DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   DLP/Digital Projection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/470158-dlp-digital-projection.html)

Julie Walker 06-28-06 04:04 AM

DLP/Digital Projection?

I'm thinking of seeing Superman Returns tomorrow night after work if I can make it. And it's being projected in DLP only on the theaters super large screen.

Has anyone ever attended a theater showing a film in DLP? How is the quality? Good,bad? Is the audio quality decent as well?

I don't want to waste my money on an overpriced ticket if there is the slightest problem with this format. That includes color reproduction(i've heard conflicting reports of blacks being turned brown and grey and so forth) and audio quality.

Supermallet 06-28-06 04:11 AM

I've only seen the last two Star Wars films in DLP, and since they were shot on HD, they looked great!

raven56706 06-28-06 06:56 AM

you need to see it in DLP screen.... the colors are awesome

TomOpus 06-28-06 06:59 AM

I'm hoping to catch Superman Returns in a DLP theater for the 2nd viewing.

Episode III did indeed look great on DLP.

Recently I saw Cars in both film and DLP. The DLP won hands down. I noticed the sound, especially the surrounds, were a lot better... but that might've been the venue.

Michael Ballack 06-28-06 07:50 AM

Episode 3 and The Incredibles did look great on DLP, but they were pure digital films in the first place. Was Superman shot in hd or on film? I wonder how film transfered to digital for DLP looks.

raven56706 06-28-06 08:32 AM

terminator 3 wasnt shot in digital and it looked much better then the regular... (mind you i saw both :( )

mdc3000 06-28-06 08:34 AM

Go see Superman in DLP, I thought the film print was kind of soft, but I'm assuming the DLP version will be much more "crisp" since the film was shot HD.

MATT

Fincher Fan 06-28-06 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Was Superman shot in hd or on film?

Digital.

Michael Ballack 06-28-06 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Digital.

hmmm, now you guys got me wanting to see it on the dlp screen near me. That ruins my arrangements for a 200 Superman and a 510 X3 :hairpull:

Edit: I guess I'll go with the usual arrangments since I can't see Superman and X3 back to back if I go to the theater with a dlp screen. If I like Superman enough, I'll see how it looks on the dlp next week.

raven56706 06-28-06 11:09 AM

hmmm, now you guys got me wanting to see it on the dlp screen near me. That ruins my arrangements for a 200 Superman and a 510 X3 :hairpull:

Edit: I guess I'll go with the usual arrangments since I can't see Superman and X3 back to back if I go to the theater with a dlp screen. If I like Superman enough, I'll see how it looks on the dlp next week.

i can bet you if you saw it in dlp first... you will want to see it in dlp again

i have a nice stadium seating theater by my house...2 minutes away... but instead i am going 20 minutes away to see Superman in DLP... thats how good DLP is

Giles 06-28-06 11:16 AM

so I'm assuming since the film was shot in HiDef in the first place, the conversion to IMAX resolution should even look more spectacular.

Originally Posted by TomOpus

Episode III did indeed look great on DLP.

the DLP is saw of Episode III didn't impress me - I thought the 35mm print I saw, after I had seen the DLP version looked more colourful. It might have been since the venue (Natinal Amusement's Lee Highway Multiplex) is a crappy auditorium - the surround sound was very lacking.

sauce07 06-28-06 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
so I'm assuming since the film was shot in HiDef in the first place, the conversion to IMAX resolution should even look more spectacular.

the DLP is saw of Episode III didn't impress me - I thought the 35mm print I saw, after I had seen the DLP version looked more colourful. It might have been since the venue (Natinal Amusement's Lee Highway Multiplex) is a crappy auditorium - the surround sound was very lacking.

What a ghetto theater. I remember seeing Episode II in digital at this theater, it looked okay but it doesn't make up for the uncomfortable seats, sticky floors and beat up screen.

I'll be going to the IMAX presentation out at Dulles when i get home in a few weeks. Can't wait, i'm willing to spend $10 on parking and another $12 for a ticket to see this in 3-D

Giles 06-28-06 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07
What a ghetto theater. I remember seeing Episode II in digital at this theater, it looked okay but it doesn't make up for the uncomfortable seats, sticky floors and beat up screen.

I'll be going to the IMAX presentation out at Dulles when i get home in a few weeks. Can't wait, i'm willing to spend $10 on parking and another $12 for a ticket to see this in 3-D

sorry to burst your bubble but the Uvard-Hazy IMAX presentation is not in 3D - the Air and Space did not equip this theatre to playback 3D - there are tentative plans to book Superman Returns at the downtown Air & Space later in the summer, that is able to playback IMAX 3D - I'm waiting to see the movie there as well as out at Dulles. If and when you do go to the Dulles location go to the 6pm and 8:45 showings the parking are far as I understand is free after 4pm.

