Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the worst Deus Ex Machina in film in your opinion?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's the worst Deus Ex Machina in film in your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filmmaker, when there's a common complaint among just about everyone regarding one scene being confusing and out of left field in a movie, there are two possibilities. Either the audience is stupid, or the scene wasn't handled as well as it should have been.

I take it you think the audience is stupid. I tend to think the scene was just handled poorly and relied too much on knowledge of the comics to establish the power. Superman being able to fly and being amazingly strong was, and is, common knowledge regarding the character, so those did not come out of nowhere for viewers (the film did not exist in a vacuum), but his ability to reverse time was not a power general audiences were aware he had (even if comic fans knew), and thus should have been built up a bit more, especially since it wound up being the climax of the film.

In short, the movie assumed too much knowledge of the character from the audience, and used one of his more obscure powers as the central element of the climax without explaining it for those who were most likely out of the loop and only knew Superman as "the guy in blue who's strong and can fly."
Old 07-10-06, 08:07 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tasha99
Filmmaker,

Since Superman has great physical powers, the sudden ability to fly so quickly that time is reversed may not be a true deus ex machina. However, I didn't like it because like many people, I think resets are inherently unsatisfying. If you are a writer as well as a filmmaker, you should understand that.
Now this an argument I can get behind, because that's where you are superceding your peers' arguments: they are stillt trying to argue that it's a deux ex machina, and that is the argument I am fighting; if you find it weak not because its an alleged DEM, but simply a weaker scriptwriting crutch than any of the other super powers Superman displays, designed solely to get the writer out of a fix, then I have no beef with that (though even then I don't entirely agree with you, since I feel the meat of that moment from a writing standpoint is not the "easy reset" but the depths of emotions the scene wrenches from our hero, and the "crime of passion" it causes him to make).
Old 07-10-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I can accept (not really, but whatever) that Superman could fly fast enough to go back in time. The problem with the explanation that the Earth only looks like it's spinning backwards because Superman is traveling back through time is that when Superman slows down, the Earth continues to spin backwards. Not until Superman flies the other direction around the planet a few times does it begins to spin forward again. That doesn't make sense, because as soon as he slowed down below 'time-travel velocity' (light speed?) the Earth should have appeared to be spinning forward (slowly at first, then spinning forward faster as Superman slows down more), because time should be moving forward for Superman once more. There would be no need to fly forward around the Earth to make time go forward again.
Quoted for truth.
Old 07-10-06, 08:27 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Yes, of course we are meant to understand that Superman has reversed time. The argument is HOW did he reverse time. The only explanation that really holds up based on the movie's presentation is that he reversed time by making the Earth spin backwards. That's what makes it stupid.
I've already explained that the pseudo-science behind it is IDENTICAL to what is shown in STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME, substituting Superman for a Klingon Bird of Prey and the Earth's gravity for the Sun's, yet no one gripes about the latter. Why?

I can accept (not really, but whatever) that Superman could fly fast enough to go back in time. The problem with the explanation that the Earth only looks like it's spinning backwards because Superman is traveling back through time is that when Superman slows down, the Earth continues to spin backwards. Not until Superman flies the other direction around the planet a few times does it begins to spin forward again. That doesn't make sense, because as soon as he slowed down below 'time-travel velocity' (light speed?) the Earth should have appeared to be spinning forward (slowly at first, then spinning forward faster as Superman slows down more), because time should be moving forward for Superman once more. There would be no need to fly forward around the Earth to make time go forward again.
(Potentially) Wrong. When he was reversing, he was opening a time portal; that time portal conceivably could continue to exist once created, without a need for Superman to continue generating it; then, when it was time to "kick start" the time line into its proper direction and speed, he jumped back into "time portal opening" mode, negating the original time portal by opening this second one. When the timeline was properly restored to normal condition, he just dropped back into it and voila!
Old 07-10-06, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sethsez
Filmmaker, when there's a common complaint among just about everyone regarding one scene being confusing and out of left field in a movie, there are two possibilities. Either the audience is stupid, or the scene wasn't handled as well as it should have been.

I take it you think the audience is stupid. I tend to think the scene was just handled poorly and relied too much on knowledge of the comics to establish the power. Superman being able to fly and being amazingly strong was, and is, common knowledge regarding the character, so those did not come out of nowhere for viewers (the film did not exist in a vacuum), but his ability to reverse time was not a power general audiences were aware he had (even if comic fans knew), and thus should have been built up a bit more, especially since it wound up being the climax of the film.

