Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Borat -- The Movie -- Sacha Baron Cohen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Borat -- The Movie -- Sacha Baron Cohen

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpCutz

Uhm...wow.
Old 08-10-06, 04:36 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
robo you have never seen borat before?
Old 08-10-06, 04:59 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
this is inamous song about the well!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6TLF2d4_u...elated&search=
Old 08-10-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is good!
Old 08-10-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 725 Likes on 530 Posts
As sickeningly hilarious as the comic con footage was, I want to see this.
Old 08-11-06, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
robo you have never seen borat before?
No. I've seen him. I was " 'ing " about the Hunter guy's comments about Jews and Blacks.
Old 08-16-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE

He is out of control hilarious. I love how he exposes all the anti-Semite hicks in the U.S. Pure genius.
Old 08-17-06, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of his HBO show, is it coming back for a third season or is he just doing films like Borat now?
Old 08-17-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks like this is going to be funny from the trailer i saw in the theatres.
Old 08-17-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This better not get an NC-17.
Old 08-18-06, 12:12 PM

That looks great! I can't wait.
Old 09-08-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Equal-Opportunity Offender Plays Anti-Semitism for Laughs

By SHARON WAXMAN
Published: September 7, 2006

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 6 — Fall is traditionally when Hollywood turns to more serious films, and the Toronto International Film Festival is where they are frequently shown. But a new movie that seems certain to raise hackles and induce squirming is a raucous comedy that makes its points by seeming to embrace sexism, racism, homophobia and that most risky of social toxins: anti-Semitism.

Screening at midnight on Thursday in Toronto, “Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan” stars the chameleonlike comedian Sacha Baron Cohen as he impersonates a Kazakh reporter touring the United States, bringing his version of Kazakh culture to real-life Americans.

In one scene Borat insists on driving to California rather than flying, “in case the Jews repeat their attack of 9/11.” As he tours the South, he becomes terrified when he learns that an elderly couple who run an inn are Jewish. When cockroaches crawl under the door of his room, he becomes convinced the innkeepers have transformed themselves into bugs, and throws money at them.

In another scene Borat returns to his home village and participates in an annual ritual, “The Running of the Jews,” complete with giant Jew puppets that the villagers beat with clubs.

This anti-anti-Semitic humor is mixed in with other outrageous behavior, including slurs against Gypsies and gays, and a nude wrestling match. But in a world in which resurgent anti-Semitism has become — sometimes literally — an explosive topic, the movie may well hit a particular nerve, especially in Europe.

The British-born Mr. Baron Cohen, who calls himself an observant Jew, has performed this same high-wire comedy act for his HBO series, “Da Ali G Show,” in which he plays three characters, including Borat, each hilariously offensive in its own right.

The title character of the show, Ali G, is a vaguely Muslim British idiot with a hip-hop persona, who was the subject of a rather tame, and unsuccessful, film in 2002, “Ali G Indahouse,” released straight to video in the United States.

With “Borat,” Mr. Baron Cohen — who shares screenplay credit with several others — decided to head straight for the most sensitive areas of politically incorrect global culture, and for the first time will be doing so for a mass audience, far beyond the sophisticated niche of HBO. The film is to be released by 20th Century Fox on Nov. 3 on more than 2,000 screens nationwide.

(Borat is not explicitly Muslim, but Kazakhstan has a large Sunni Muslim population along with a sizable contingent of Orthodox Christians.)

Mr. Baron Cohen, who is appearing in Toronto as Borat, declined to be interviewed for this article and will be conducting interviews ahead of the film only in character.

20th Century Fox also declined to comment for this article or otherwise participate. Executives at the studio said that they were concerned about overemphasizing the political aspects of the humor, or otherwise labeling the movie, which they said they hoped would have broad appeal to a young audience.

The film is experimental and highly unusual for Hollywood, in some ways reminiscent of the guerrilla humor of Andy Kaufman, who baited members of the unsuspecting public with his characters, or the buffoonery of Charlie Chaplin as a Hitler-esque tyrant in “The Great Dictator” in 1940.

Film historians said that Hollywood was usually reluctant to take on controversy in general and had particularly avoided treating anti-Semitism in the past.

“Hollywood has a history of avoiding controversial topics, and notably did so at the end of the 1930’s, with the rise of Nazism and anti-Semitism,” said Jonathan Kuntz, who teaches American film history at the University of California, Los Angeles. Studios “were afraid of offending audiences, and of limiting their popularity in the European market,” he added. “And because so many moguls were Jewish, they were afraid this would be used to attack Hollywood as anti-Nazi.”

