Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

smallville the movie vs superman returns sequel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

smallville the movie vs superman returns sequel

Old 08-18-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd rather see a Superman Returns sequel, but would LOVE a Smallville movie where:
a) Lana dies
b) Lex kills Clark
c) Most of the movie is about Lionel Luthor acting like a complete dick towards Lex.
Old 08-18-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That is my gripe with the film. You'd think an Oscar winner would knock your socks off. Sad to say, Rosembaum runs circles around Spacey as Lex.
I don't know, I think they are 2 different Lex's. Spacey was a take of Gene Hackman's version, while Rosenbaum has had a chance to make Lex his own. I actually liked Spacey's performance. I thought it wasn't as comical as Hackman from the original film, but still had that over the top touch to him.
Old 08-18-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
What are you talking about? They took so much liberty with the Superman backstory. Bringing in Lois, the Daily Planet and moving Metropolis to the mid west just to name a few. Taking out Pete Ross, who was a constant in Clark's life. Now, their bringing in Jimmy Olsen for the new season. I don't mind though, I just tell myself it's set in a different reality than the Superman that everyone is used to.

I'm not saying they can't or don't take some liberties. Their hands are still tied in what they can do because they have to pad everything out over a large amount episodes and they can only develop it so far without running out of material for future seasons. They end up going in circles when, if they had a movie they could all out in the span of only a few hours.

The show could be better but it's definitely a difficult line that the show makers have to walk when they have to fill so much time without crossing the line into full on Superman teritorry.
Old 08-18-06, 06:10 PM
Suspended

I like the fact that its set in a different reality than the Superman everyone is used to. It's nice to have a different take on the Supes universe. On Smallville I would NEVER buy Clark walking around like a clumsy nerd with glasses and a weird hairdo who would strip into tights, get a new slick harido and have everyone not being able to tell the difference Clark & Superman. That is not Smallville and would not work in a Smallville movie IMO. It might work in the Superman movies, but when you've watched Smallville you realize there's no way they could pull that off. I'm not sure I can even explain why. They just can't.

The Smallville writers at times appear to have zero guts and they really keep the show from reaching its potential at times. Other times is shows glimpses of greatness only to be pulled right back to mediocrity by the writers. I believe this is because the Smallville writers are severely limited in what they can and cannot do. They need more creative freedom. To be able to run with whatever story they want to do. One thing that Smallville has over Superman Returns is better and more established characters with a lot more depth.

If they were to make a film with little or no boundries I believe their writers might then really show us what they could do and it would be better than Superman Returns, IMO.
Old 08-18-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The great thing is we really have them both:

1. I loved Superman Returns and I can't wait for the movie to start up again in the next movie "Superman 4a". If they are smart, the "Superboy" story line could be a real winner, and the emotional tug that will come from Clark/Superman loving Lois (the mother of his child).

2. And Smallville returns this fall, I could not be happier.
Old 08-18-06, 07:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Here's the bottom line on this debate:

Smallville: The Movie would be a better film.

Superman Returns Again would make more cash (by far).
No, that is not at all the bottom line of the debate. I hate Smallville, I think it is a terrible retelling of the Superman story and nothing about it is, in my opinion, better than Superman Returns.
Old 08-18-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i would take smallville movie over another superman movie with that kid again
Old 08-18-06, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
No, that is not at all the bottom line of the debate. I hate Smallville, I think it is a terrible retelling of the Superman story and nothing about it is, in my opinion, better than Superman Returns.
Just curious, but how much of Smallville did you watch and did you start from the pilot. If you didn't start from the pilot your opinion shouldn't even count, IMO.
Old 08-18-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched every episode of Smallville and like the show and I would still rather see another Singer version of Superman on the big screen. Some things just need to stay on the small screen. Get it....SMALLville, SMALL screen.
Old 08-18-06, 09:55 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
Just curious, but how much of Smallville did you watch and did you start from the pilot. If you didn't start from the pilot your opinion shouldn't even count, IMO.
Well, to be honest, neither of our opinions count. What counts ate the opinions of WB execs. And according to that article in the Hollywood Reporter, a Superman Returns sequel is probably happening.
Old 08-18-06, 11:55 PM
Suspended

Well, to be honest, neither of our opinions count. What counts ate the opinions of WB execs. And according to that article in the Hollywood Reporter, a Superman Returns sequel is probably happening.
Ha. True. Still, what is the answer? Did you watch from the Pilot? IMO it's a must to have started from the pilot watching in order.
Old 08-19-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't bother going to see Superman Returns so I can't say anything bad about it but I know that personally I was NEVER excited about the film or looking forward to it.