In short, the movie assumed too much knowledge of the character from the audience, and used one of his more obscure powers as the central element of the climax without explaining it for those who were most likely out of the loop and only knew Superman as "the guy in blue who's strong and can fly."
One of the stronger arguments made yet, so I respect your take on things. I would question your desire to place the onus on explaining things down to the lowest common denominator on the filmmakers, who may very well have been designing their film primarily for fans of the comic, however. So the arguments breaks down thusly; if the argument is that the time travel power, unlike all the others, came out-of-left-field for a film that "doesn't live in a vacuum" and that's why it is decried, I can respectfully disagree (mainly because I feel for the film to have the weight it has, it had to be designed "from the ground up", choosing what it wanted to keep, alter and drop from the comic book history of the character). If the argument is that it is unclear what is actually happening on screen, though, then I disrespectfully disagree.
Old 07-10-06, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I've already explained that the pseudo-science behind it is IDENTICAL to what is shown in STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME, substituting Superman for a Klingon Bird of Prey and the Earth's gravity for the Sun's, yet no one gripes about the latter. Why?
Because time travel is long established in the Star Trek series, and pointless technobabble is a central part of what makes the series so endearing to some people in the first place. It fits entirely in with what both fans and the general populace expected. Superman's time traveling ability was known by comic fans, but not by the general populace, and the movie didn't do a very good job of setting up that ability.

Context matters, and Star Trek had more context for it than the Superman movie did. Likewise, I can accept Anakin Skywalker being able to push things without touching them through his command of the force, but it'd be a bit out of place seeing Billy Crystal do it in When Harry Met Sally. Obviously a ridiculous comparison, but my point is that people expect Star Trek to pull technological bullshit out of its ass, but by the same token they expect Superman to have clearly defined powers and limits, so if the filmmakers were going to introduce a new one (or, as the case was, bring up an obscure one), a bit more effort should have been made to define and emphasize its existence before making it the central part of the climax.

(Potentially) Wrong. When he was reversing, he was opening a time portal; that time portal conceivably could continue to exist once created, without a need for Superman to continue generating it; then, when it was time to "kick start" the time line into its proper direction and speed, he jumped back into "time portal opening" mode, negating the original time portal by opening this second one. When the timeline was properly restored to normal condition, he just dropped back into it and voila!
This wasn't portrayed as clearly as it could have, and should have, been. We knew time travel was taking place, but what exactly was going on was pretty vague. I'm not entirely sure where the blame for this goes (the script, the direction, the effects or the editing), but time travel is typcially something audiences can deal with without confusion, and that should have been the case here as well.

Last edited by sethsez; 07-10-06 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-10-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Iggystar, exhausted with the endless debate of the ending of Superman: The Movie in the Deus Ex Machina thread, throws a mind numbing, psychic explosion wiping the memories of DVD Talkers so they will stop the madness and move on.

Worst..Deus Ex Machina..ever.
Old 07-10-06, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iggystar
Iggystar, exhausted with the endless debate of the ending of Superman: The Movie in the Deus Ex Machina thread, throws a mind numbing, psychic explosion wiping the memories of DVD Talkers so they will stop the madness and move on.

Worst..Deus Ex Machina..ever.
You've got my vote...moving on...
Old 07-10-06, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by kcbrett5
The whole LOTR trilogy is full of them but the worst one is when the magic ghost army comes riding in to save the town, instantly killing every bad guy on the field. Very lame.

War of the worlds just pissed me off.

I don't think that's Deus Ex Machina at all.

The Dead Men owed allegiance to the King of Gondor. When Aragorn commanded them and freed them, he was able to prove he was Isildur's Heir. They didn't just appear out of nowhere, as Isildur's Heir was the only one to have been able to comand them.

The Gandalf coming back thing was by far and wide the worst DEM in LOTR, IMO.
Old 07-10-06, 05:43 PM

Well if he can fly so fast that he reverses time, why couldn't he just fly fast enough to stop both missiles in the first place? Because then you wouldn't have the emotional scene of him crying over Lois' death. That's why I think it qualifies here. It was a lazy plot device added so that he could show emotions for Lois.
He could use time travel ALL the time to stop crime and tragedy BEFORE any of it happens. All he needs to do is sit back watch the news, then go back in time and prevent whatever it was that happened. It would be boring.
Old 07-11-06, 07:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

*shakes head*

Baffling to be sure...your comments, that is.

Are

you

f-in'

kidding

me???

Really, let's just break this down to brass tacks. I'm not trying to be confrontational and I know I have a way of getting some people's panties in a bunch (including a few choice moderators), but I just have to call 'em like I see 'em--this is flat-out not rocket science or brain surgery. Do yourself a favor; put in a DVD with the Universal logo; play it forward, then hit reverse. What are you seeing on your timer counter? The seconds are counting back down to zero, right?, indicating a reverse in the direction of time flow. What are you seeing on your screen? The globe is spinning in, gasp!, the opposite direction it was when it going correctly forward in time, right? Bam! End of story. Dear God, what is so "baffling" and "senseless" about this??? And Richard Donner even went one better for those of you so challenged by this particular visual; he combined it with earth-bound shots of activities we'd just witnessed reversing themselves. Now if, even in spite of all these blatant, grossly obvious visual clues escaped your childhood comprehension, I guess I can let that slide, but are you really going to tell me as a grown-up man that it still confounds you??? If so, then wow, man...that's just...wow.

