Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

America: Freedom to Fascism

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This movie opens (July 28th)and I was wondering if anyone has any interests in seeing the movie. I did a search and didn't find anything about it posted here. The movie political in nature but I didn't want to post this in the politics forum since it is an actual movie.

At first I thought "Conspiracy Theory Movie" but after doing some more research on the subject matter this looks like it can be really enlightening if the content is true.

Here is the trailer

Interview with Aaron Russo

Last edited by jessecrx; 06-27-06 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was trying to think of something witty involving the terms documentary, objective balanced news reporting, and Edward Murrow but nothing is coming to mind.
Old 06-27-06, 10:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Cool. Somebody adopted the Unibomber's Manifesto into a film.
Old 06-27-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Count me in. I'm sure it will be summarily dismissed by many on this board, but it seems like it's worth a look.

Cannes Premiere Gets Standing Ovation
Aaron Russo’s AMERICA: FREEDOM TO FASCISM

To Open Across America July 28

CANNES, FRANCE – Aaron Russo’s incendiary political documentary which exposes many of the governmental organizations and entities that have abridged the freedoms of U.S. citizens had its international premiere at Cannes and won a standing ovation. The event, which was held on the beach and filled to capacity, was open to the public and drew a crowd of people who stood along the boardwalk to watch the film.

Through interviews with U.S. Congressmen, as well the former IRS Commissioner, former IRS and FBI agents, tax attorneys and authors, Russo proves conclusively that there is no law requiring citizens to pay a direct tax on their labor. His film connects the dots between money creation, federal income tax, voter fraud, the national identity card (which becomes law in May 2008) and the implementation of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to track citizens. Neither left nor right-wing in perspective, the film concludes that the U.S. government is taking on the characteristics of a police state. Doc will open on multiple screens in cities across the U.S. beginning July 28.

The international audience at Cannes as well as the European media has been fascinated by Russo’s fiery diatribe against the direction America is heading. The discussion that followed the preview lasted for thirty minutes. Actor Nick Nolte, in Cannes for the premiere of “Over The Hedge,” joined Russo during the event. “The information in this film is something everybody has to know”, said Nolte, who was the lead actor in “Teachers,” a film produced by Russo.

Russo, who is best known as the producer of feature films including “The Rose” with Bette Midler and “Trading Places” with Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd, wrote, produced, and directed the doc. “I am disgusted by the direction America was heading,” says Russo. “I made this movie because I want to live in a free country and I want my kids and grandkids to live in a free country. The American people must abandon the myth that America is still the land of liberty that it once was.”

Russo’s doc already has a tremendous grass root groundswell behind it. The film has previewed in over twenty-five cities with sold out theatres and standing ovations. The website, www.freedomtofascism.com has been had over five hundred thousand (500,000) streams of the video trailer. Additionally, through the website and from grassroots screenings, over $100,000 in non-deductible donations has been collected to help with the theatrical release.

ABOUT THE DISTRIBUTION COMPANY:

Cinema Libre Studio, a full-service mini-studio that offers production, co-production, distribution (theatrical and home entertainment), foreign sales, marketing and post-production services, is best known for producing and distributing provocative independent titles in that include "Outfoxed," "Uncovered: The War On Iraq," Tim Robbins' "Embedded Live" and currently in U.S. theatres, "Giuliani Time," For more information visit www.cinemalibrestudio.com .
Old 06-27-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great trailer. Obviously a conspiracy theorist's wet dream but I will certainly check it out.
One wonders if they will pass out tin foil hats at the theater as a promotion.
Old 06-28-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
One wonders if they will pass out tin foil hats at the theater as a promotion.
Considering everyone involved in the production is dead serious about it...I doubt it. They don't make tongue-in-cheek documentaries.
Old 06-28-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To quote a post I saw here a few days ago: does anyone have a rolleyes gif that's about ten feet in diameter?
Old 06-28-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am sorry but I fail to see where this movie is insulting or funny to some of you making sarcastic posts.

This movie isn't about Democrats VS Republicans, Conservatives VS Liberals etc.

One thing that I must give credit to the makers of these controversial movies is the fact that they do make valid points.

In a forum full of both film snobs and casual movie lovers I never would have imagined to see so much sarcastic bashing before a movie is even released. It's kinda funny
Old 06-28-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Cannes Premiere Gets Standing Ovation
Honestly, is this surprising?
Old 06-29-06, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When a movie starts out by saying the Income Tax on labor (in particular) is illegal, something the SCOTUS has shot down repeatedly, then I feel safe in saying it's a kook film. The SC has ruled a uniform federal tax on income derived from property to be unconstitutional (Pollack, 1895), but that was because it was considered a direct tax (ownership tax) which the Constitution requires to be apportioned among the states based on population. Income on labor is considered an indirect tax (excise tax) and per the Constitution it is required to be applied uniformly to the states.

