Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Vin Diesel and BET Team on Animated Hannibal

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may get moved to the TV Forum, but I will start it here. I was looking foward to the rumored Vin Diesel Hannibal movie, but I guess it will be an animated series instead.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=15600

Diesel and BET Team on Animated Hannibal
Source: BET July 21, 2006

BET Networks' newly-minted animation unit will join with Vin Diesel's One Race Productions to produce "Hannibal the Conqueror," an animated series based on the life of Hannibal of Carthage, universally recognized as the greatest military leader in the history of the world. The project was jointly announced by Vin Diesel and Reginald Hudlin, BET President of Entertainment. One Race Vice President Samantha Vincent and Diesel will executive produce. Last January, BET announced the formation of BET Animation under the management of Denys Cowan, former producer of the hit animated series "The Boondocks."

The series will span the life of Hannibal, from his tutelage as a warrior under his father, the king of Carthage, to his history-making invasions of Spain, England and his legendary scaling of the Alps with his army of elephants. He assembled an army from around the world to challenge the Roman Empire and his techniques and plans are still studied today.

"From my first week at BET, I have been pursuing this project," says Hudlin. "Vin Diesel brings great thought and passion to both character development and storylines, and we are pleased to be the first to be in the animation production business with Vin and One Race Productions. 'Hannibal' will be epic storytelling."

"It only took Reginald Hudlin becoming President of Entertainment for me to know that BET would be the perfect network to launch a 'Hannibal' franchise, the story of the great African general who fought an empire," said Diesel. "Having worked passionately for ten years to develop a film property on Hannibal, this animated series will offer audiences a chance to begin to understand the larger-than-life mythology of this classic figure."
Old 07-22-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"universally recognized as the greatest military leader in the history of the world"

I'd like to see some facts to back that up.
Old 07-22-06, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
"universally recognized as the greatest military leader in the history of the world"

I'd like to see some facts to back that up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_Barca
Old 07-22-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
Yup, Alexander was better.
Old 07-22-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
So what happened to the live-action movie?
Old 07-23-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
So what happened to the live-action movie?
so did this really go from big budget epic to BET cartoon?
I can't stop laughing, I guess the pacifier didn't help him secure funding for a huge epic. This can't be real but i know it is.
Old 07-23-06, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been done once before. Coincidentally with Alexander the great as the subject matter. In Reign the conquerer, it was unwatchable.

As for the greater General I'd have to go with Hannibal. Alexander accomplished more but most of his battles weren't against the greatest of opponents. Hannibal defeated the Roman army on its own soil when they were thought to be unbeatable. Using a rag tag group mostly comprised of men who spoke different languages. He would have taken Rome itself but the leaders in Carthage wouldn't send him reinforcements.