Today too Hollywood is often reluctant openly to discuss anti-Semitism, as was evidenced by the careful debate over Mel Gibson’s 2004 blockbuster, “The Passion of the Christ.” Only when Mr. Gibson was heard making anti-Jewish slurs this summer during a drunken-driving arrest did a few Hollywood veterans speak out against him.

“Borat” was to some extent made outside the Hollywood system. Fox kept the film off its production list and created a separate company, One America, to be the nominal producer. Mr. Baron Cohen also ran into creative differences with his first director, Todd Phillips, who left the production last year, while the film shut down for five months. The veteran comedy director Larry Charles eventually completed the film.

A spokesman for Mr. Baron Cohen said that Mr. Phillips’s departure was “a mutual decision.”

During the shoot Fox ignored numerous protests from the Kazakh Embassy in Washington, whose officials were concerned about the depiction of their country as prejudiced.

Early indications are that the film will be a hit. It rocked audiences with laughter at the Cannes Film Festival, where Mr. Baron Cohen was photographed on the beach wearing a neon-green kind of thong, and won an audience award at Michael Moore’s Traverse City Film Festival in Michigan this summer.

Still, “I can almost guarantee you that not everyone will get the joke,” said Richard B. Jewell, a professor of film history at the University of Southern California. But he added: “In my opinion it’s a very healthy thing. Some of best films that have been made in the last 50 years have been black comedies.” He cited “Dr. Strangelove,” which poked fun at nuclear holocaust.

“What can be more serious?” he asked. “It makes people think about these things in ways they don’t when there are more straightforward, serious, sober films.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/07/mo...374&ei=5087%0A

<hr>

This is near impossible. Each thing I hear about the movie makes it seem more preposterous and more amazing. That cockroach bit is hilarious.
Old 09-08-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw last night on E's Daily ten, a quick report with Borat speaking, i dont know where cause i was changing channels, but looked like a type of award show or conference, and his thanking for something and then he mentioned Mel Gibson at the the end.
Old 09-09-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
This really isn't my kind of thing. I never appreciated the Ali G. Show. I do like that he exposes people who are just plain bigots, but I have a hard time laughing at some guy who is insulting some guy's wife. That type of stuff seems rather cruel rather than funny to me.
Old 09-09-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw Borat at TIFF last night. INCREDIBLE movie. It was everything I wanted and more. It pushed the envelope of offensive over the edge but I have never laughed harder in my entire life. I had to wait in the pouring rain for hours to get rush tickets but it was extremely worth it...Borat wasn't there (but Sacha Baron Cohen SAT BEHIND ME for the first 20 minutes, which was very cool) but the audience was going ballistic for the movie.

Word of mouth is going to really help this film and I know I am dying to see it again, so I think it will definitely get repeat business. Brilliant movie from start to finish, and the trailer is just the tip of the iceberg.

MATT
Old 09-12-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The following is littered with spoilers, so be warned, but it's a very positive review:

"Borat" the year's most offensive masterpiece

By Kirk Honeycutt
Tue Sep 12, 3:36 AM ET

TORONTO (Hollywood Reporter) - This year you are not going to find a more appalling, tasteless, grotesque, politically incorrect or slanderous film than "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan."

You probably won't laugh as hard all year either. For once it's true: "Borat" has to be seen to be believed. Like an exploding cesspool at a country club dinner. Or a strip show in a cathedral. You just might want to stay through the credit crawl too: The last shot is as funny as the first one.

"Borat" is a mockumentary revolving around one Borat Sagdiyev, a gangly, gray-suited journalist working for Kazakhstan's state-run TV network, who takes his mangled English and die-hard prejudices to America to make a documentary about life in the U.S. of A. Borat is the brainchild of British comic Sacha Baron Cohen, creator and star of HBO's "Da Ali G Show." The director of "Borat" is one of the inventors of modern TV comedy, "Seinfeld" veteran Larry Charles, whose sure hand here shows that he has moved on from the Bob Dylan vehicle "Masked and Anonymous," his unfortunate first misstep in cinema.

"Borat" played to many empty seats at initial festival screenings last week. But in its final screenings, turn-away crowds showed up thanks to the buzz. Here amid all this serious, high-minded art, audiences were greedy for a movie where everything, truly everything, is inappropriate. Fox may have a hit with "Borat."

The movie begins in Kazakhstan (with Romania doing the honors), where Borat shows off his native village and its traditions. This includes the Running of the Jew, where young men flee down a corridor of terror before an individual in a huge mask that brings together just about every anti-Semitic caricature into one horrible visage. Borat then proudly introduces his sister, "the No. 4 prostitute in all of country."

