Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best blood and guts horror movie? (GORE, GORE, GORE!)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-19-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen many of them (evil dead 1, dawn of the dead ect) and was wondering which ones i have maybe missed. Also, we should discuss which is prefered here, cgi blood and gore, or practical effects.
Old 06-19-06, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I have seen many of them (evil dead 1, dawn of the dead ect) and was wondering which ones i have maybe missed. Also, we should discuss which is prefered here, cgi blood and gore, or practical effects.
A few that jump to mind:

Dead Alive - Gore-filled from beginning to end
Ichi the Killer - From the Japanese "master", I haven't been able to watch it a 2nd time yet
Hostel - Recent favorite

And, always always ALWAYS go with practical effects! If I can tell it's CGI (which I usually can) then it's no good.
Old 06-19-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The gore isnt a ton but THE THING is still my fav horror film of all time.
Old 06-19-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't seen dead alive yet (the pj version, or the miike version?)
ichi is really nasty at times (either the burning scolding oil on the guy while hanging up on hook, or the nipple slice are the big cringe worthy stuff in that flick)
Old 06-19-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts
I'm 99% sure he's talking about the Peter Jackson movie.

It's a must-see for gore-hounds. I'd love to see him go back to his roots and do another gore-fest flick.
Old 06-19-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

August Underground & August Underground's Mordum come to mind right away.

There's also the Guinea Pig series.
Old 06-19-06, 06:58 PM
Cool New Member

Cannibal Holocaust

Aftermath

Both good and both gory.
Old 06-19-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Haven't seen it yet, but I hear Premutos is up there in the gore factor.
Old 06-19-06, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'm 99% sure he's talking about the Peter Jackson movie.

It's a must-see for gore-hounds. I'd love to see him go back to his roots and do another gore-fest flick.
You, sir, are correct! This is an absolute MUST-HAVE for anyone that considers himself a horror fan.

Rypro - run, don't walk, to the nearest DVD store or rental place and pick this up immediately. Don't post back until you've watched it . Besides the gore, it's an absolute hoot.
Old 06-19-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh want to hear something amazing,speaking of gore films?

I never thought I would see this in my lifetime. But at Wal-Mart in the $7.50 shelf display. They had many copies now of Peter Jacksons Dead Alive! Since it was only released unrated on dvd. It's quite surprising they finally for some odd reason got it in stock despite never carrying it before!

Meanwhile on the VHS front of that film. I could only find the R rated version available for rental at places like Blockbuster. And I suspect WM would have carried that unwatchable(literally,no exaggeration!) version as well if they stocked the film then or if an R version were on dvd also.
Old 06-19-06, 07:36 PM

Received 230 Likes on 138 Posts
Zombi 2.
Old 06-19-06, 07:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 156 Likes on 137 Posts
"Braindead" aka "Dead Alive"...i have both uncut and cut versions and both are quite bloody. way before the days of cgi. Jackson used the real deal fake stuff or whatever they use. Pig's blood maybe. anyway i think it is stated somewhere that this one used the most ever.
Old 06-19-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by dogmatica
Zombi 2.
I've considered blind buying this several times. But I've put it back thinking I would probably end up not liking it.

What are some thoughts on this flick?
Old 06-19-06, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
"Braindead" aka "Dead Alive"...i have both uncut and cut versions and both are quite bloody.
Just to avoid confusion. The R rated 85 minute is not bloody at all since every single frame/drop of blood is cut from the picture!

The difference between the unrated 97 minute and 104 minute international versions are almost the same gorewise. It's mostly extra charecter bits added in the even longer version and a tiny bit more gore.
Old 06-19-06, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Just to avoid confusion. The R rated 85 minute is not bloody at all since every single frame/drop of blood is cut from the picture!

The difference between the unrated 97 minute and 104 minute international versions are almost the same gorewise. It's mostly extra charecter bits added in the even longer version and a tiny bit more gore.
yeah, i didn't mean the 'R' rated cut, i have the Am. UR and UK International. but, didn't know it wasn't gore that was cut.

would the 'R'-rated be fun to watch? i can't imagine this film without a drop of blood or gore. it would prob. be something cool to see huh?
Old 06-19-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I've considered blind buying this several times. But I've put it back thinking I would probably end up not liking it.

its a dawn of the dead ripoff pure and simple, but contains one of the best gore effects, i've ever seen
Spoiler:
a sharp piece of wood of a door right through the eye!!
Old 06-19-06, 08:23 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Zombie vs Shark - worth a purchase for this concept alone.

