titles. Now I can breath a sigh of relief that they will continue to make films based only on dumb scripts.
Snakes Down The Drain
Old 08-21-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by marty888
I can't believe that "we did as well as all those other snake movies" would be the bragging rights they were hoping for.

I'm sure they aren't. But you have to look at it on paper and see that the filmed performed much the same as a similiar snake film and even better than the most reccent snake horror film.

Added in that the marketing was very cheap and the budget was very low. Hell, ANACONDA had a budget of 46 million, got 16 million the first weekend and was considered a success. You just need to look at the type of film and look past the pillow talk of the internet.

Fuck bragging rights. That's just gravy. Atleast they got the right to consider that a success.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 08-21-06 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by onebyone
It's Fox News so I am a bit wary, but it gives some idea on what the advertising cost
New Line didn't spend too much on marketing due to all the internet buzz (which might've been it's downfall, similar to Universal's Serenity). From what I've heard, New Line spent around $8 million (if not less) on it's advertising budget for the film. The two theatrical teasers weren't attached to many films, a real theatrical trailer wasn't created, and there were only a few television spots that were created (compared to the usual 10-15 any other movie would have) and didn't start airing until a week prior to it's release.

Granted, IMO, the film would've done just slightly better if released earlier this summer when the buzz was at it's strongest. And if New Line just spent a tad bit more on marketing.

However, this sort of film is considered a money making machine regardless of how much it makes theatrically. The film will probably most likely break even in theaters and then the DVDs are just gravy.
Old 08-21-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaymole
Too late!

Spoiler:
And yes, I know, I've read the book too.
Old 08-21-06, 03:03 PM
Retired

Pirates over $400 million now.
Old 08-21-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It still needs about $2.7 Million to push past Spider-Man.
Old 08-21-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
It still needs about $2.7 Million to push past Spider-Man.
That will happen by the end of the coming weekend. It looks like it might finish out somewhere between $410-415 million by the end of its run.
Old 08-21-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SOAP played at 3,555 theaters. That's alot. When you add in the $13.8 million it grossed, that doesn't sound all that impressive. This movie still had plenty of attention for the past 5 or 6 months. More than most of the Summer films. I just think it's a reach to defend SOAP's opening numbers. It grossed only a little over $3 million more than Accepted, which got mentioned..what..a week before release? Did anyone even know that was opening? Plus, it played at around 500 fewer theaters.

HOWEVER....I do think this is one of those movies that will do better on dvd. People probably weren't curious enough to pay $10 to watch it in the theater, but I'm sure for $4, they'll take the plunge. You know New Line will come up with a really creative release.

There, I argued both sides.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 08-21-06 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Collectors' SOAP box set with a rubber snake in the box? How about a decent sized rubber snake shoved into such a small part of the box that it leaps out of the case when opened?
Old 08-21-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm envisioning a snake head. the mouth opens and you find a nice 2-disc package inside.
Old 08-22-06, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Well, the weekend numbers were a little off...Snakes still made the same, but Talledega Nights didn't make as much as reported. Meaning Snakes still won the weekend WITHOUT the Thursday night take.
Old 08-22-06, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Too late!

Spoiler:
And yes, I know, I've read the book too.
Spoiler:
I read the book as a kid as well!

The poster/synopsis made me remember it!

As for Pirates, HOLY mother of God. Its overtaken Jurrassic Park in Worldwide BO. Amazing.
Old 08-22-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
SOAP played at 3,555 theaters. That's alot. When you add in the $13.8 million it grossed, that doesn't sound all that impressive. This movie still had plenty of attention for the past 5 or 6 months. More than most of the Summer films.
The movie didn't have attention. The title did. Box Office Mojo put it very succinctly: People don't have to pay for the movie to chuckle at the title. Anyone that thinks Snake on a Plane got the widest media attention needs to read something besides internet blogs.

That said, it's per screen average was actually decent for the week it ran and it beat out almost all other widely released movies (Little Miss Sunshine came in higher). But compare it to previous weeks, and it's a disaster.

I think this movie would've done great as counter-programming on Cars. By the time August rolled around, I think most people were tired of the joke or forgot about the movie.
Old 08-22-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It's about to go over the $1BB mark worldwide as well, joining Titanic & ROTK.
Old 08-22-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
It's about to go over the $1BB mark worldwide as well, joining Titanic & ROTK.
Eh, not quite "About to" though it is getting closer, it still has a little less than $80m to go.
Old 08-22-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just saw a SoaP commercial calling it the #1 movie in america...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.