Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cruel Intentions appreciation thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got around to this one. i see it all the time on abc family, but never got around to watching the full thing. Just a great movie all around, with every actor at the top of their game. It was funny to see a smart straight A student Tera Reid in a cameo at the begining of the game. And i usually can't stand ryan philipe and reese witherspoon, but they were both tollorable. Didn't they fall for each other in real life around the making of this movie? SMG does a complete 180 from Buffy, and makes it utterly convincing. I assume this movie doesn't get alot of love is the 2 shitty sequels (i was surprised that on the box that Amy Adams, now known for her role in Junebug, as the smg lookalike catherine.) i haven't seen 2 in a while (i liked it back then but i didn't know better... well, the scene with the twins was pretty hot, a bit kinky though), but knowing the ending of 1, how did that one work, what would have been the point?
Old 06-13-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this movie, and it's soundtrack.

-JP
Old 06-13-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
SMG and the Selma Blair liplock session - all that is needed to justify the film's existence.
Old 06-13-06, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this film...but when I saw it in the theater I seem to remember it being different in a couple places. First when Cecile is telling Katharine what happened between her and Sebastian, I remember her saying "he licked the ABCs backwards with his tongue" or something along those lines instead of just whispering in her ear. Also when Katharine and Mrs. Caldwell are in the dress shop or whatever it may be, I remember Katharine saying "poo I forgot my wallet" and then Mrs Caldwell going "well let me get it" and handing Katharine her credit card. I might be crazy but I remember it clear as day. Anyone else know of these?
Old 06-13-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing I remember about this movie is Ryan Phillipe's ass, which is enough for me.
Old 06-13-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Great movie.
Old 06-13-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great movie.....
Old 06-13-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Nice guilty pleasure. I liked it ok in the theaters, but in all honesty it wasn't until I rented the DVD and saw all of the extras that I started to like it. I guess my main reason is that this was the first DVD I rented for my player that had lots of extras and this helped sell me on the format. So it's more about what the movie represents to me as opposed to the movie itself.
Old 06-13-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You see it on abc family all the time?

Wow.
Old 06-13-06, 03:50 PM
Suspended

Some of the scenes are taken out of the ABC family version, as expected.
Old 06-14-06, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I guess I must be one of the few that hated this movie.
Old 06-14-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

S...M...G!!! Drool....
Old 06-14-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the movie alright in spite of the fact that I think SMG gives a really weak performance.

I've seen tons of versions of this. I think the Glenn Close/John Malkovich one is superior to all the others.
Old 06-14-06, 09:48 AM

It's cheesy and predictable but I love the movie and it's soundtrack is one of my favorites. After they edited it for ABC Family it must have been about 20 minutes long!
Old 06-14-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's very good for a first view but doesn't hold too much replay value if you know all the plot twists. The acting was never that great. But it's the hottest Sarah Michelle Gellar's ever been on celluloid.
Old 06-14-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I guess I must be one of the few that hated this movie.
Raises hand. Admittedly, I'm a big fan of the source material, so for me this played out like a horribly adolescent version which I couldn't have cared less for.
Old 06-14-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it better the first time I saw it.....when it was called Valmont.
Old 06-15-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i loved the movie, Sarah Michelle Gellar was so damm sexy. So was the kiss with Selma Blair
Old 06-15-06, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by joefrog91
I liked it better the first time I saw it.....when it was called Valmont.
I liked Valmont......when it was called Dangerous Liaisons.
Old 06-15-06, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Greg613
I agree. I didn't see Cruel Intentions until it came out on video because I didn't see the point of remaking wha tis already a very good movie. While it was alot better than I thought it'd be, it doesn't hold a candle to Dangerous Liaisons.
Old 06-15-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Greg613
I think Valmont was cast a little better than Danerous Liaisons though.
Old 06-15-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could always check out the Korean version as a period piece too... Untold Scandal.
Old 06-15-06, 09:33 PM

When I saw this in the movies I didn't care too much for it. I think the advertising led me to believe this was more of a Basic Instinct sort of thing, though the young/ WB-friendly cast should have tiped me off... but by the time it came out on DVD I wanted to see it again, bought a DVD player the same day I picked it up, and it quickly became my favorite movie, I have no idea why! Well, actually, I think a relationship I was in reminded me of some of the stuff in the movie (yeah my life is screwy) so it was maybe a way of dealing with that... haven't watched it in ages, and even though the initial disc is features-packed, I wouldn't mind another release one of these days. Here's a few random comments from me on the film:
-For the record, since someone mentioned it too, Reese and Ryan were already a couple when they signed on to do this movie (he convinced her), years later it's often assumed they met here.
-Even though the sex and nudity is minimal, the MPAA asked for a cut where Sarah Michelle Gellar, while watching Cecile and her BF, gets fustrated and says "**** her already!"
-Watched this movie once with a friend who missed the beginning, assumed Sebastian and Katherine were really brother and sister (they only establish otherwise once at the beginning), and he watched the whole thing in open-mouth horror (it was too funny to correct him).
-Originally there was going to be a Cruel Intentions TV series (!), and a few episodes were filmed, but the material was too sexual for network TV and it was shelved. Later the footage was cut into a film, with additional nudity filmed to make it marketable, and released on video as Cruel Intentions 2. And yes, the actress who played Katherine was up for an Oscar last year!
-The original script is at http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/c...ntentions.html for anyone who wants to check it out. Haven't had time to read the whole thing but there's lots of differences and it seems racier.
Old 06-15-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-Even though the sex and nudity is minimal, the MPAA asked for a cut where Sarah Michelle Gellar, while watching Cecile and her BF, gets fustrated and says "**** her already!"

that line is still in the movie.
Old 06-15-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
SMG and the Selma Blair liplock session - all that is needed to justify the film's existence.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.