Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard (June 29, 2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard (June 29, 2007)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Bay shot Transformers in mind with the PG-13. What happened is that the MPAA slapped it with an R stating it would be "too intense" for younger viewers (due to the film's non-stop action in the second half). Of course, DreamWorks and Paramount weren't too happy with this. So Spielberg came in and pretty much told the MPAA to give him the PG-13 and viola!
Yeah. Maybe I should have put "appeal" in quotes.
Old 06-25-07, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i must say that i will go outside and see this film... nothing good in theaters anyway since months....
Old 06-25-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chanster
Man I remember being shocked - SHOCKED! by the nudity in Titanic. It was a nice surprise.
The Woman in Red was PG-13 and you see bush.
Old 06-25-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
At this point I don't give a flying fucking shit about the PG13 rating. Am I disappointed? Hell fucking ya I am, but fuck it. I fucking love Willis as McClane, I fucking love the Die Hard franchise, and I am going to enjoy the fuck out of this movie. I think people who keep bitching moaning and pissing about the rating, are missing the point of this is going to be a great fucking summer popcorn flick. Will it make a grip of cash, probably fucking not, but fuck it we get Bruce Willis in one more Die Hard outing (maybe more) blowing up and shooting some fuckers if I can enjoy the Bourne series at PG13 I will enjoy this shit. The trailer looks awesome, the TV spots are attracting attention.

Plus how about some love for Maggie Q.....

and Mary Elizabeth......

In McClane We Fucking Trust!

Old 06-26-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
If you can't trust the opinion of someone who has actually had dealings with the ratings board then you are clearly just delusional.

Plus while the MPAA doesn't tell you what to cut they can suggest that, say, the overall violence level in the film is too high and it is generally pretty easy for an intelligent person to understand what things they are targeting.

But whatever, don't believe me. The entire Matrix trilogy has less violence and language than the first Die Hard alone not one but all three films got tagged as R. I also think it is extremely important in the argument to look not at what one can get away with in a PG-13 but what constitues an R. Transformers was also rated R on the first pass and got a PG-13 on appeal so I really don't think it takes much to acquire an R these days -- the famous line itself is enough seeing as LFoDH doesn't contain it in its entirety -- and that's just the beginning when it comes to the original.

I agree Droid,and think we should just ignore D2cheer. He sounds like a troll in many ways. Where no matter what,he'll come back with "I don't believe you,blah blah blah blah blah", just to continue the annoyance. Since his post to you laughing at your comments on 'knowing someone in the industry' is proof of his immaturity level.

But I will say you are 100% correct. While ratings are 'subjective' and the MPAA doesn't 'tell' you what to 'cut'. It doesn't take much than an actual viewing of Die Hard uncut,to know there is no way in hell,'minor trims' would earn it a PG-13.

But D2cheer won't dare use common sense in this case,and will continue the trolling know matter what information is presented to him. So,it's best to just ignore him from now on. The headache of dealing with him,is just not worth it.

So whatever ignorant things he replies back with. Let's all just ignore him.
Old 06-27-07, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
I have been a member of this form longer than both of you, I have learned a long time ago to ignore you Julie....your clueless comments are a joke as are most of what you post.

I was just fine letting this go, but... No I do not believe him and never will it is way too convenient for him to claim that he knows someone of course he can't "say" who it is, just to try and "win" an agrument on a messagae board, and that is just sad and pathethic.

Ignore me all you want...and you certainly went out of your way to ignore me didn't you? Calling me immature when you just had to get your shots in again even after you said you were done? It still will not make me wrong or you and droid right... in the end you still just have your opinions and I have mine.

Last edited by d2cheer; 06-27-07 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-27-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I was just fine letting this go, but... No I do not believe him and never will it is way too convenient for him to claim that he knows someone of course he can't "say" who it is, just to try and "win" an agrument on a messagae board, and that is just sad and pathethic.
I could tell you who it is but it'd just be some guy on IMDb...it's not like it's anyone famous...so what difference does it make?
Old 06-27-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
I could tell you who it is but it'd just be some guy on IMDb...it's not like it's anyone famous...so what difference does it make?

Probably none…maybe I was wondering if it was someone that could actually have some pull or influence with the ratings board. Even then I would not reconsider my argument. Look I have made my point about how I feel about this as you have made yours basically it had become a two person argument, until Julie had to stick his nose back in…and try to pass me off as a troll, rile me up and make me use a personal attack on him and try to get me suspended (at least that is how I look at it) when I have been posting longer here than he has. Not that it makes any difference how long you have been here; everyone’s opinion is valid to me.

I am not going to change my mind as I know you will not change yours. I am letting it go at that.
Old 06-28-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Didn't want to peak in the review thread...

