Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sweeny Todd ramps into production...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

...and musical-theater fans everywhere begin to tremble in fear. Or maybe it's just me.
Tim Burton goes from Ripley to "Sweeney"
By Sheigh Crabtree and Anne Thompson

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Paramount Pictures Chairman Brad Grey has decided to exchange one big-budget Tim Burton movie project for another.

Grey has sent "Believe It or Not," based on exploits of adventurer and oddities collector Robert Ripley, back into development while Stacey Snider, chief of Paramount's DreamWorks studio, is putting "Sweeney Todd" on the fast track with Burton at the helm.

DreamWorks will now need to assemble and cast that movie, which is being adapted by John Logan ("The Aviator") from the Stephen Sondheim Broadway musical. The stage production of "Sweeney Todd" just won John Doyle the Tony Award on Sunday night for best director of a musical.

Burton already is talking with actor Johnny Depp about taking the lead role in the feature film version as the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Paramount sources said.

Burton and producers Richard Zanuck, Sean Daniel and Jim Jacks had been fighting the battle of the budget bulge on "Believe," starring Jim Carrey.

But Grey refused to give the project a green light for production until the ambitious project fell into the $150 million range, co-president of production Brad Weston confirmed.

Burton, whose previous credits include "Edward Scissorhands," "Batman" and "Big Fish," already had scouted locations in China and devoted months to pre-production in London for "Believe." He is returning from London to meet with Carrey.

Grey made the decision to rework the script and visual effects sequences with the budget in mind, Weston said.

"In a world where we wanted to do more work on the script, this seemed to make more sense," he said.

"Believe" marks the second Carrey project to fall apart in recent months. He also had been slated to star in Jay Roach's "Used Guys" with Ben Stiller for 20th Century Fox.

Paramount executives insist that "Believe" will go forward in another year.

"We love this project and look forward to making it with Tim and Jim -- just later than originally planned," Paramount production president Gail Berman said.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Now I'm a huge Depp fan, and he's got incredible range. But shoehorning Depp into the Sweeney role just seems so wrong, since 1) it calls for a man who is physically intimidating (towering helps) and 2) the music (which better not be watered down, popularized or fucked up--it's only the most all-around important musical score of the 20th century) calls for a booming bass/baritone, not a wispy-voiced non-singer.

That aside, I could see Burton doing this well if he respects the original enough, and please god chooses people with adequate chops...

And by respect I don't mean he has to stick to it exactly... I was fine with the changes to Charlie & the Chocolate Factory... But if this turns into another Planet of the Apes, it's going to be a tragically missed chance of epic proportions not only in the world of horror films, but in the worlds of musical theater, literature and classical music/opera.
Old 06-13-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Burton seems like the obvious choice to helm this. I've never heard Depp sing, but I can see him in the role, although I'd prefer someone who, like you said, is a powerful bass singer.

I hope Burton doesn't make it too gruesome, though.
Old 06-13-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I dont know if it was Depp or not singing in it by watch "Crybaby" its a musical staring Depp.
Old 06-13-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I hope Burton doesn't make it too gruesome, though.
Really? My first directorial choice would have been Julie Taymor, for her work with both stage musicals (Lion King) and classical film gore (Titus), and I'd cast it with Broadway/Opera talent instead of movie stars, be scrupulously fathful to the spirit of the score, and make it a hard-R for blood.

That said, if I had to choose familiar names I'd have gone Walken and (god help us) Streisand for Sweeney & Lovitt. These roles need superior acting & musical chops on so many levels, and I'm just not sure Burton's gonna go that direction, as opposed to handing it to popular stars who you have to water down the material for...

Last edited by adamblast; 06-13-06 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
God, that's good.
Old 06-13-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dashed
I dont know if it was Depp or not singing in it by watch "Crybaby" its a musical staring Depp.
Think of this as a full-on Mozart-style opera and you get an idea of the singing required by maybe six main characters and a dozen important secondary folks. Much tougher than, for example, Les Miz--which is already much more accomplished singing than most moviestars could do.

I'm leaning toward the idea that the singing oughta be dubbed by others if he uses popular box-office names... Something that hasn't been done much in the modern movie musical, with good reason...