On the other hand I would camp out for tickets if the star ever aligned enough for a Smallville movie to be made.
Old 08-19-06, 12:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I've watched every episode of Smallville and like the show and I would still rather see another Singer version of Superman on the big screen. Some things just need to stay on the small screen. Get it....SMALLville, SMALL screen.
Hey, I didn't say a Smallville movie had to go to the cinemas. I couldn't care less, because I usually watch everything on my home theater with my CRT front projector anyway. Straight to DVD or TV would be fine. I don't like the black levels of film in comparison, so most things get viewed on my system first.

Regardless of where or how it's released I won't be watching it on no "small" screen. I'm currently running a 9' screen and plan to move up to about 13'.
Old 08-19-06, 01:44 AM
Banned by request

You don't like the black levels of film and you're saying MY opinion shouldn't be counted??

And no, I haven't seen the pilot. I do, however, know the origin of Superman.
Old 08-19-06, 02:05 AM
Suspended

You don't like the black levels of film and you're saying MY opinion shouldn't be counted??
Ha. You've never seen CRT front projection apparently. Film has weak black levels compared to CRT front projection. My CRT front projector has an on/off contrast ratio of about 20,000:1 (top 9" CRTs go upto or past 30,000:1). In comparison DLP cinemas have about 2,000:1. CRT projection is the king of contrast and black levels. Film isn't even close.

When a CRT projector fades to black the room is pitch black. You can't even see your hand infront of your face.

So, CRT has almost ruined theater black levels for me. Everytime I see a dark scene like in Batman Begins it looks hazy. BTW though, I didn't say I didn't like the black levels of film. I said I didn't like them *in comparison" to my CRT projector's.

Film doesn't have the ability to turn off the lamp during dark scenes, hence grey black. CRT front projection does not use lamps like film, lcd or DLP. It can shut off the light to create true inky blacks. Black is the absence of light. Obviously I'm not referring to blacks in bright scenes.

Here's a small GIF of my screen (9 feet diagonal) taken with a 1 chip camcorder. To optimally view you may need calibrated CRT monitor (gamma correction would help a lot). The black on the screen should appear inky black and not elevated in any way whatsoever.

The Descent

For the hell of it here is an ambient light shot, where I blocked off direct light but it's still a readable environment:

I'm just saying you should at least watch only from the very beginning to judge the series. I originally misjudged some of my favorite series by not watching from the beginning. You should check out the pilot. Pretty much everyone loved it. I don't know how open minded you are though, but give it some thought. It was definitely a great start. Now the show definitely has it's ups and downs overall and became more of a guilty pleasure, but it showed a lot of potential and glimpses of greatness, but always had great characters (especially Lex and Lionel). Sadly the writers ended up having no guts (but I assume this is due to their certain rules they must abide by), but overall it's been a fun and entertaining ride getting to know the characters. Lex is the best Lex there ever could be in the Superman/Smallville verse. He pretty much made the show besides Clark, of course.

Superman is just a bit too black and white overall. Not enough shades of grey. Smallville shows those shades of grey. Lex on Smallville isn't just some cardboard cutout pure evil villain. He's a very complex character and you get to see his journey and how he slowly descends from good to evil as the series progresses. It shows those "grey" moments that give his character depth. Why he does the thing he does, etc. IMO, that is far more interesting than just plain good vs. evil. If I want to care more about this great evil villain Lex I'd like to see how he got there. I like character depth, the little big moments and it's near impossible to get the same kind of depth in just 2 hours.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 08-19-06 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-19-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Erica Durance as Lois > Kate Bosworth (by a longshot)
Tom Welling as Clark > Brandon Routh (Sorry, but I still see Tom Welling as Clark now. Too use to seeing him play the role.)
Michael Rosenbaum as Lex > Kevin Spacey (or anyone else for that matter. Nobody comes remotely close to Michael's protrayal of Lex.).
No frickin' doubt! Couldn't agree more. Sorry, but Routh made a pretty good looking Clark Kent. But he did not in any way make an acceptable Supes in my opinion. But I haven't liked the guy from the beginning. Not only that, the guy had nothing to do in the film but stand around and brood, considering the shockingly small amount of dialogue he was given, and even that was the most simplistic dialogue imaginable. Welling would have been far better in every respect, especially from a looks and physique standpoint. Not to mention that Welling's performances have improved by leaps and bounds over the last five seasons. Under Singer, he could have been very, very good. Others may or may not agree.