Its definately worth a blind buy. It is one of the great zombie movies. Get the newest 2 disc from Shriek Show. It the best version available.
Old 06-19-06, 08:24 PM
Banned

Miike's series is "Dead or Alive", BTW.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
August Underground & August Underground's Mordum come to mind right away.

There's also the Guinea Pig series.
I ordered the Guinea Pig box from DeepDiscount during the sale, but it was retracted, claiming it had been disco'd, when it hasn't. I was pissed. I've heard the gore quotient is insane, but the movies themselves are just trash.

I've always found "Zombi 2" to be overrated by fans. Not that any of Fulci's movies were that great, sans "The Beyond". Same for "Cannibal Holocaust", sans the animal scenes, it seemed pretty tame, and the board room cut scenes were soooo dated and intrusive.

If I could suggest one, "Zombie Holocaust" aka "Dr. Butcher MD" is a personal favorite. Not to mention it stars the gorgeous Alexandra Delli Colli, in tEh buff (well, painted flowers) and it was written by longtime Fulci collaborator Fabrizio De Angelis. Gore galore, indeed. Lobotomies, scalpings, eyeballs popping out, vocal cords being torn out, you name it.
Old 06-19-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
I ordered the Guinea Pig box from DeepDiscount during the sale, but it was retracted, claiming it had been disco'd, when it hasn't. I was pissed. I've heard the gore quotient is insane, but the movies themselves are just trash.
I have a couple of the movies. You're right about the movie value but the blood does flow.

How about a nod to Herschell Gordon Lewis? Blood Feast is considered the first gore movie. The movie is cheesy but has some nice gore effects (for it's time). As a side note, my biggest disappointment at last year's Comic-Con was when Connie Mason had to cancel.
Old 06-19-06, 11:13 PM

how bout "Starship Troopers" ? not exactly horror, but it's got some good blood and guts. why this movie is so overlooked is beyond me. if you take it for what it is, a self-depracating sci-fi/action/horror movie you can love it.
Old 06-19-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found Ichi's gore to be so cartoonish that it didn't really bother me. Speaking of Peter Jackson, Bad Taste has a fair amount of gore, albeit comical. The most recent gore flick that I enjoyed has to be High Tension.
Old 06-20-06, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
would the 'R'-rated be fun to watch? i can't imagine this film without a drop of blood or gore. it would prob. be something cool to see huh?
It's a G rated version of the film pure and simple. It's only worth watching to see how bad censorship can hurt a picture. Considering the gore is cartoonish,at least 'some' of it should have been allowed in the R version...but none was allowed through!

The finale for example is drained of it's color,that it is nearly black and white to diminish the background gore. While it's also severely cropped to further hide severed body parts/background gore!

The famous lawnmower sequence is roughly 5 seconds or less long.

So yeah,it's worth checking out if only to watch in disbelief how butchured beyond belief the film is.

If you have a free rental at Blockbuster and happen to find the R rated version,give it a rent. But I wouldn't pay much to own that version.

It would be cool if a dvd were released with all three versions of the film for comparisions sake. I'm a sucker for comparing versions of a film when available to see how ratings cuts affect a film and such.

Oh and I don't know if it has been mentioned yet. But the remake of The Hills Have Eyes:Unrated is definitely a worthy entry on a gore list. The film is brutal,nasty,disturbing,intense,graphic,unpleasent,gruesome and unrelenting.
Old 06-20-06, 02:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I found Ichi's gore to be so cartoonish that it didn't really bother me. Speaking of Peter Jackson, Bad Taste has a fair amount of gore, albeit comical. The most recent gore flick that I enjoyed has to be High Tension.
That's Manga for ya, I guess. Another personal favorite that I withheld from the zombie thread is a weird ass Japanese undead film called "Stacy", from Synapse Films. Some of the best gore and effects I've ever seen.
Old 06-20-06, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote is for the original Hellraiser. The effcts that turned Frank into a dripping, bloody monster were awesome.
Old 06-20-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Satyricon553
Zombie vs Shark - worth a purchase for this concept alone.

Its definately worth a blind buy. It is one of the great zombie movies. Get the newest 2 disc from Shriek Show. It the best version available.
I cannot even find this anywherE?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.