Last edited by adamblast; 06-13-06 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This has been rumored before, but this sounds as if it migt actually come to be. I agree that the score really needs to be presented properly, moreso than in most screen adaptations. I have no doubt that Depp has the acting chops, and may very well surprise us vocally.

And if we need some more rumors .... Playbill has reported a possible new big-screen version of Gypsy with Catherine Zyta-Jones to be directed by Rob Marshall.
Old 06-13-06, 09:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll bet Danny Elfman will end up doing the singing voice.

Then again, it may not be a joke...
Old 06-13-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adamblast
Really? I'd ... make it a hard-R for blood.
I'm a wimp. I just don't think Hostel ...with Songs! would be very entertaining or rewatchable.
Old 06-13-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
God, that's good.
Old 06-13-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a wimp. I just don't think Hostel ...with Songs! would be very entertaining or rewatchable.
Kind of hard to do this one without a little blood.

Have I missed some piece of news where they said that the film version would be a musical? I think it would be tragic if it wasn't (I think Rent proved that the American public was still receptive to a good musical movie), but I also wouldn't put it past Hollywood to make it an film adaptation without music.
Old 06-13-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yay! "Sweeney Todd" is my favorite musical of all time, and I'm a big fan of Tim Burton. I just hope he can do the rather dark material justice without making it too graphically morbid.
Old 06-14-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
For the record, Depp did not sing in Cry-baby. James Intveld performed the numbers.
Old 06-14-06, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
One of my favorite musicals. I hope they film it as a movie and not a glorified stage production (e.g. Chicago).

With all these musical movies, is it only a matter of time before we see Les Miserables?
Old 06-14-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I still watch my VHS of the George Hearn version quite often. Depp is great, but no Sweeney.
Old 06-14-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by talemyn
Have I missed some piece of news where they said that the film version would be a musical? I think it would be tragic if it wasn't (I think Rent proved that the American public was still receptive to a good musical movie), but I also wouldn't put it past Hollywood to make it an film adaptation without music.
There's a half-decent nonmusical version of the legend starring Ben Kingsley, if I remember right.

No, this is definitely the Sondheim horror musical being brought to the screen. Several of the articles in the past week have mentioned it, and it has always been the version of the property Burton & Depp were considering.
Old 06-14-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
With all these musical movies, is it only a matter of time before we see Les Miserables?
Probably. No doubt Ashlee Simpson is gearing up to play Eponine right now.

Last edited by adamblast; 06-14-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-14-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wasn't Sam Mendes originally slated to direct this one? He's producing it, I know, but I could've sworn that he was supposed to helm it (this is pre-Jarhead). When did Burton come aboard?

-JP
Old 06-14-06, 11:15 AM
Banned

Well, Burton seems like the obvious choice to helm this.
Before I even clicked on this thread my intent was to register surprise if this wasn't a Burton project.
Old 06-14-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Depp is a perfect choice for acting Sweeney, but probably not singing Sweeney.
Old 06-14-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I still watch my VHS of the George Hearn version quite often.
It's on DVD.

I'll reserve judgment until I see this, but I'm afraid it won't turn out good.
Old 06-14-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
No, this is definitely the Sondheim horror musical being brought to the screen. Several of the articles in the past week have mentioned it, and it has always been the version of the property Burton & Depp were considering.
Good news. I think it gives it a better chance of being successful if they keep it as a musical.

And on a side, it's nice be agreeing with you on something.
Old 06-15-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well this is the one show on Broadway right now that I really want to see...I dont know much about it, but it looks to be really good. I know it will happen, but cant Burton do anything without Depp? He's not right for every role. Im sorry, but Depp is as menacing as a brownie selling cookies. Oh well, we shall see.
Old 06-15-06, 03:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Um, sure Burton can do stuff without Depp. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc. etc.

Burton is an eccentric guy. He likes to reuse people who share his eccentricities.
Old 06-16-06, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Im sorry, but Depp is as menacing as a brownie selling cookies. Oh well, we shall see.
Sweeney Todd isn't really a menacing character. Its much more of a dark comedy than a horror role.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.