Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-06, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Eric D. Snider's DVD review of The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22252 and...I think that someone who obviously dislikes this genre of movie is patently unqualified to write of review of one. Based on the opening two paragraphs, it was obvious that Mr. Snider's review would be negative regardless of the merits of the movie. Mr. Snider seems to have forgotten the concept of "suspension of disbelief" when writing this review. While I agree with Mr. Snider that the idea behind these movies is rather ridiculous, I still am willing to accept these movies on their own merits rather than entering with a preconceived notion that the movie is bad simply because I do not like the concept. If Mr. Snider cannot put aside his own preconceptions about certain types of movies, he should not be writing reviews on such movies as he renders his entire opinion moot. Based on this review, I still do not know if this is a good, bad or mediocre sequel to "The Fast and the Furious".
Old 06-24-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You're always free to ignore such reviews from people who don't "get" the genre.
Old 06-24-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I stopped reading the review after the first sentence of the second paragraph. Why not get someone who will go into it with an open mind to review it instead of someone with such an extreme dislike of the entire franchise?
Old 06-24-06, 11:42 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
a review is one person's opinion. He is entitled to his just like we are entitled to ours

I loved the movie, well cool, good popcorn flick
Old 06-25-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
My guess is that you woudn't have complained if someone with a positive bias towards the genre would have written a favorable review. People only see bias and whine about reviews when they disagree with the reviewer.
Old 06-25-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I'm sure your right, but my guess is no one would have complained either if the reviewer just hadn't shown any bias one way or the other. I mean Jesus Christ if he thinks the movies are so stupid, why not let someone else review the 3rd one?
At the end of the day it really doesn't matter anyways to me because I had already seen the movie so i didn't need a review to help me decide if i should see it or not, but i clicked on the review out of curiosity since i do like reading the reviews here, but 10 seconds later i was back to browsing the forums.

Last edited by Maxflier; 06-25-06 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-25-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, everyone has different tastes. I'm a car guy but I thought the movie was just okay. The car scenes were average. To me there hasn't been any great car scenes since Le Mans. Sure the story was boring as hell but I haven't seen anything that comes close to the racing scenes in that movie. No CGI; just real cars and real stunts but hey that's just my opinion.
Old 06-25-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The the review is right, the movie does suck.

D