He brings to America a host of prejudices so ingrained as to offend everyone he meets. His interview with a group of feminists revolves around his belief that a woman's brain is the size of a squirrel's. He is terrified of homosexuals, yet blithely practices his homeland's manly customs of men kissing each other and wrestling in the nude.

Borat is accompanied by his obese producer, Azamat Bagatov (Ken Davitian), who can't understand why they are crossing the country in a purchased ice cream truck instead of doing the interviews scheduled on the East Coast. He doesn't realize that his colleague has discovered his true love while watching reruns of "Baywatch" on TV: Pamela Anderson. Because she lives in California, that is now the promised land. He means to marry her Kazakhstan-style, which requires a burlap sack.

On the road, Borat takes hip-hop lessons from black youths. He tries to purchase a gun to protect himself from Jews. (He buys a bear instead.) He draws cheers from a crowd at a rodeo by chanting, "May George Bush drink the blood of every man, woman and child in Iraq!" He invites a large prostitute to a dinner party of religious conservatives.

The high point -- which also is the low point -- comes when he and his producer get into a very physical fight in their hotel room over Anderson, which spills into the hall, an elevator, the lobby and finally a convention in a banquet room. They are both buck naked, which is not a pretty sight.

So, is "Borat" a modern-day version of those old Polish jokes? The movie will have its detractors and defenders, but it's pretty clear the satiric attack isn't on bigotry so much as its origins -- superstitions, traditions, ancestral animosities and beliefs in cultural and gender superiority, all firmly rooted in dire ignorance.

The weapon wielded by Cohen and Charles is crudeness. People today, especially those in public life, can disguise prejudice in coded language and soft tones. Bigotry is ever so polite now. So the filmmakers mean to drag the beast out into the sunlight of brilliant satire and let everyone see the rotting, stinking, foul thing for what it is. When you laugh at something that is bad, it loses much of its power.

Cast:

Borat Sagdiyev: Sacha Baron Cohen

Herself: Pamela Anderson

Azamat Bagatov: Ken Davitian

Director: Larry Charles; Screenwriters: Sacha Baron Cohen, Anthony Hines, Peter Baynham, Don Mazer; Producers: Sacha Baron Cohen, Jay Roach; Executive producers: Dan Mazer, Monica Levinson; Director of photography: Anthony Hardwick, Luke Geissbuhler; Production designer: David Maturana; Costumes: Jason Alper; Music: Erran Baron Cohen; Editors: Peter Teschner, James Thomas.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 09-12-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't.....wait....till....November.
Old 09-13-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Bush to hold talks on Ali G creator after diplomatic row

Making waves: Sacha Baron Cohen's creation Kazakh tv presenter Borat

US President George Bush is to host White House talks on British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen.

Cohen, 35, creator of Ali G, has infuriated the Kazakhstan government with his portrayal of Borat, a bumbling Kazakh TV presenter.

And now a movie of Borat's adventures in the US has caused a diplomatic incident.

The opening scene, which shows Borat lustily kissing his sister goodbye and setting off for America in a car pulled by a horse, had audiences in stitches when it was first shown last week.

But the film, which has just premiered at the Toronto Film Festival, has prompted a swift reaction from the Kazakhstan government, which is launching a PR blitz in the States.

Kazakhstan president Nursultan Nazarbayev is to fly to the US to meet President Bush in the coming weeks and on the agenda will be his country's image.

President Nazarbayev has confirmed his government will buy "educational" TV spots and print advertisements about the "real Kazakhstan" in a bid to save the country's reputation before the film is released in the US in November.

President Nazarbayev will visit the White House and the Bush family compound in Maine when he flies in for talks that will include the fictional character Borat.

But a spokesman for the Kazakhstan Embassy says it is unlikely that President Nazarbayev will find the film funny.

Roman Vassilenko said: "The Government has expressed its displeasure about Borat's representation of our country.

"Our opinion of the character has not changed.

"We understand that the film exposes the hypocrisy that exists both here in the USA and in the UK and understand that Mr Cohen has a right to freedom of speech.

"Nursultan Nazarbayev has taken Mr Bush up on an invitation to visit this country to help build our relationship with the USA.

"I cannot speak for the president himself, only for the government, but I certainly don't think President Nazarbayev and Mr Bush will share a joke about the film.

"The bottom line is we want people to know that he does not represent the true people of Kazakhstan."

The Kazakh government has previously threatened Baron-Cohen with legal action, for allowing Borat to, among other things, make fun of his homeland, demean women, slander gypsies and urge listeners to "Throw the Jew Down the Well."

Anti-Borat hard-liners have pulled the plug on borat.kz, Borat's Kazakhstan-based Website after his frequent displays of anti-Semitism and his portrayal of Kazakh culture.