I also agree wholeheartedly that Durance makes a better Lois on Smallville than Bosworth made in Superman Returns. Better look and a much more feisty attitude, which fits Lois perfectly.

I can't say a bad thing about Spacey. Terrific actor. But I never could by into him as Luthor. The fact that they essentially made him a bully didn't help. I've become so accustomed to Rosenbaum that he is the perfect Lex to me.

As for a Smallville movie, no, forget that. Drop Kreuk, Mack, O'toole, and Schneider. I have no problem with any of those except for Kreuk, but they wouldn't fit in a film. Perhaps you could work Glover into a film some way, because he's done a great job on Smallville. But, this is nothing more than imagination since a Smallville film will never happen.

As for Superman Returns, Singer dropped the ball. I have a laundry list of criticisms, but I've refrained from giving them because it seemed to cause heated discussions in the Supes thread. My biggest gripe was that Singer basically remade the original film and copied at least 15-20 different aspects of the first two films. All of this despite the fact the film was supposed to follow the second film in the timeline. But I digress.
Old 08-20-06, 12:28 AM
Banned by request

Meanwhile, WB has said they want to do a sequel to Superman Returns in 2009. So this debate is just about over.
Old 08-20-06, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
First off I fucking hated Superman Returns, one of my worst movies of the summer. I had high hopes as well, what a disappointment.
The movie wasn't total garbage, but close, the movie looked fine, the CGI was a little OD, but the technical aspect of the movie looked good.

My issues I had was the terrible casting, shit ass rehash story (do we REALLY need to see Lex make another continent/land story again, shit has been done already) terrible acting, terrible casting. Singer's "vision" sucked, and I hated the story. I hated the love triangle between Lois, her hubby and Supes. boring!

Lets see would we rather see a Lex Luthor from Smallville, that is a rich, savvy cutthroat businessman trying to be on top and crushing the competition, and his struggle with Superman, or do we want to see a pussy ass Lex Luthor that prays on old ladies, stealing there shit?? WTF, what a boring, BORING ass story. Rosenbaum's Luthor is 1000000x more interesting than Spacey. And on Smalville Lex's and Clark's issues actually have some depth and meaning, not like SR.

Kate Bosworth, oh my god, the shittiest casting I have ever seen. She looked nothing like the part, and her acting sucks. Too young looking, no charisma, and flat out boring. Kate Bosworth is a terrible actress. I tell you what Kate, stick with a Blue Crush sequel that's all your good for.

I know I will get flamed for all this shit, I don't care, I know how many Singer meat riders there are out there, and its cool. I think his directing was one of his weakest outings, it felt forced, and lacked heart. I don't know if it was him or the pressure of the big budget production, but from what I saw it wasn't him 100%

I love Smallville, I may be the only one, I don't give a shit. The series has its issues, don't get me wrong its far from perfection, but the series is 1000000x more interesting than Superman Returns. The characters can actually act, and are way more interesting. Ya SM has there garbage episodes, like all TV does, but the standout characters make it real. Some of the best moments in the show are between Lex and Lionel. And oh ya, these characters actually have some depth.

Erica Durance as Lois > Kate Bosworth (by a long shot)
Tom Welling as Clark > Brandon Routh (Sorry, but I still see Tom Welling as Clark now. Too use to seeing him play the role.)
Michael Rosenbaum as Lex > Kevin Spacey (or anyone else for that matter. Nobody comes remotely close to Michael's portrayal of Lex.).
^I agree 100%

Ok lets get real now, I had my bitch fest, lets look at the reality.

A Smallville movie more than likely wouldn't do that great at the BO. Its better as a TV show and on the small screen. The show's chances of doing good at the BO are about as good as Firefly's (and we know the hardcore following that show has) and look how Firefly/Serenity did, or Buffy The Vampire Slayer, that's the reality.

As the above poster mentioned

Smallville: The Movie would be a better film.

Superman Returns Again would make more cash (by far).
Flame all you want.