Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Miami Vice - The Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Miami Vice - The Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Mogwai saved this movie from being an F for me with two badass songs.
When their first song started playing it took me a minute to identify who it was by, but I couldn't believe it when I figured it out. Then the other one came on at the end and my jaw dropped again. I however liked the movie, and those songs were kind of a bonus
Old 07-31-06, 11:11 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing this on a TV screen, oddly enough. The graininess of a lot of the low-light scenes constantly distracted me. Sometimes it seemed like they were trying to get away with absolutely no artificial lighting --like in the approach to the trailer in the trailer park. I just don't think that's a good idea. It was a decent cop movie, but I can understand that a mainstream audience that isn't into closely following the operations of an undercover team would not necessarily enjoy it.
Old 07-31-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
I was expecting an action flick and got a drawn out romance with a little bit of shooting at the end. It was definitely disappointed and probably won't be buying it when it hits dvd.
Word.

The "girl friend" subplots came at the expence of a.) developing chemistry between Crockett and Tubbs and b.) action (save for the last half hour).

Disappointing, but I'll probably rent the DVD upon its release so I can watch it with closed captioning.
Old 07-31-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide

Disappointing, but I'll probably rent the DVD upon its release so I can watch it with closed captioning.
Word. There might have been some stuff that made the movie better that I missed due to the muffled delivery of the lines.

I predict that this will drop massively next weekend as word gets out it's not as much action as one would think. Though I must admit I am getting tired of studios mismarketing everything so much. Both this and V For Vendetta played the action to umpteenth degree on their TV spots, and neither had a lot. I liked V For Vendetta though, but I know not giving audiences what they expect generates horrid word of mouth regardless of how good a film might prove.
Old 07-31-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ugh. It felt like it was 5 hours long. As soon as they get in the boat to Cuba, it's a protracted, boring mess. It was pretty good up until then though. I thought Foxx was awesome and Farrell looked COMPLETELY out of place. And what the hell was with his fake tan and mullet? I don't remember Johnson looking like that in the show. The whole thing just felt tedious and amateur, very disappointing.
Old 07-31-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bravesmg
... and Farrell looked COMPLETELY out of place. And what the hell was with his fake tan and mullet? I don't remember Johnson looking like that in the show...
Looks like a pretty close match.

I personally like the flick... Wasn't the best thing I've ever seen, but I also didn't feel like I wasted my time or money...
Old 07-31-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
That's not a mullet.

Old 07-31-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

well if we're gonna split hairs... neither was colin's. it look like that, maybe a tad shorter in the back.

neither one of them hand actual mullets...
Old 08-01-06, 12:00 AM
Banned

the trailers were definitely misleading as they made it look like a bad boys type of big action movie, when it was more of a crime drama.

i did enjoy it though, i thought it was beautifully shot, and the 3 actions scenes (beginning, white trailer, and end) were fantastic.

bullet shots were very realistic...cool sounding. gong li needed to work on her english...being asian i could understand her but i could see how a lot of people would have difficulty...it's a great role though and i thought her performance was solid.

colin farrel really looks out of shape...his david beckham mullet cut looked cool at times but not in others...and he looked chubby in his suit, no where near as suave as jamie foxx, who basically was a badass in his limited scenes. i agree that separating the 2 guys so they could be with the 2 girls was a mistake and detracted from the momentum of the film.
Old 08-01-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the trailers were definitely misleading as they made it look like a bad boys type of big action movie, when it was more of a crime drama.
It's Mann... did you expect something that wasn't a crime drama?
Old 08-01-06, 12:24 AM
Banned

some funny things i noticed...

1) why are the two cops driving a ferrari? not a police car i've seen anytime recently. they never really say what department they're in...
2) did you see the blue flames shoot out of the backside? for show, or what was that?
3) did you notice that sometimes gong li's dialogue didn't match her lip movements? i think so much of what she probably said was unintelligible they had to have her redub a lot of her dialogue over herself so people could understand it..i don't know why they didn't try to get better dialogue coaches...i did like how they showed her without too much make up though; she is naturally beautiful and it accentuated her vulnerabilities.
Old 08-01-06, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by UKingdom
1) why are the two cops driving a ferrari? not a police car i've seen anytime recently. they never really say what department they're in...
One of the inspirations for the TV show was when it was learned that undercover officers were able to appropriate cars, boats, whatever taken from criminals to maintain their cover.
Old 08-01-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. I've seen it mentioned before but the only problem I had was the romance scenes in the middle kind of went on a bit too long. They're in the middle of wheeling and dealing and Sonny goes off for what seemed like a three day romp with one of the top drug-lords. Oh well, not enough to bring the movie down for me.
Old 08-01-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ummm...their in the Vice squad.
Old 08-01-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this on Friday and wow just AWFUL from beginning to end. I hate movies that start by throwing so much plot at you in the first 5 minutes, that it's hard to comprehend and you have no idea whats going on. The story has been done sooooo many times before (two cops go undercover to bring down a druglord, one of the cops falls in love with a bad girl) and much better. Also, besides the climax, the film has almost NO action. What the hell? Thanks for making this seem like it is "action-packed", Universal. Don't misunderstand me here, I don't need nonstop action in an action movie, but if what we are seeing is boring and hard-to-follow, I want to see shit blowing up! The film actually reminded me of Bad Boys 2, in terms of the villains and a little bit storywise...except minus ALL the fun of that movie (say what you will about it, but I love Bad Boys 2). Allow me to quickly sum up why I hated this movie: the script sucked (terrible, terrible generic cop dialogue), the acting sucked (most likely due to the terrible script), the directing was poor (some of the scenes had awful framing, like one character's head would be half off the screen while another was speaking to him), pacing was very bad (the film seemed to last 3 hours), and the whole production seemed rushed, like Mann did one take of every scene and hurried on to the next. Some of you may not agree with me and thats ok because everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for me, this is the worst film I have seen this year and doubt I will see something worse by December.
Old 08-01-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