That's is why the 16th amendment says Congress can tax income "from whatever source derived, without apportionment ... regardless of census or enumeration". It wasn't intended to give Congress the power to tax income, they have always had that power, it was written to negate Pollack and allow all types of income to be federally taxed without running afoul the Constitution.

After the 16th passed several SC rulings stated that the 16th does not impart the power to tax income on Congress....since they had it all along. And some kooks like to clip the end part off and claim the SC declared income tax illegal.
Old 06-29-06, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's some funny stuff on the IMDB boards for this film, like this after someone posted "It's absurd to question the constitutionality of the income tax. It's stipulated in an amendment to the constitution. By definition, that makes it constitutional. ":

...you should read betwwen the lines with how the constitution is worded. It's basically saying the state (the U.S. is not a country, but a corporation) can tax companies.

Since it's saying only companies can be taxed and people are not companies, the SSN# was given to the population to get around that. You "physically' are not being taxed, it's your SSN# (a imposed company entity SEPARATE from you) that is.

In other words that number makes you a company in their eyes. You're taxed for the labour that you produce under that number.

I went over this in another thread with:

The point of the film is that the constitution says otherwise. So they went around that by applying the SSN# on the population. You as a "person" under the constitution can't be taxed. The SNN# is a seperate entity from yourself.. It's not you physically that the tax applies to, it's applied to your "number" (SSN#- which makes you a company) They got us by the balls because you can't function or exist without it. How perfect for them. The tax applies to your company providing the labor (your SSN#) and not you as a person.

Capiche?

Look at your SSN as a company number SEPERATE from yourself and you'll see the truth.
"It's absurd to question the constitutionality of the income tax."

Really, It's absurd to question the government? I see, so American politicians, simply by the basis of birth and geography are immune to all the human failings to which all other government have succumbed throughout history? Whew, I feel much better knowing that nothing the U.S. government does can be wrong, illegal, immoral, or unconstitutional.

"By definition, that makes it constitutional."

So, if they tell you its Constitutional, that just makes it so? The government would have no reason to lie to you, except for the TRILLIONS of dollars made available and the power given to Congress to divide us up and pit us against one another, which is apparently what is happening in this very discussion.
Old 06-29-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Honestly, is this surprising?
Actually, the film isn't an official entry at Cannes. It was shown on the beach. "Debuting at Cannes" is fairly misleading.
Old 06-29-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

fascism?

Terrible choice of word especially for a title. Right off the bat the filmmakers are revealing their extreme bias and putting off 50% (or more) of moviegoers. Why must these documentaries (Moore films, Inconvenient Truth, etc) be so extreme, so alarmist. I guarantee you the "injustices" or whatever the film calls them have been going on for YEARS, but some people act like it is only this president or this administration. Almost invariably, the arguments put forth by films like this are highly specious (somewhat believable but false) or contain exaggerated facts or selectively gathered data. I have no doubt this film will be dishonest on some level to prove its point. I'll pass.
Old 06-29-06, 08:57 AM

It is absurd to question the right of a government to tax its citizens. Without taxing its citizens, the government would go broke. Our government has always taxed its citizens. So even if someone decides it is unconstitutional to do so, the constitution would be amended with great haste to make it constitutional again.

That being said, I agree that our government is robbing more and more of our personal freedoms, particularly to fight its "war on terror" as they like to call it. I will see this film.
Old 06-29-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpCutz
the national identity card (which becomes law in May 2008).
I've never heard of this - kinda frightening, if true...
Old 06-29-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a half truth. The Real ID Act is what they are referring to. The legislation does several things:

1. Creates uniform standards for state issued IDs, such as required info present (digital picture, valid address, etc), and have "common, machine readable" feature, probably a mag strip.

2. Sets uniform standards for how states can issue IDs, requiring a photo ID, birth cert, SS card, proof of address. None citizens are required to have a passport and proof of residence status.

3. Requires each state to make it's DMV records, including driving history, accessible to all other states via on online database.

The law doesn't actually require the states to follow the guidelines above, but only state IDs in compliance will be acceptable for official federal purposes such as screening for commercial flights, opening a FDIC insured bank account, getting SS or any other federal assistance. States can still issue non-"Real ID"s, but they will not be accepted for federal purposes. There is also some transportation funds attached to the establishment of the database.