Filmmaker, you have every right to your opinion on the topic. But, that's no excuse for being rude and insulting to those who hold different opinions. In the future, please learn to make your point with out denigrating others.
Old 07-11-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First, the writers attempted to establish that Superman had the ability to time travel throughout the movie. Jor-El's statements to him that time travel is forbidden implies that he has the power to do it. However, its a weak set-up and not established strongly.

Secondly, spinning the Universal logo going backward doesn't prove diddly squat about a visual that shows Superman going flying really fast, making the Earth stop spinning on its axis and then reversing time because of it (and then having to go forward to "start the Earth spinning again"

Finally, even the timeline of earthbound visuals don't make sense. It shows the river going back from behind the dam - but in the new timeline, it clearly establishes that Jimmy Olsen was taken by Superman and dropped off in a valley. Guess where Jimmy Olsen was when Superman rescued him? He was on the dam!! So did he need to be rescued again? Perhaps, but why wasn't Lois car just re-engulfed then?

So did Jimmy Olsen need to be rescued from a dam that wasn't blowing up?

I accept it for what it is, a comic book movie that takes liberties with the whole idea of time travel, etc. I love the movie, its still my favorite my comic book movie (and will remain that way) but the time travel visual and storyline never made sense for me, even as a kid.
Old 07-11-06, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by daniel18
I don't think that's Deus Ex Machina at all.

The Dead Men owed allegiance to the King of Gondor. When Aragorn commanded them and freed them, he was able to prove he was Isildur's Heir. They didn't just appear out of nowhere, as Isildur's Heir was the only one to have been able to comand them.
Well you are wrong. And wow, somebody has watched that movie wayyyy too many times.

All I know is that the good guys had lost and there was only 3 more people outside the walls who could help fight an entire army. But at the last second those 3 show up with an invincible ghost army.
Old 07-11-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen the movie in a while, but why didn't he just hang on to that "invincible ghost army" to help deal with everything up to the very end? Was there a reason given for that? Since they did that one deed for him did that mean that they were then free to "pass on"?
Old 07-11-06, 02:12 PM

There was a big scene setting up the ghost army long before it showed up, and it implied that they'd be used to fight a massive battle. They showed up at a lucky time, yes, but it didn't come out of nowhere.

The birds rescuing Frodo and Sam at the end, on the other hand...
Old 07-11-06, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dead
Filmmaker, you have every right to your opinion on the topic. But, that's no excuse for being rude and insulting to those who hold different opinions. In the future, please learn to make your point with out denigrating others.
Well, I did mention my style usually isn't a moderator-preferred one, but some risks ya just gotta take. I can't promise I'll take the advice, but I've noted it, and will accept future consequences if I don't take it...
Old 07-11-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Well you are wrong. And wow, somebody has watched that movie wayyyy too many times.
Or read the books a time or two....
Old 07-11-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
How about Excalibur .

Spoiler:
Arthur is getting his butt kicked by Mordred's army when an aged, overweight Lancelot, who hasn't been seen for years, pops up out of nowhere and starts whoopin' ass on Mordred's guys saving Arthur
Old 07-11-06, 05:39 PM
Cool New Member

In both Tears of the Sun and We Were Soldiers, when things can't get worse, Gunships come in and blow away the bad guys at the last minute.
How do you consider the gunships' arrival in We Were Soldiers Deus Ex Machina, considering this was based off true events? The Gunships were already on their way and arrived in the nick of time. They did not show up randomly.
Old 07-11-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
Originally Posted by Aetherus
How do you consider the gunships' arrival in We Were Soldiers Deus Ex Machina, considering this was based off true events? The Gunships were already on their way and arrived in the nick of time. They did not show up randomly.
It's been years since I've seen We Were Soldiers so I don't know, but was there any mention that the gunships were on their way anytime during the film? If not, regardless if it was true events, it could still be condsidered a DEM in the movie.
Old 07-11-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It's been years since I've seen We Were Soldiers so I don't know, but was there any mention that the gunships were on their way anytime during the film? If not, regardless if it was true events, it could still be condsidered a DEM in the movie.
I don't think this qualifies. Gunships obliterating an enemy force--last second or not--isn't unusual or unexpected. Plus, the location of the soldiers wasn't a mystery, so the arrival of gunships makes sense considering the circumstances.
Old 07-11-06, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chanster
First, the writers attempted to establish that Superman had the ability to time travel throughout the movie. Jor-El's statements to him that time travel is forbidden implies that he has the power to do it. However, its a weak set-up and not established strongly.

Secondly, spinning the Universal logo going backward doesn't prove diddly squat about a visual that shows Superman going flying really fast, making the Earth stop spinning on its axis and then reversing time because of it (and then having to go forward to "start the Earth spinning again"

Finally, blah blah blah-dee friggin' da.
I made iggystar's day by promising to move on...won't you join us?