Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Escape From New York Film (D: Bettinelli-Olpin/Gillett, EP: Carpenter)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://bloody-disgusting.com/index.p...plate=newsfull

It has been 25 years since Kurt Russell made his first appearance as the bad ass Snake Plissken in John Carpenter's Escape from New York, now it looks like Russell and Carpenter are teaming up once again, this time to leave Earth. Escape From Earth is the title of the third entry to the franchise, according to our anonymous scooper. Inside you can read the unconfirmed scoop, which we'll be looking into this week...

Anonymous writes in:

"A major meeting was held at Paramount last week with both John Carpenter and Kurt Russell in attendance. The topic -- preparing for a third entry in the Snake Plissken chronicles entitled Escape From Earth.

Apparently, Carpenter completed a script for the project eight years ago but the studio has now taken an interest in it after Russell demanded doing it before signing on with the studio for a three picture deal.

Although the screenplay is being kept under tight wraps, I'm told (by another anonymous) who was lucky enough to take a peek at the first thirteen pages that the script takes off immediately where the previous left off and features our planet en-route to Armageddon.

It looks as though Carpenter will push-off the production of Psychopath with Titan Productions and collaborator Todd Farmer in order to ready this entry for a 2008 release.In the first film, which takes place in 1998, the US President crashes into Manhattan, which is now a giant max. security prison, a convicted bank robber is sent in for a rescue.
I'd love to see another Escape movie, so I really hope this ends up being true.
Old 08-05-06, 11:21 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, and great news!
Old 08-05-06, 11:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just as long as this one has no surfing, I'm in.
Old 08-06-06, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Cool. I really enjoyed the first two movies. I'd definately be in for a third.
Old 08-06-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Best news of the day!!
Old 08-06-06, 06:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Can't wait! One of my all time favorite movies.
Old 08-06-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good to me! Let's hope it really happens.
Old 08-06-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Likely would rent it. Agree though, no surfing or I am out.
Old 08-06-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I remember hearing about Escape from Earth at the same time as Escape from LA was being released. I have always loved the Snake character and was dissappointed that LA never lived up to New York. You could see the budget had been cut because some of the effects are just awful in it. They should have kept it gritty like the original. It did have some great scenes....the basketball sequence and Kurt Russell looking exactly the same as he did in the original, so i would have high hopes for a third film. I mean if they are making a sequel to the shitty Steve Martin Pink Panther, then surely Snake deserves another chance. This could be a cool movie. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-06-06, 03:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Also, it would help if this time, it wasn't almost an exact remake of the original.
Old 08-06-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds pretty cool. And I also was disappointed with L.A. but it does have some terrific stand alone sequences and Snake was badass as always. So I'd definitely purchase a 16.9 enhanced released of the film.
Old 08-06-06, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's the love for Snakes on a Surfboard?
Old 08-06-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Let's just hope it's an actual SEQUEL this time around...my biggest problem with ESCAPE FROM LA was that it wasn't really a sequel to the first film as much as it was a remake of it.
Old 08-06-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'd see another Escape flick.
Old 08-06-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Off topic, but if Carpenter and Russell are looking to team-up again, wouldn't a BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA sequel have much more appeal? Then again, I guess Paramount doesn't hold the rights to those characters...
Old 08-07-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Escape from LA was a piece of shit! That being said, I love the Snake character and would love to see a third movie.
Old 08-07-06, 12:08 AM

Shannon L.A. was a sequel.

The world went too hell after the first film,Snake had various adventures in the years leading up to L.A.,where we follow him on his current adventure.

It's not like he was locked up immediately after the first film ended(since he was free to go). So there is no real point if the film takes place 15 years later,why we'd have to see what happened to Snake immediately after the original ended and how he got locked up this time.
Old 08-07-06, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kudama
Where's the love for Snakes on a Surfboard?
I love that scene myself as bad as the effects are

In fact I remember literally jumping with geekish joy when I saw the tv spot for the first time literally jumping up throwing my fists in the air screaming "YESSSSSSSSSSS" Rocky style. Since I find Snake a total badass and always wanted to see more films with him in,but never thought that would happen.

Of course the film didn't meet my expectations,but Snake still kicks ass in the film and it does have memorable badass individual set pieces. I especially like the ending of the picture.

Though my geekish enthusiasm at the time was probably tame compared to those old enough to have seen N.Y. when it first came out(I was 1 at the time). So I didn't see the film until I was 10 or something in the early 90's. But since I never expected Snake to return,I was totally excited,lol.
Old 08-07-06, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker

The world went too hell after the first film,Snake had various adventures in the years leading up to L.A.,where we follow him on his current adventure.

It's not like he was locked up immediately after the first film ended(since he was free to go). So there is no real point if the film takes place 15 years later,why we'd have to see what happened to Snake immediately after the original ended and how he got locked up this time.
I think you sort of missed Shannon's point. LA felt more like a remake than a sequel because the plots were way too similar. I'm probably alone in thinking that "New Crime City" was a better "escape from LA" movie than "Escape From L.A." was. It may have been more stupid, but it at least knew it was stupid.
Old 08-07-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
LA felt more like a remake than a sequel because the plots were way too similar.
Exactly.
Old 08-07-06, 08:22 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Was disappointed in L.A. - but interested in seeing this be made.
Old 08-07-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
They have GOT to get a better villain this time. That dude in the sequel was no Duke of New York.
Old 08-07-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker

Umm...if you don't think LA is essentially a remake of NEW YORK, you really need to watch the movie again. I understand that "technically" it may be a sequel, but as far as scenes/story/ideas go, it's about 90% remake. In fact, Carpenter has admitted to such in an interview with Total Film magazine:

TF: Yet a lot of people regard Escape From LA as more of a big budget remake than a sequel...

JC : Paramount said that, with sequels, audiences want the same thing but somehow different. So we took the structure of the first movie and inverted everything. LA’s not just a prison; it’s also the only real “free” place. Snake Plissken is not a rescuer; he’s an assassin. I looked at in the same way Howard Hawks approached El Dorado after he’d made Rio Bravo. He made the same movie structurally but changed the details.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 08-07-06 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-07-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Favorite movie of all time is Escape From New York, liked LA and would love to see another Snake movie!!
Old 08-07-06, 12:13 PM
Suspended

It's a remake. Right down to the part where Snake, not really knowing what to do next, plucks a chair out of some garbage and just sits down.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.