Critics call it a national ID program, proponents say it merely standardizes existing state ID programs.
Old 06-29-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by kcbrett5
That being said, I agree that our government is robbing more and more of our personal freedoms, particularly to fight its "war on terror" as they like to call it. I will see this film.
Ditto.
Old 06-29-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, so, so far we've got:
1. A film that essentially Godwins itself with the title (not technically, but you know what I mean).
2. A misleading "premiered to a standing ovation at Cannes" plug when really it just played for free on a beach that happened to be in Cannes, France (actually, upon Googling, turs out it premiered in Spokane a few months ago but anywho)
3. The "income tax" argument was disproven in about two minutes by some dude on IMDB.
4. The "National ID" scare tactic is dealt with here.
5. Nick Nolte endorses it.

...it's not looking promising here.
Old 06-29-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can you name one example of a freedom that has been taken from you and how it affects your personal life? I would like a concrete practical example, not idealogical. I'm honestly curious because I haven't noticed my freedoms changed at all.
Old 06-29-06, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by taa455
Can you name one example of a freedom that has been taken from you and how it affects your personal life? I would like a concrete practical example, not idealogical. I'm honestly curious because I haven't noticed my freedoms changed at all.
The fact that I haven't yet felt the impact personally is irrelevant. It has the potential to impact me. You wouldn't sit inside your house while each home on your street was being blown up would you? "Well it hasn't affected me yet so I should be fine if I stay right here."

The government has begun to collect your bank records, spy on your telephone calls, check which websites you visit, and even investigate what books you have been checking out at the local library. Do you trust them with all that? "I'm sorry sir we can't hire you, you once looked at pictures of a naked woman online."

Thanks to the supreme court's new imminent domain rulings, your local government can force you to move out of your house now anytime they feel like it. All they have to do is build a nicer house, or a shopping mall, or anything else they feel would be more valuable than your house. Of course, they will pay you "fairly" for your inconvenience.

Another recent supreme court nugget of wisdonm, police no longer need to wait for you to answer the door when serving warrants. They may simply break in your door if they want. Whether you turn out to be innocent or not is irrelevant.

Criminals can be held for years without charges as long as the government says they are conspiring on acts of terror. They don't actually have to prove that of course, they only have to claim it. They don't need to prove it because they don't have to formally charge you.

And this is just the beginning. Based on recent votes in congress, they would like to formalize their abuse of homosexuals looking for financial security through marriage and eliminate your rights to certain forms of free expression, such as non-violent demonstrations.

I could go on but it would be even more tedious. These are just the ones that have made news headlines recently. They will keep pushing until the people push back.
Old 06-29-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by taa455
Why must these documentaries (Moore films, Inconvenient Truth, etc) be so extreme, so alarmist.
What is so 'extreme biased' and 'alarmist' about An Inconvenient Truth?

Jee someone who knows about global warming presenting the facts in an educational manner. Yep,that's totally alarmist and 'skewed' right there.

I could see where you're going with on Moore. But on ICT,I just don't see it at all. And assume you most likely automatically are against the film because Al Gore happens to have been apart of it rather than actually viewing the film before reaching your conclusion. Since i've seen many people joking about Gore and the film alot in right wing circles in the media and online and most have failed to view it.

Maybe ICT isn't 'extreme' in a bad sense if the information it presents is true? So instead of complaining about learning some scary information about the state of the world today. You could try to do something about it,which the right wing fail to do. And then are against anyone who points out what is causing various problems with the earth today as 'stupid liberal tree huggin hippies'. Which is not the most helpful or productive way of solving problems in the world I might add.

Old 06-29-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"I'm sorry sir we can't hire you, you once looked at pictures of a naked woman online."
Yeah, that's what the government will do.
Old 06-29-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I've become immune to mocking all of these conspiracy theories, because all I got out of reading that article was:

Stop -
"Giuliani Time"
Old 06-29-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
The OP didn't say "extreme biased", just extreme. And who would dare call a film that shows Antarctica as a barren desert and New York underwar and extreme, alarmist film?
Old 06-29-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker

Jee someone who knows about global warming presenting the facts in an educational manner. Yep,that's totally alarmist and 'skewed' right there.

I could see where you're going with on Moore. But on ICT,I just don't see it at all. And assume you most likely automatically are against the film because Al Gore happens to have been apart of it rather than actually viewing the film before reaching your conclusion. Since i've seen many people joking about Gore and the film alot in right wing circles in the media and online and most have failed to view it.

Maybe ICT isn't 'extreme' in a bad sense if the information it presents is true? So instead of complaining about learning some scary information about the state of the world today. You could try to do something about it,which the right wing fail to do. And then are against anyone who points out what is causing various problems with the earth today as 'stupid liberal tree huggin hippies'. Which is not the most helpful or productive way of solving problems in the world I might add.

Actually, the whole point is that many, many people do think ICT is total extremest bullshit. You must not have read the ICT thread. I think ICT hides its tinfoil hat much better but I'd put it in the same camp as this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.