Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

If you were this movie, what would your name be?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-15-06, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another one of those Name-that-Movie threads.

There's an old science fiction movie I probably saw in the early 80s, so it dates before then and could be BW or color.

A small town and the surrounding area was enclosed in a bubble (possibly during a rainstorm) and I think a plane got trapped inside and crashed/landed. The people from the plane try to get out of the town, but can't and I think the townspeople are under some alien control. At one point a truck with explosives is crashed into the bubble in an attempt to break their way through but it has no effect. They also try to dig under the bubble secretly by tunneling from under a cabin. I seem to remember they do find a lower edge.

It's not an old Twilight Zone or Outer Limits.
Old 06-15-06, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Change the town to an island and I would call myself "Lost."
Old 06-15-06, 08:19 AM
Banned

I'm confused. There's a bubble over the town, but a plane gets thru it and crashes?

When I think of bubbles over towns, all I think of is the domed city from Logan's Run.

I got nuthin'.
Old 06-15-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
I'm confused. There's a bubble over the town, but a plane gets thru it and crashes?

When I think of bubbles over towns, all I think of is the domed city from Logan's Run.
The bubble going over the town is an event that occurs, like if all of a sudden where you live was encased in a clear glass dome or wall. I'm not sure if it had a top or not. It was definitely not like a Logan's Run dome, I think it was like clear window glass, just unbreakable.

I knew this was going to be a hard one, but it's been nagging me for years, so I figured and I'd finally give it a shot here.
Old 06-15-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds like The Bubble (1966), which is actually available on DVD.

Here's an excerpt from a customer review:

"...Similar to the Twilight Zone episode where the couple wakes up, hungover, after a party in a strange town that seems to have no escape. Here, however, the characters get to the outskirts of town to find a clear wall/dome surrounding the city..."

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 06-15-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It never ceases to amaze me what the combined knowledge of obscure movies the members on this site can provide. Randy, that definitely sounds like the movie. Thanks a lot. The IMDB also lists some alternate titles for it such as Fantastic Invasion of Planet Earth and The Zoo. I even found a site that mentions digging a tunnel under it so it sounds like the one. I never would have guessed it was a 3-D movie (some sites say it's the first), but maybe that's why I couldn't remember if it was BW or color. I guess I'll have to add this to the already too much money spent on the DDD sale.