Nurlan Isin, President of the Association of Kazakh IT Companies took the action after complaints.

He said: "We've done this so he can't badmouth Kazakhstan under the .kz domain name.

"He can go and do whatever he wants at other domains."

The row originally erupted in November 2005, following Borat's hosting of the MTV Europe Music Awards in Lisbon.

The Kazakh Foreign Ministry was furious over Cohen's bad taste representation of the nation.

'No such thing as bad publicity'

Foreign Ministry spokesman Yerzhan Ashykbayev told a news conference: "We view Mr. Cohen's behaviour at the MTV Europe Music Awards as utterly unacceptable, being a concoction of bad taste and ill manners which is completely incompatible with the ethics and civilized behaviour of Kazakhstan's people.

"We reserve the right to any legal action to prevent new pranks of the kind."

Baron Cohen responded to Ashykbayev in character by posting a video on the Official Borat website.

In the video, Borat said, "In response to Mr. Ashykbayev's comments, I'd like to state I have no connection with Mr. Cohen and fully support my Government's decision to sue this Jew.

"Since the 2003 Tuleyakiv reforms, Kazakhstan is as civilized as any other country in the world.

"Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hats, and age of consent has been raised to eight years old."

His blatant outpouring then prompted the Kazakh government to hire two public relations firms to counter the claims, and ran a four-page advertisement in The New York Times.

The ad carried testimonials about the nation's democracy, education system and the power and influence enjoyed by women. News of President Nazarbayev's upcoming visit has prompted experts to study the character's impact on US culture.

Sean R. Roberts, Central Asian Affairs Fellow at Georgetown University, has been studying the phenomenon.

He said: "I have found that more Americans are aware of Kazakhstan than four years ago when I last lived in the United States.

"The increased knowledge of Kazakhstan, however, is not due to the country's economic successes or its role as a U.S. ally in the war on terror.

"Instead, most Americans who have heard of Kazakhstan have heard of it through a satire of a Kazakh journalist named Borat.

"Borat certainly does not promote an image of Kazakhstan that is in sync with that which the government and its leader would like to promote abroad.

"As the old adage goes, however, 'there is no such thing as bad publicity.'

"If that is true, Borat is bringing much more publicity to Kazakhstan."

Cohen's representatives refused to allow him or his alter ego to respond to the controversy because it's not close enough to the film's release date.
Old 09-13-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Kazakh government has previously threatened Baron-Cohen with legal action, for allowing Borat to, among other things, make fun of his homeland, demean women, slander gypsies and urge listeners to "Throw the Jew Down the Well."
My God. That is so f'n funny.

I can't wait to watch this flick.
Old 09-13-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the video, Borat said, "In response to Mr. Ashykbayev's comments, I'd like to state I have no connection with Mr. Cohen and fully support my Government's decision to sue this Jew.

"Since the 2003 Tuleyakiv reforms, Kazakhstan is as civilized as any other country in the world.

"Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hats, and age of consent has been raised to eight years old."
Old 09-14-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why would Bush have anything to say...shouldn't they be meeting with Tony Blair...after all SBC is British...or is it because the film is going to be HUGE in America? This is really just free publicity for the movie because they certainly can't STOP IT from coming out... thing called "freedom of speech". Glorious.

If these Kazakhstani's are mad about what they've seen on TV, they are going to be fucking FURIOUS when they see the movie. Especially scenes like
Spoiler:
THE RUNNING OF THE JEW!!!!!
Hilarious.

MATT
Old 09-14-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
MY god, I don't watch Borat and believe that Kazakhstan is actually like that. I consider Borat's Kazakhstan to be completely fictional. People have got to stop getting so bent out of shape. I don't freak out everytime people in my country are depicted living in igloos, dog sledding and saying 'eh' every second word.
Old 09-14-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh, you don't freak out everytime people in your country are depicted living in igloos, dog sledding, and saying "eh" every second word just because it's all true, when you really get down to the heart of the matter.
Old 09-14-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Why would Bush have anything to say...shouldn't they be meeting with Tony Blair...after all SBC is British...or is it because the film is going to be HUGE in America? This is really just free publicity for the movie because they certainly can't STOP IT from coming out... thing called "freedom of speech". Glorious.

If these Kazakhstani's are mad about what they've seen on TV, they are going to be fucking FURIOUS when they see the movie. Especially scenes like
Spoiler:
THE RUNNING OF THE JEW!!!!!
Hilarious.

MATT

I'm sure the Kazakhstani government would be pleased with the new national anthem.

I mean, who wouldn't want to have it known that they produce the best potassium
Old 09-15-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now let's see how long this lasts:

RottenTomatoes - 100%

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.