Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Children Of Men (merged/spoilers)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Children Of Men (merged/spoilers)

Old 05-25-07, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This movie reminded me of 28 weeks later without zombies.

This was actually probably my favorite movie of last year. Its not something I can watch over and over but the movie was pretty powerful to me.
Old 05-25-07, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
i've watched this movie over 1,000 times.
Old 05-25-07, 03:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I probably could, Ive seen it about 5 times now
Old 05-25-07, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redrum
i've watched this movie over 1,000 times.
Old 06-10-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched this on HD-DVD and had such a reaction to it I had to post something.

This movie let me down like no other movie has before. It was beautiful. The action was realistic. The sets and environments were PERFECT.

The story, especially the non-ending, left me wondering what happened to the awesome movie that this promised to be 20 min into the film.

SPOILERS (duh)

I know that many of you folks who enjoyed the movie probably enjoyed the journey and don't care much about the destination. I am not that kind of film watcher. I want to see SOMETHING happen in the end that lets me know that I didn't just waste 2 hours of my time.

CHILDREN OF MEN wasted 2 hours of my time. Yes he gets Kee and the baby to the Boat of Tomorrow. But then after that a black wasteland descended upon them...oh wait that was the end credits.

WTF?

I don't want the entire infertility problem wrapped up in a bow after Kee and child are on the boat for 5 minutes, but I would like to know exactly what it is they are looking for. What tests are these 'Human Project' people going to run? What is their theory? Are they going to test her blood? Urine? Skin? Test for radiation? Chemical warfare? Pollution?

I realize that no one, no characters in the film, not the writer of the book, or the people making the movie have given the infertility problem a second thought. They are satisfied with "it just happened.'

I am NOT satisfied with it just happened.

This film is 95% complete. I want to see Kee and Dylan get on the boat, be greeted, and have someone outline WHAT they are going to do on that boat which was the whole reason for the movie in the FIRST PLACE.
Old 06-10-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I want to see Kee and Dylan get on the boat, be greeted, and have someone outline WHAT they are going to do on that boat which was the whole reason for the movie in the FIRST PLACE.
Movies aren't always about what they're about.
Old 06-10-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What tests are these 'Human Project' people going to run? What is their theory? Are they going to test her blood? Urine? Skin? Test for radiation? Chemical warfare? Pollution?
It has been a while since I saw the movie, so maybe i'm not remembering some of it, but was it even stated that The Human Project was going to solve this pregnancy problem, or deal with it? I don't think so. I think they just wanted to go off somewhere and start up their own new society, free of all the war and destruction going on. London seemed like it could be blown to hell at any second by terrorists.
Old 06-10-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spoilers below:

Spoiler:
It's more about Theo's journey from being this guy who has come to terms with mankind's mortality on this planet in a disaffected manner where one day just blurs into the next as there's nothing really to live for. Then his ex-wife gets him involved in doing something to sustain the human race with his transport of Kee and child to the Human Project. Even in death, Theo's sacrifice meant something, even when his first chance at procreation resulted in his son's premature death, but by his actions which got Kee and child to safe harbor, it gives mankind a small chance to sustain itself on this planet.
Old 06-10-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 348 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
This film is 95% complete. I want to see Kee and Dylan get on the boat, be greeted, and have someone outline WHAT they are going to do on that boat which was the whole reason for the movie in the FIRST PLACE.
You're confusing your own shortcomings with the movie's.

A denouement like the one you're suggesting would not only be trite, but would render the preceding two hours meaningless.

Last edited by slop101; 06-10-07 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just saw it again... did she really give birth in the movie? it looked pretty real.
Old 12-09-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mole177
Just saw it again... did she really give birth in the movie? it looked pretty real.
Just wanted to have that in canon.
Old 12-09-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 348 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Mole177
I hope you're kidding.

Old 12-09-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks amazingly real, that's for sure.
Old 12-09-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Corvin
Movies aren't always about what they're about.
Old 12-09-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

damn...
Old 04-04-20, 06:08 PM

Re: Children Of Men (merged/spoilers)

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Spoiler:
He was only wearing sandals..or maybe nothing at all, and stepped on some glass I believe
theo cuts his right foot because he lost his thong. when he fights with syd, theo gets up and runs throwing his thong because it turns and prevents him from running. theo says: hoo fuck flip flops! and we see her flying in the corridor.

The following users liked this post:
Mabuse (04-07-20)
Old 04-05-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 312 Likes on 222 Posts

This is not what I expect when a new member shows up posting about thongs.
IBJoel (04-06-20)
Old 11-16-22, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 714 Likes on 503 Posts

Hmmm. I know I watched this back when it came out, and it didn't leave an impression on me back then.

Not remembering much, I revisited it on Hulu since it has been brought up on a few podcasts I listen to. Still not much of an impression.

I don't mind bleak. I love dystopian and slow burn. For some reason, this just wasn't getting me though. I admire it for its filmmaking, but the story was off. Considering the point was about an immigrant giving birth and becoming the hope for humanity when immigration was being vilified, it seemed pretty shitty to make the movie a white savior story. It wasn't about saving the black woman or humanity, it was about giving Theo redemption and that was driven home by the ending. It was a misstep, IMO.

Old 11-16-22, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 819 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Hmmm. I know I watched this back when it came out, and it didn't leave an impression on me back then.

Not remembering much, I revisited it on Hulu since it has been brought up on a few podcasts I listen to. Still not much of an impression.

I don't mind bleak. I love dystopian and slow burn. For some reason, this just wasn't getting me though. I admire it for its filmmaking, but the story was off. Considering the point was about an immigrant giving birth and becoming the hope for humanity when immigration was being vilified, it seemed pretty shitty to make the movie a white savior story. It wasn't about saving the black woman or humanity, it was about giving Theo redemption and that was driven home by the ending. It was a misstep, IMO.

When immigration was still being vilified? Um, ok.
Old 11-16-22, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I watched this when it first came out on DVD a long time ago and don’t really care for it. It just felt overly bleak. Years later I decided to give it another shot after reading up on a few positive reviews. I ended up buying the blu-ray and absolutely loved it. I was far more engrossed into eh film the second time. It’s just a fantastic piece of filmmaking!
Kurt D (11-17-22)
Old 11-17-22, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

I loved this film from the start. Top 10 of the 2000s for me. The car chase scene was masterful. I like bleak though…explains why I love Hillcoat’s adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s The Road too.
The following 3 users liked this post by bunkaroo:
[email protected] (11-18-22), IBJoel (11-17-22), story (11-17-22)
Old 11-17-22, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 781 Posts

Man, I haven't watched the film since it first came out, but I remember really liking it. I need to revisit it, I still have the HD DVD kicking around somewhere, hopefully it still plays but I doubt it because the thing is a combo disc and most of those ended up rotting.

Old 11-17-22, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
explains why I love Hillcoat’s adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s The Road too.
I've never seen the film but I've read the book and man is it fucking bleak, not sure if I want to watch the movie version.
Old 11-17-22, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I've never seen the film but I've read the book and man is it fucking bleak, not sure if I want to watch the movie version.
The movie follows the book pretty closely. They’re both fucking bleak.
Old 11-17-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In that case I'm definitely out, the story was really depressing (albeit very well written).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.