Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Superman Returns'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Superman Returns at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22435 and...I just want to thank Brian Orndorf for nailing all the points of what made this a great movie. All I keep reading online is people who are nitpicking this movie for the littlest things. This movie was one hell of a ride. The emotional depths that this movie reaches, especially in the final bedroom scene, are incredible.It's funny how Roger Ebert gives this movie 2 stars and gives Garfield part 2 3 STARS!!! Superman Returns is easily the best film of the summer, with Clerks 2 coming in at a close second. Again, great review and rock on.
Old 06-28-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
This is one of the first movies he has reviewed that everyone agrees with him on it. I agree though, he nailed it this time around.
Old 06-28-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Why does everyone blow a nut over whatever Roger Ebert thinks? He's just one guy giving his opinion, not the alpha and omega of what's quality in movies today.

And have you seen Clerks 2 yet or are you just prophesizing?
Old 06-29-06, 10:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Speaking of Clerks 2 ... Did you see that picture of Rosario Dawson's mom in the newspaper? If Rosario grows old like that .... OOCH!

Rosario does have nice cans though.

Looking forward to Superman! Hopefully seeing it this weekend.
Old 06-29-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Why does everyone blow a nut over whatever Roger Ebert thinks?
I can only speak for myself, but for me it's the disturbing drop in quality of Ebert's opinions. I don't know if it's because he's getting older, or his recent and ongoing illness, the loss of Gene Siskel to keep him on his toes or what. But I used to agree with Ebert the majority of the time, and even when I didn't he always made good points that I could respect. But these days, he genuinely seems to be out of his fucking mind.
Old 06-29-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Emotional depths? Peh.

Chalk up one who gets what Ebert's talking about. It wasn't a terrible movie, but the fanboys need to get over themselves because there wasn't really much interesting going on onscreen. Oh, and the kid thing...BEYOND stupid.
Old 06-29-06, 11:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ebert didn't say the kid was beyond stupid. He just wished the tone were happier. Honestly, if this film had been slightly brighter and less melancholy, Ebert probably would have given it 4 stars and praised it to high heaven.
Old 06-30-06, 12:03 AM
Banned

I'm with Ebert as well. The plot was ridiculous.
Spoiler:
Looking to flood the city so he can "own" it all, knock off Superman, in turn making his sedimentary Atlantis uninhabitable, even for himself?

As I said in the other thread, the casting was fantastic on the surface, but these characters were so montone and lacking in charisma and chemistry, I didn't feel anything for anyone, even with the heavy-handed (and all too obvious via the camera panning to the kid every 5 seconds) baby daddy drama. It had potential, IMO.

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 06-30-06 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 12:13 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
I'm with Ebert as well. The plot was ridiculous.
Spoiler:
Looking to flood the city so he can "own" it all, knock off Superman, in turn making his sedimentary Atlantis uninhabitable, even for himself?
Spoiler:
The Kryptonite would affect Superman, not normal humans. I don't know why you think adding Kryptonite would make it uninhabitable for humans. I mean, does it look inviting? No. But that's within the first 30 minutes of it being formed.
Old 06-30-06, 12:17 AM
Banned

Actually, the filmmakers make movies for the general paying audiences to enjoy, not for the critics. Movie critics are not required to pay an admission to see the movies they review, which has no effective monetary contributions for the success, or failure of movies at the box office.
Old 06-30-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
But the marketing folks for movies love to use the "Two Thumbs Up!" vote in their print ads, which means they hope to profit from E&R's good reviews for use in the marketing of their films.
Old 06-30-06, 12:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ebert didn't say the kid was beyond stupid. He just wished the tone were happier. Honestly, if this film had been slightly brighter and less melancholy, Ebert probably would have given it 4 stars and praised it to high heaven.
All film critic reviews are based upon their own personal opinions, and should only be perceived as such. Everyone has different taste of movies they like, or dislike, it depends on each, and every individual.
Old 06-30-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
The Kryptonite would affect Superman, not normal humans. I don't know why you think adding Kryptonite would make it uninhabitable for humans. I mean, does it look inviting? No. But that's within the first 30 minutes of it being formed.
Forgive me for going fanboy, but...

Spoiler:
in the comics, Luthor used to wear a kryptonite ring at all times, and found out the hard way that prolonged exposure to Kryptonite is certainly harmful to humans. It *is* radioactive, after all.

As for the movie itself... I enjoyed it. I am, however, bewildered by people that absolutely tore X3 to shreds for not following X-Men continuity, but they're praising Superman Returns... which is about as far as you can get from Superman comic continuity without filming that piece of junk script that JJ Abrams wrote.
Old 06-30-06, 12:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Patman
But the marketing folks for movies love to use the "Two Thumbs Up!" vote in their print ads, which means they hope to profit from E&R's good reviews for use in the marketing of their films.
Not neccessarily! Because if someone want to see a particular movie, they are going to do so, whether the film received Two Thumbs Ups from Ebert & Roper or not.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 06-30-06 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 12:45 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Forgive me for going fanboy, but...

Spoiler:
in the comics, Luthor used to wear a kryptonite ring at all times, and found out the hard way that prolonged exposure to Kryptonite is certainly harmful to humans. It *is* radioactive, after all.

As for the movie itself... I enjoyed it. I am, however, bewildered by people that absolutely tore X3 to shreds for not following X-Men continuity, but they're praising Superman Returns... which is about as far as you can get from Superman comic continuity without filming that piece of junk script that JJ Abrams wrote.
At least Superman was true to the previous films, something that X3 cannot claim.

To be honest, I haven't read many of the Superman comics. Just the death/rebirth stuff. I was always a Marvel reader (along with some Batman and alternative comics).
Old 06-30-06, 12:53 AM
Banned

Spoiler:
I didn't even mean the Kryptonite, so much as I did that
Spoiler:
there's no sustenance, much less electricity, on Lex's little rock island, which is all that would be left, had he wiped out Metropolis.
I mean, was that honestly what Superman was brought out of the super hero retirement home for? To
Spoiler:
find out he had a kid,
which was obvious to us all
Spoiler:
from the first puff from the inhaler
,to stop Lex Luthor from becoming an Evil Real Estate agent, and occasionally pop up on screen in the breaks of this soap opera to lift something heavy and speak no dialogue?

Give me a break.
Old 06-30-06, 01:10 AM
Banned by request

Considering that the idea of Superman is inherently absurd, I see no problem with this.
Old 06-30-06, 01:18 AM
Banned

That's the thing, though. You can leave your brain at the door, and still have your intelligence insulted by this movie because some things are so outlandish and non-sensical. Apparently Singer thought it was all or nothing as far as outrageous plot devices and storylines go, thinking we'd "accept" anything that was hurled at us. The least they could have done would have been to toss a little chemistry in the mix to make up for the lack of one GRAIN of credibility.