Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do New Yorkers Get Tired of Seeing Movies Set in New York?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-12-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wondered this. Whether it's a superhero film, a drama, an action flick...even a romantic comedy...movies always just seem to be set in NY.

Part of the fun in going to the movies is being able to experience something you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Now, I'm in Boston, and I enjoy catching the occasional movie and go, "I know where that is!" But I've always thought it must be boring to go see a movie in Manhanttan or somewhere in NY, and for the 100th time while watching the movie, think, "Oh...yeah...I've been there. Great."

Anyone from NY here? Does it get annoying, or do you actually like it? Or do you not care?
Old 07-12-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I constantly get a kick out of the ones that are actually filmed here. Just saw The Devil Wears Prada, for example, and enjoyed seeing the various parts of the city and trying to figure out exactly where they are.
Old 07-12-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a feeling, though someone could correct me, that most new yorkers don't give a shit if a film is shot in ny. In fact, I bet some can't stand the traffic problems it causes when there is shooting going on.

I know people in Chicago take pride in films that were shot here, but we have that Second city syndrome.
Old 07-12-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've only had a few movies filmed in upstate so it's very much a novelty. Planes Trains and Autos was filmed in Batavia, halfway between Buffalo and Rochester, and The Natural was filmed in Buffalo. I thought it was cool spotting the landscape I recognized. A few people we knew were extras in The Natural but I never did see them onscreen.

John Mellencamp filmed an Indie here in Rochester but the name escapes me right now. Philip Seymore Hoffman is a Rochester boy and I think he did some local independent stuff here too.
Old 07-12-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate the stereotypes. Like the fat italian cab drivers, this was discussed in previous threads. And all of the business suits walking around, and the ghetto white kid who looks like a pretty boy, who really looks he belongs in a boy band.
Old 07-12-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes we do.
Old 07-13-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JimRochester
We've only had a few movies filmed in upstate so it's very much a novelty. Planes Trains and Autos was filmed in Batavia, halfway between Buffalo and Rochester, and The Natural was filmed in Buffalo. I thought it was cool spotting the landscape I recognized. A few people we knew were extras in The Natural but I never did see them onscreen.

John Mellencamp filmed an Indie here in Rochester but the name escapes me right now. Philip Seymore Hoffman is a Rochester boy and I think he did some local independent stuff here too.

Don't be silly.. Everyone knows upstate NY doesn't really count when talking about New Yorkers
Old 07-13-06, 11:55 AM
Banned

Hell no.

It's one more that I get a chance to be in
Old 07-13-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts
My pet peeve used to be when they'd film in Hawaii and change the street names to fictional ones.
Old 07-13-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Don't be silly.. Everyone knows upstate NY doesn't really count when talking about New Yorkers
[political statement] Apparently my Senators agree with you. Our good friend Hillary promised 10,000 new jobs yet again and we're still in decline. I guess she didn't actually promise when so she hasn't broken a promise yet. [end of political statement]
Old 07-13-06, 02:41 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Love it.