DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best Zombie Movie Thread! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/469262-best-zombie-movie-thread.html)

OldBoy 06-19-06 06:32 PM

Best Zombie Movie Thread!

I know this has been done, but I wanted to start this here, so it will be forever! Hope that's ok Scott.

This is my favorite sub-genre and while I have said "Dawn of the Dead" (78) many times, nothing gives me more pleasure overall and no movie have I watched so many times consistently then...

http://wzus.ask.com/r?t=a&d=us&s=a&c...f-the-dead.jpg

It is just such a perfect blend of everything that makes movies great, let alone horror-comedies. Great cast, tried and true story, great effects, and heart. I love it!

My all time favorite...now yours...

Scott_Lecter 06-19-06 07:07 PM

I'm a huge fan of <i>Shaun of the Dead</i>, of course, but if I had to narrow it down to <b>1</b> Zombie flick, mine would have to be the original <i>Dawn...</i> as well.

Cinemaddiction 06-19-06 07:26 PM

"Shaun of the Dead" or "Biozombie" personally. They just have their own flare that sets them apart. I love Romero's movies, but "Dawn" was just too heavy handed in the way of social commentary to see as a straight up zombie flick. It was half and half, and the make up apps weren't that great, even for the time.

boredsilly 06-19-06 07:37 PM

Yeah, Shaun is about as perfect a movie as can be made for my specific tastes. Not to mention the dvd has stellar extras. I'm a relatively new fan of all things Zombie, so it probably doesn't surprise that I have a special place in my heart for the newer flicks like the remake of Dawn or 28 Days Later (which seems to be - but even before this phase the original Night of the Living Dead was always good stuff to me. So damn creepy.

TomOpus 06-19-06 07:46 PM

I was always a big fan of the original Night of the Living Dead.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5074/zombie6rf.jpg

Mondo Kane 06-19-06 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was always a big fan of the original Night of the Living Dead.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5074/zombie6rf.jpg

I gotta go with the grandaddy of 'em all too!

Scott Weinberg 06-19-06 08:15 PM

Ditto: the original Night is my favorite, with the original Dawn a close second. I'm also quite fond of Return of the Living Dead and Demons.

Sweet Baby James 06-19-06 10:10 PM

I would have to go with the original Night of the Living Dead as #1. Fulci's Zombi 2 takes the silver and the original Dawn gets the bronze.:)

Gizmo 06-19-06 11:47 PM

Dawn, Day, and Night forme in that order. Day has really grown on me over the years.

Cinemaddiction 06-20-06 01:16 AM

I think "Day" is the best acted zombie movie of all time, personally. Joe Pilato's my icon.

Living Dead 06-20-06 01:18 AM

While I love George Romero, my favorite zombie movie has always been "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie." It has a stupid plot as far as "why" the zombies are re-animating, but the atmosphere of the film is really incredible and the sense of dread it creates is truly frightening. I suppose some might say it is poorly acted, but I don't think so. It has the same quality Night of the Living Dead has, where the events seem to be happening to real people, not to actors.

The first time I watched it as a teenager it scared the hell out of me, and still gives me the creeps to this day.

Fincher Fan 06-20-06 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I would have to go with the original Night of the Living Dead as #1. Fulci's Zombi 2 takes the silver and the original Dawn gets the bronze.:)

:thumbsup:

BuddyRevell 06-20-06 02:23 AM

Return of the Living Dead for me. The whole cast was awesome! Burt, Frank, Freddy, and Ernie were so damn funny. This movie has never aged for me. And Lineaa Quigley as Trash........ :drool:

Maxflier 06-20-06 02:51 AM

I know i'm in the extreme minority here, but I don't like Romero's zombie movies AT ALL (didn't bother watching past the second one).
My vote goes to Dawn of the Dead (2004). I'm also a big fan of 28 Days Later.

I haven't seen the aforementioned Shaun of the Dead yet, but i recorded it off HBO HD the other night so i will check it out soon. Although being a British movie, i seriously doubt i will like it.

Jray 06-20-06 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I'm also a big fan of 28 Days Later.

Although being a British movie, i seriously doubt i will like it.

:whofart:

Give it a chance. Shaun is definitely one of my favorites now. I also like Dawn ('04) and a bunch of others. Hard to pick my favorite zombie flick but Shaun is near the top. Return of the Living Dead is also a great one for the reasons stated above.

Nesbit 06-20-06 07:55 AM

Day, Dawn (original), Shaun, Dawn (remake), 28 Days Later, Night (original). In that order.

Maxflier 06-20-06 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jray
:whofart:

Give it a chance. Shaun is definitely one of my favorites now. I also like Dawn ('04) and a bunch of others. Hard to pick my favorite zombie flick but Shaun is near the top. Return of the Living Dead is also a great one for the reasons stated above.

Well, i said i recorded it and will watch it.
And you picked an odd way of arranging my words in that quote.

Mr. Cinema 06-20-06 08:38 AM

This is an easy choice, the original Night of the Living Dead.

Tenacious D 06-20-06 09:38 AM

My favorites are the original Dawn, the 2004 Dawn, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, the original NOTLD, the 1990 NOTLD, ROTLD 3, and Cemetery Man. I didn't really care for Day of the Dead.

I've yet to see Zombie 2 or Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, but I'm planning on it.

Cinemaddiction 06-20-06 10:23 AM

"28 Days Later" isn't a zombie movie, BTW. That's why they referred to as "infected". It was part of the social allegory.

dadaluholla 06-20-06 10:43 AM

ENJOYED:
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Night of the Living Dead (original)
Night of the Living Dead (remake)
Return of the Living Dead
Demons 1 & 2
House of the Dead
28 Days Later
Cemetary Man
Premutos
Resident Evil
Resident Evil - Apocalypse
Nightmare City
Dead Alive

DISLIKED:
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Hell of the Living Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombie (Zombi 2)
Burial Ground - Night of Terror
Zombie: 4: After Death
Biozombie
The Beyond
City Of The Living Dead
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Undead

HATED:
Meat Market
Stacy

joltman 06-20-06 11:05 AM

I'm probably in the minority that thinks that Shaun of the Dead wasn't that great. Not bad, just not great either.
Anyway, I'm throwing another vote in for the original Dawn of the Dead, one of my favorite movies overall, not even just zombie or horror. I'm also surprised that the Evil Deads haven't come up yet. I would probably put Evil Dead 2 after Dawn of the Dead for best zombie movie.

Mondo Kane 06-20-06 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by joltman
I'm also surprised that the Evil Deads haven't come up yet.

The monsters in the Evil Dead series have always been demons to me.

OldBoy 06-20-06 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The monsters in the Evil Dead series have always been demons to me.

yeah, i never really considered those as 'zombie' movies. more evil manifestations and beings, but zombies...not really.

Jray 06-20-06 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Well, i said i recorded it and will watch it.
And you picked an odd way of arranging my words in that quote.

I did that on purpose... because 28 Days Later is a British movie and you're a "big fan". Although the way it came out after snipping wasn't the best. Just thought it was funny.