Are there any spoiler-free reviews out there?
Old 06-28-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Didn't want to peak in the review thread...

Are there any spoiler-free reviews out there?
Word thus far is positive. Best reviews from the mainstream critics since the first Die Hard. Opinions on here vary, but the average opinion is better than expected.
Old 06-28-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Made just under $8.9m on Wednesday, not a bad start.
Old 06-28-07, 12:46 PM
Banned

what is it projected to make?
Old 06-29-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The entire Matrix trilogy has less violence and language than the first Die Hard alone not one but all three films got tagged as R.
Wrong. Language, yeah, but violence? No way.
Old 06-29-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
At this point I don't give a flying fucking shit about the PG13 rating. Am I disappointed? Hell fucking ya I am, but fuck it. I fucking love Willis as McClane, I fucking love the Die Hard franchise, and I am going to enjoy the fuck out of this movie. I think people who keep bitching moaning and pissing about the rating, are missing the point of this is going to be a great fucking summer popcorn flick. Will it make a grip of cash, probably fucking not, but fuck it we get Bruce Willis in one more Die Hard outing (maybe more) blowing up and shooting some fuckers if I can enjoy the Bourne series at PG13 I will enjoy this shit. The trailer looks awesome, the TV spots are attracting attention.

Dude, I need to see this movie with you. If you talk in the movies like you post there should be no problem upping the F-bomb quotient of the theatrical experience. Did John McClane teach you to talk or something?
Old 06-29-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good film, not a great film.

I'm really glad I closed my eyes the 25 times they showed the trailer before other movies. None of the action was spoiled for me.

I still don't understand all of the reviews saying that this doesn't feel like a Die Hard film. It may not feel like the first, but neither did Die Hard With a Vengence.
Old 06-30-07, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Dude, I need to see this movie with you. If you talk in the movies like you post there should be no problem upping the F-bomb quotient of the theatrical experience. Did John McClane teach you to talk or something?
LOL thanks man. You are always welcome to the movies with me, I have a great time there. The swearing was just a funny towards all the people bitching about the rating, so I just went off on a tangent. I actually do swear a lot but try and keep it minimal when posting.
Old 06-30-07, 03:23 AM

Lot's going on in this thread, but I'm just dropping in to lay down my 2 cents on the movie itself. Looking back, I know I went into this show with low expectations, but man, I loved this movie!

This is classic summer blow-up fare done well and there is nothing wrong with that. I was lucky enough to see this in a new theater with state of the art DTS and have never heard a movie perform this well, utterly shocking.
Old 06-30-07, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Wrong. Language, yeah, but violence? No way.
Are you saying The Matrix was more violent than Die Hard? Guess that depends on how you define violence. Die Hard was a hell of a lot more brutal!
Old 06-30-07, 05:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What was so brutal about what we actually saw in Die Hard? Almost all of the blood was on McClane after a scrape.
Old 06-30-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
What was so brutal about what we actually saw in Die Hard? Almost all of the blood was on McClane after a scrape.
How about when Takagi get's his brains blown out. A few security guards get blown away to great effect in the early goings...
Old 06-30-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You also have to remember Die Hard came out in 1988, the ratings standards have changed in the last 19 years.
Old 06-30-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
How quickly you all forget McClane shooting one of the henchman's knees up to giblets Total-Recall-style.
Old 08-13-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this film last night at the drive-in, double feature with The Simpsons.

It was a bad movie. Not "unwatchable" bad, but just "they tried to do way too much" bad. The plot was moronic (yes, that's spelled correctly) and I'm having trouble thinking of a single stunt that was believable. Oh well, could have been worse I guess - I could have paid $8 to see it at a normal theater.

Just a sidenote, doing a search for "free" doesn't bring up this thread.

Last edited by Heat; 08-13-07 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
WTF? Die Hard's violence would be "PG-13" by today's standards? No f-in way! It's a hardcore movie.

This talk ranks up (or down?) with a thread back in '02 that questioned if the Lord of the Rings sequels would be finished/released.

I'm dumb-ified.

Six weeks after seeing it... I'm still looking forward to watching it again. I doubt I'll watch it, literally, around 100 times - like I've managed to do with DH3. But it's a fun movie. I'll put in the DVD from time to time.

Like I said before, "it was begged into existance". A movie that fans begged for. I think it's as good as it could have been, under the system that controlled it (the people who funded it). They did what they could with what was available. They pleased a lot of fans. I don't feel like the artists involved could have done anything better.
Old 08-24-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just saw this tonight in Australia and I have a question that may have been asked and answered somewhere in this thread but I can't be assed going through 13 pages.

Some of the dialogue seemed obviously dubbed over. In particular lines involving swearing or scenes where you would expect swearing. Anyone else notice this?
Leads me to think there may be an uncut audio track that might be in a future release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.