The DLP showings for Superman Returns in the DC metropolitan area are at AMC Georgetown, Muvico, and at National Amusement's Lee Highway Merrifield location.

as far as the Lee Highway theaters - they quite frankly suck, the seats are not only uncomfortable, but are very squeaky and audible... as to why National Amusement's didn't equip one of their auditoriums at the much more luxiourous Cinema De Lux is beyond me... oh well.

my fingers are crossed that the second DLP equipped screen at Muvico is going to show Pirates of the Carribean 2 in DLP.

Supermallet 06-28-06 01:43 PM

Superman was shot in HD? Hmmm...I did not know that. I don't think there's a DLP equipped theater near me.

Has anyone seen the film version and the DLP version? The film version was way too soft, but I presumed that was an intentional choice to make the CGI look more seamless. Is the DLP that much sharper? If so, that would eliminate one of my major gripes with the film.

TylerDurden_73 06-28-06 02:49 PM

I just got back from seeing the dlp version. When supes goes over the clouds, The picture was almost as if you were looking at the sun itself with all the colors,hues, etc..

Steve Phillips 06-28-06 03:21 PM

Luckily in my area we get most of the new releases in DLP versions now. I always seek out those screenings because they blow away the 35mm versions in my experience. The most recent ones I've seen in DLP are POSEIDON and MISSION IMPOSSSIBLE III. I'm especially interested to see MONSTER HOUSE in the Polarized 3-D DLP version next month as CHICKEN LITTLE was pretty cool in the 3-D DLP version; it made the movie.

SUPERMAN is playing in DLP here too, but I'm going to the IMAX/3-D version this weekend first.

maingon 06-28-06 04:57 PM

DLP is awesome, worth it, our digital theater has a intro which kicks ass look amazing. The sound system seems to be better too

Alan Smithee 06-28-06 06:32 PM

I've only seen one movie in DLP, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but it looked awful- it was like watching a movie through a screen door.

mdc3000 06-28-06 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Superman was shot in HD? Hmmm...I did not know that. I don't think there's a DLP equipped theater near me.

Has anyone seen the film version and the DLP version? The film version was way too soft, but I presumed that was an intentional choice to make the CGI look more seamless. Is the DLP that much sharper? If so, that would eliminate one of my major gripes with the film.

Well, I saw the 35mm and the Imax print, and for the most part the IMAX version was much more colourful and sharper, which was a complaint I had with the film version, so I'd imagine the DLP version is similar to IMAX.

MATT

Supermallet 06-28-06 07:35 PM

I'll have to catch the IMAX, then. Hopefully the DVD/HD-DVD/BD will look sharper than the film print I saw.

Giles 06-28-06 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Luckily in my area we get most of the new releases in DLP versions now. I always seek out those screenings because they blow away the 35mm versions in my experience. The most recent ones I've seen in DLP are POSEIDON and MISSION IMPOSSSIBLE III. I'm especially interested to see MONSTER HOUSE in the Polarized 3-D DLP version next month as CHICKEN LITTLE was pretty cool in the 3-D DLP version; it made the movie.

SUPERMAN is playing in DLP here too, but I'm going to the IMAX/3-D version this weekend first.

I didn't see POSEIDON in DLP but seeing this in 35mm in it's first weekend of release, the print that AMC (Tyson's Corner) projected was hideous to say the least - it was exceedingly grainy. I would assume the DLP presentation was not.

Michael Ballack 06-28-06 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I've only seen one movie in DLP, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but it looked awful- it was like watching a movie through a screen door.

It really depends where you live and what kind of dlp projector they have. I had the same screen door effect for episode 2, but for episode 3 the theater near me had that new 3k or 4k Kodak(at least I think that's what it was) projector that showed that film is dead and dlp is the future.

By the way, I saw Superman Returns today in a theater that used to be an IMax screen but was converted to what the theater owners call "Super Screen"(nothing to do with Superman :) ) It's bullshit calling it a "Super Screen' though, it's more like what screens used to be before the 20 theater multi plexes took over everywhere. It was film, but it looked good to me, though kind of soft like many have already said.

Julie Walker 06-28-06 10:31 PM

Well I had to skip the film tonight since I didn't get out of work until 20 minutes before the film started. Which would give me no time to get home,change and head to the theater.

So I may see it tomorrow and figure out which showing is on the large screen,since it's playing on numerous screens of course.

Giles 06-28-06 11:31 PM

It really depends where you live and what kind of dlp projector they have. I had the same screen door effect for episode 2, but for episode 3 the theater near me had that new 3k or 4k Kodak(at least I think that's what it was) projector that showed that film is dead and dlp is the future.

By the way, I saw Superman Returns today in a theater that used to be an IMax screen but was converted to what the theater owners call "Super Screen"(nothing to do with Superman :) ) It's bullshit calling it a "Super Screen' though, it's more like what screens used to be before the 20 theater multi plexes took over everywhere. It was film, but it looked good to me, though kind of soft like many have already said.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only 4K system is from Sony that is pretty much featured only at LA's Arclight theatre.

Michael Ballack 06-29-06 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only 4K system is from Sony that is pretty much featured only at LA's Arclight theatre.

Maybe I was wrong, I just know the Kodak projector at the time was one of the best movie theater dlp projector's out when Episode 3 was released.