Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Remakes, getting out of hand?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Remakes, getting out of hand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Remakes/adaptations/sequels are nothing new, are more or less as popular as they ever were, will continue to exist and whatever they're remaking/adapting/sequelizing will still exist too.
Sequals I have no problem with, they're usually just trying to make more money, Final Destination, OR progess a story, Star Wars, The Godfather....remakes, in my opinion, are just out and out laziness, "I worked the first time/It's been popular for the past 30 years, let's try it again."
Old 06-22-06, 01:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as we're not seeing Ashton Kutcher say "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse," Tara Reid uttering "Kiss me as if it were the last time" or Chris Klein long for his Rosebud, it's not the end of the world.

I don't see anything wrong with remaking a bad movie into a good one (Ocean's Eleven), which is what they should be doing instead of trying to pull off another Psycho.
Old 06-22-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clemente
If the movie business not an art gallery.
His comment was sarcasm. Notice the three titles he mentioned?
Old 06-22-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
In terms of the MOST UNNECESSARY remake,

the award goes to:

REVENGE OF THE NERDS
Old 06-22-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think some movies can be remade but some shouldn't. Take Poseidon, that movie didn't need to be remade and the budget they put into that movie is ridiculous not really a good way to spend money for a movie if you ask me. I wonder how much the WB lost on that one?
A good remake is something like Batman because you can constantly revisit that one from time to time because it's such a popular character. A movie like Stepford Wives should not have been remade.
Old 06-23-06, 07:29 PM

I can understand retelling foreign movies. Insomnia and The Ring were quality US films.

A classic like Manchurian Candidate should be handled very carefully. Denzel's version was good, but I won't ever own it. I have the original.
Old 06-24-06, 07:04 PM
Banned

No originality left in Hollywood or the music buisness, but in the case of the music buisness that started in 1990.
Old 06-24-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm currently waiting for lucas to remake Episode 4.
Old 06-24-06, 09:37 PM

Depends on your idea of a remake.

Like this..
A good remake is something like Batman because you can constantly revisit that one from time to time because it's such a popular character
Batman Begins was in NO WAY a "remake" of Burton's '89 Batman. It is a different story featuring the same character. It was a restart of a franchise. It's no different than a comic book or novel with different chapters. It is not a REMAKE.

A remake would be 'The Omen'. A needless remake at that. It added a few scenes, but for the most part it didn't do anything the original couldn't.. Now something like 'The Hills have Eyes', that was a great "remake", as it took most the original content, changed a few things and ADDED a lot...Then there are films like 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', which fall more into a "re-imagining", not so much a remake. Has nothing to do with the original, except maybe a very loose plotline.
Old 06-25-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
No, I don't think they are getting out of hand. Several of them, I didn't realize they were remakes until after I saw them. At that point, I checked out the original. Some originals were better, some were worse.

If a movie is entertaining, it has succeeded. Should that movie be a remake, then I don't have a problem with it. As Jack said, these movies help fund original films.
Old 06-25-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think a lot of it is how much you're into the original or how emotionally attached you are to it. Remakes can bug me too, but mostly I just laugh when somebody thinks so highly of themselves that they can improve on a real masterpiece. Psycho, Planet of the Apes, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre come to mind.

I never saw the newest King Kong, as the original is one of the first movies I remember seeing on tv and I adore it, but I can understand why someone would feel the need to "re-imagine" it again with new technology I guess.
Old 06-26-06, 09:24 AM

This thread is a remake.
Old 06-26-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
At rate Hollywood's going, I wouldn't be suprised if they tried to remake Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, or even The Seven Samurai! Is nothing sacred anymore???
Was this supposed to be sarcastic?

Ben Hur and Ten Commandments were themselves both remakes of earlier silent versions.
And Seven Samurai has been remade countless times, from Magnificent Seven (which Kurosawa loved), to Pixar's Bug's Life.

