Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"MTV Movie Awards" (2006 Edition)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-08-06, 05:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 334 Likes on 296 Posts

It's on tonight (Thurs. 6/8) from 9pm-11pm.
Anyone watch these? I know they were already given and taped and Access Hollywood, the good reporters they are, already announced many of them on Tuesday i think, but i didn't watch that segment.
I find them quite entertaining. I will tape it and watch over the weekend though.
Old 06-08-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jesus, I had no idea these were on...I need to stop watching everything on dvdr and start watching commercials agan.
Old 06-08-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christian Bale won the Best Hero category, and he sort of rambled on in his normal English accent (kinda thick, actually) in his acceptance speech, and he did assure the audience that there were be more Batman movies (and was appreciative of the audiences taking to the rebirth of Batman on celluloid). He probably does get a kick out of playing Batman/Bruce Wayne in the movies. (and yes, it was cool to have been presented the award by the cast of Superman Returns (Routh, Bosworth, Spacey).
Old 06-08-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this is horrible
Old 06-08-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jessica Alba looked amazing as always, I thought she did a pretty good job in the skits, they just werent well written, I did like the King Kong one though, I thought she was pretty funny. other then that this awards show used to be really good but has gone down hill big time.
Old 06-09-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How cool was that handshake and Christian's jab at Brandon? "Sorry Superman, but Batman's the badass." Nice.
Old 06-09-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
I watched bits and pieces of this last night. It was ok, but not as good as it used to be. I remember the early ones with Dennis Miller...when William Shatner sang the songs for best song from a movie category. That was amazing. Listening to him singing "You Could Be Mine" and that shitty Bryan Adams song from Robin Hood was f'ing hilarious. The skits were not great (although for some reason i found it very funny and cute at the same time when Alba said "Yeah booooiiii" to Flavor Flav). Alba looked hot as usual and i liked the whole Bale acceptance speech. Other than that....not great.
Old 06-09-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't see it, but MTV will repeat it 1000 times.

The opening sketch is usually pretty good.

How many Brokeback jokes were there?
Old 06-09-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pics please of Alba.
Old 06-09-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brokeback Mountain's Jake and Heath: Best Kiss - yes!

Jake Gyllenhaal: Best Performance! I already knew that.

Last edited by Duality; 06-09-06 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kate Beckinsale is unbelievable.

There were a lot of very beautiful women on this show, especially Alba, and she still managed to make them ALL look average by comparison.
Old 06-10-06, 03:01 PM

the show was horrible. The only good part for me was seeing Famke from X-men onstage. I like Jessica but even she couldnt keep me interested
Old 06-10-06, 03:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the King Kong skit, mainly because Alba gave a surprisingly good comedic performance there (surprising because I've never seen her do comedy). And of course she looked fantastic.

The MI3 skit, well, everyone involved gave it their best... but it was horribly written. Seriously, "pee pee" in a squirt gun? Did a 3rd grader write that? Da Vinci Code skit could have had promise, but it was just a bunch of random unfunny jokes.

Most of the presenters' banter was awful. Half the bits were so unfunny even the presenters didn't even get the joke. Samuel L's Snakes on a Plane thing was amusing, though. The awards/categories themselves always feel odd because some of those movies seem REALLY old already.

Gnarls Barkley performance was cool, I wonder if they had to get permission to use the Star Wars outfits? AFI is awful... I felt like a Hot Topic store exploded on stage. Christina was actually entertaining, I like her doing that style of music.

Best part of the show IMO was Will Ferrell's intro to Jim Carrey. About giving Dame Judi Dench an award: "I'd just as soon give a virginity award... to a whore."
Old 06-10-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I liked the King Kong skit, mainly because Alba gave a surprisingly good comedic performance there (surprising because I've never seen her do comedy). And of course she looked fantastic.

The MI3 skit, well, everyone involved gave it their best... but it was horribly written. Seriously, "pee pee" in a squirt gun? Did a 3rd grader write that? Da Vinci Code skit could have had promise, but it was just a bunch of random unfunny jokes.

Most of the presenters' banter was awful. Half the bits were so unfunny even the presenters didn't even get the joke. Samuel L's Snakes on a Plane thing was amusing, though. The awards/categories themselves always feel odd because some of those movies seem REALLY old already.

Gnarls Barkley performance was cool, I wonder if they had to get permission to use the Star Wars outfits? AFI is awful... I felt like a Hot Topic store exploded on stage. Christina was actually entertaining, I like her doing that style of music.

Best part of the show IMO was Will Ferrell's intro to Jim Carrey. About giving Dame Judi Dench an award: "I'd just as soon give a virginity award... to a whore."

yeah i was suprised too with the king kong skit, She handled the comedy pretty good, She should do some more comedys she might be pretty good
Old 06-11-06, 12:33 AM

Can some one please tell me what song was playing in the backround when Mr. & Mrs. Smith was announced for Best Kiss? This is driving me nuts! Thanks!
Old 06-11-06, 09:35 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 334 Likes on 296 Posts
i think from what i have seen, this is an awful show. the writing is horrible. i mean the internet skit with Google to open with the guy from SNL? it was so bad and not funny at all. and the presenters with their schtick is so off and unfunny. this is not one of the better shows save for Gnarls Barkley performance. that just rocked and i am starting to love "Crazy" .
Old 06-11-06, 10:03 AM
Banned

it was a shitty show; you can see the whole thing on mtv.com; the skits were awful and by and large i was disappointed.
Old 06-11-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

samuel l. jackson's bit about SoaP was pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coiwZxuBW78
Old 06-11-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tripleeric1
Can some one please tell me what song was playing in the backround when Mr. & Mrs. Smith was announced for Best Kiss? This is driving me nuts! Thanks!
Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know"

I missed it, but MTV Overdrive (their online broadband thing) has the whole show up. I can skip most of it, which is very nice, but they kept showing the same stupid annoying Pontiac commerical in between every other video, which drove me nuts.