2) did you see the blue flames shoot out of the backside? for show, or what was that?
3) did you notice that sometimes gong li's dialogue didn't match her lip movements? i think so much of what she probably said was unintelligible they had to have her redub a lot of her dialogue over herself so people could understand it..i don't know why they didn't try to get better dialogue coaches...i did like how they showed her without too much make up though; she is naturally beautiful and it accentuated her vulnerabilities.

I have seen that happen on the track. Not sure if it has to do with the fuel mixture or what but I was ok with it.
Old 08-01-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I saw this on Friday and wow just AWFUL from beginning to end. I hate movies that start by throwing so much plot at you in the first 5 minutes, that it's hard to comprehend and you have no idea whats going on. The story has been done sooooo many times before (two cops go undercover to bring down a druglord, one of the cops falls in love with a bad girl) and much better. Also, besides the climax, the film has almost NO action. What the hell? Thanks for making this seem like it is "action-packed", Universal. Don't misunderstand me here, I don't need nonstop action in an action movie, but if what we are seeing is boring and hard-to-follow, I want to see shit blowing up! The film actually reminded me of Bad Boys 2, in terms of the villains and a little bit storywise...except minus ALL the fun of that movie (say what you will about it, but I love Bad Boys 2). Allow me to quickly sum up why I hated this movie: the script sucked (terrible, terrible generic cop dialogue), the acting sucked (most likely due to the terrible script), the directing was poor (some of the scenes had awful framing, like one character's head would be half off the screen while another was speaking to him), pacing was very bad (the film seemed to last 3 hours), and the whole production seemed rushed, like Mann did one take of every scene and hurried on to the next. Some of you may not agree with me and thats ok because everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for me, this is the worst film I have seen this year and doubt I will see something worse by December.
I could of sworn you wrote you weren't going to put this comment in this thread.

Last edited by mrhan; 08-01-06 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-01-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
I could of sworn you wrote you weren't going to put this comment in this thread.
Yeah well that was before they locked my thread...I want people to know what a terrible movie this is
Old 08-01-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah well that was before they locked my thread...I want people to know what a terrible movie this is
...oh for the love of...
Old 08-01-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
Could of?
Old 08-01-06, 05:29 PM

bullet shots were very realistic...cool sounding.
Yeah, I think nobody does "guns" better than Mann. His efforts with authentic-feeling action scenes seem to get better with each movie (whether said movie is well-received or not). BTW, I really enjoyed this film, but like many others, probably rank it a tier below Heat and Collateral.
Old 08-01-06, 09:04 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this today, not too bad at all. I wish they worked on the chemistry between the 2 leads and a few pacing problems. Will definitely pick this up on dvd.
Old 08-02-06, 01:09 AM
Banned

Some people go on mission trips to third world countries, others volunteer their time at homeless shelters or charities, professionals offer pro bono legal or medical services... Adam Sandler's No. 1 fan is on a mission to tell people about the harm Miami Vice brings to the world.
Old 08-02-06, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
^On point

We have already seen this movie before, its called Bad Boys & Bad Boys 2, except those movies were good popcorn fun, this movie is garbage....and I am a big fan of the show.

Horrible story, lousy directing, terrible acting, 0 chemistry, 0 character developement, shitty pacing. A bad bad movie.

Bad Boys was 100000 times better than this movie. At least Will Smith has some sort of on screen presense. I know you Bay haters are going to flame me for this, but I love BB and BB2.

And why the fuck did Jamie Foxx's character introduce his real wife to one of the main bad guys, WTF??

The only, and I mean ONLY cool shit is when that chick blew that dudes head off in the trailer, that shit was tight.

Ranking up there as one of the worse movies of the summer, right along with Superman Returns.
Old 08-02-06, 04:07 AM

I actually enjoyed Miami Vice quite a bit. The cinematography was incredible, (some of) the performances were great, and the action was thrilling. As far as the acting goes, I thought almost everyone was great, and Colin Farrell was impeccable. Jamie Foxx, however, did little but stand around and try to look "bad*ss". As others have mentioned, Gong Li's accent was a bit distracting, but she nailed the emotional core of her character so well that the unclear dialogue didn't make much of a difference.

Overall, I'd give it a 8/10.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.