Last edited by slop101; 06-26-06 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some re-makes seem silly to me but I've enjoyed several (Hills Have Eyes, King Kong, etc). I really don't care if they re-make every movie ever. In my mind there are no sacred cows in film. If it is good i'll see it, if not I'll ignore it.
Old 05-16-07, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Paul W.S. Anderson is remaking "The Long Good Friday" I just read on AICN. I really hope this doesn't happen cause I hate that director.
Old 05-16-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Larry Clark is also remaking Mona Lisa.

Also I didn't see it on this page but a few months ago someone at Screen Gems was announced as remaking Straw Dogs. Perhaps that was the OP's motivation but I thought I'd mention it as another particularly heinous remake.
Old 05-17-07, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Depends on your idea of a remake.

Like this..

Batman Begins was in NO WAY a "remake" of Burton's '89 Batman. It is a different story featuring the same character. It was a restart of a franchise. It's no different than a comic book or novel with different chapters. It is not a REMAKE.

Neither Burton's nor Nolan's version of Batman were any good. The best version is the ORIGINAL 60's film that was a spin-off of the TV series starring Adam West. THAT is the version all other versions should be compared too. They should've just left the franchise alone after the original 60's film.
Old 05-17-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Commissioner Gordon: It could be any one of them... But which one? ...Which ones?
Batman: Pretty *fishy* what happened to me on that ladder...
Commissioner Gordon: You mean where there's a fish there could be a...Penguin?
Robin: But wait! It happened at sea... Sea. C for Catwoman!
Batman: Yet, an exploding shark *was* pulling my leg...
Commissioner Gordon: The Joker!
Chief O'Hara: All adds up to a sinister riddle... Riddle-R. Riddler!
Commissioner Gordon: A thought strikes me... So dreadful I scarcely dare give it utterance...
Batman: The four of them... Their forces combined...
Robin: Holy nightmare!

I love that movie.
Old 05-17-07, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Paul W.S. Anderson is remaking "The Long Good Friday" I just read on AICN. I really hope this doesn't happen cause I hate that director.
From the imdb.com:

'The Long Good Friday' To Get Remake

Classic British crime film The Long Good Friday is getting a Hollywood makeover in Miami under the direction of Resident Evil moviemaker Paul W. S. Anderson. The 1980 original starred Bob Hoskins as a London gangster whose criminal empire comes under attack from a wave of mysterious bombings. But production company Handmade Films says the new movie would be "refreshed" with a modern setting. Chairman Patrick Meehan says, "The original was a highly praised classic and one of Handmade's most prized films, but its reach was limited primarily to the U.K. Following continued interest from the U.S., we realized this remake could attract audiences worldwide with an updated setting and contemporary overtones. When Paul presented his creative vision for this project, we were instantly convinced that this is a story that could be successfully refreshed, yet leave the integrity of the original intact." No actors have so far been cast for the project.
Old 05-17-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lame about the Long Good Friday, and Mona Lisa if that's true. It's fucking Bob Hoskins! He's still alive even, and great!

The thing that really pisses me off about remakes are ones that come out only 20-some-or-less years after the original. I just see no point in this; remakes should be many decades after the fact, when the original story was great but the social references/acting style/SFX/fashions/whatever are so outdated that bringing it into current times is justified.

I guess for me it also depends on how much I care about the original. War of the Worlds remake was great IMO, but I never cared much about the original.

Rob Zombie's Halloween = burn in hell
Old 05-17-07, 06:28 PM
Banned

As a teenager in the late 70's after all the great movies & music to come out of that decade I thought to myself what movies & music would be like in the 21st century.
Can you imagine someone saying to me that soul music would be nothing but 70's background music with obscene words by black men with bad voices. And there would be no guitar gods in rock music and that there would be a remakes of great movie classics from the past. All because Hollywood knows that 21st century teens don't watch great movies before 1980's so to remake old classics is like making something new for the 21st century 13 to 25 movie goers. What a creative generation this has been in entertainment!