Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that didn't deserve an R rating

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that didn't deserve an R rating

Old 06-15-06, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmal2003
I know things have changed but Psycho was the first movie that came to mind.

I don't think the ratings existed in 1960?
Old 06-15-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Palpadious
I don't think the ratings existed in 1960?
They started in 1968.
Old 06-15-06, 09:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
History of the MPAA

"After WWI, there was increased pressure from the public to institute some type of censorship or government regulations. A lot of this was due to the public's conception of a wild and scandalous Hollywood, after the unsolved murder of director William Desmond Taylor and a starlet after an orgy involving Fatty Arbuckle.

By the early 20s, 8 states and several cities passed their own censorship laws.

In 1922, to avoid government involvement, the Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America hired Will H. Hays, who had been the Postermaster General and was President Warren G. Harding's brilliant campaign manager.

Temporarily this settled the public outcry, but after several years of no real change, the public began to again apply pressure for change. In 1930, the Hays office introduced the Motion Picture Production Code listing all the things that could not be shown or implied.

Still nothing changed, so in 1932 a resolution was introduced into the U.S. Senate to investigate the motion picture industry.

While the investigation started putting pressure on the industry, in 1934, the Catholic Church formed the Legion of Decency to boycott any film that didn't use the Production Code as a guideline.

Finally, the MPPDA gave in. A Code Seal was developed and the members of the MPPDA agreed not to release or distribute any film that didn't carry that seal. A $25,000 penalty was institued for any picture that did not receive the Code Seal.

This provided a self censorship that eliminated the public outcries for many years.

In 1945, Hays retired and handed the reigns over to a former head of the United States Chamber of Commerce, Eric Johnston. Shortly after the name was changed to the Motion Picture Association of America"
Old 06-15-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how about movies that didnt' deserve their NC-17/x rating.
I'd put the original cut of american pie on the list. apparently it took several tries to get the movie an r rating. And the mpaa wouldn't let the line "hey stiffler, hows the man chowder" into the movie, even in an NC-17/unrated cut.
Also, Bad Liutenant is currently NC-17, and think that the rating is too high. granted, i can see why the mpaa was upset at the time (the rape of the nun, harvey kietel nude/jerking off in front of the girls), but by todays standards of what the mpaa allows today, its somewhat tame.
Old 06-15-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,065 Likes on 844 Posts
The Matrix - Wasn't all that violent, wasn't all the vulgar, and was sex-free.

Dark City - Some slightly mutilated titties.

City of Lost Children - Something about highly stylized Scifi gets R-ratings.

Run Lola Run - Don't recall that much swearing, could be wrong.

No Man's Land (2001) - Same with Lola, don't recall a whole lot of violence either.

Kind of on the border with V for Vendetta as well.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-15-06 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-15-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 128 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
how about movies that didnt' deserve their NC-17/x rating.
Whore (1991)

I thought the sequel was the one that deserved the rating.
Old 01-19-07, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How about the movie Match Point? Why in the hell is that rated R? All violence is off screen, the worst word is like damn and hell, and the sex in the movie is no worse then a typical episode of Desperate Housewifes or Grey's Anatomy.
Old 01-19-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Romy & Michele's High School Reunion
Old 01-19-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought a UK 15 for Matrix was about right.
The 12 rating for Terminator 3 was ridiculous - 4 uses of the word "fuck" at least, even if the violence is mostly cyborg on cyborg.
Old 01-19-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was very surprised that Waiting for Guffman was rated R. Very clean film actually. There's just one part where a guy is auditioning. He's quoting a movie and drops the F bomb a couple of times. Was absolutely hilarious just because of how random it was, but that gave it an R, ridiculous...

EDIT: In regards to Psycho, it was originally rated "M" in 1968 and re-rated to "R" in 1984. Yeah, stupid...
Old 01-19-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
The Matrix - Wasn't all that violent....
The Matrix may not have been that gory, but it was certainly very violent. The lobby scene by itself was probably enough to earn this an R.

And that's okay for a 6-year-old to see how?

City of Lost Children - Something about highly stylized Scifi gets R-ratings.
This film actually has a brief scene where it shows a bunch of naked women fleeing a burlesque theater. It's so brief that a lot of people even forget about it later on, but it's there.

Run Lola Run - Don't recall that much swearing, could be wrong.
I don't remember this film well enough to recall the swearing, but I found this online:

"If anyone shares my trepidation about what might be found in a 15-rated film, don't worry - I'm sure it would have been a PG but for the swearing."
http://www.lovefilm.com/visitor/prod...-Lola-Run.html

No Man's Land (2001) - Same with Lola, don't recall a whole lot of violence either.
I do recall this one well enough to say that there was probably enough swearing to make it an R film. Add to that the fairly intense violence that occasionally occurs, and the R rating seems fairly justified.
Old 01-19-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lost In Translation could've certainly gotten a PG-13 had the brief strip club scene been taken out.

Also agree on Match Point, that movie was tamer than most James Bond flicks.
Old 01-19-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
This film actually has a brief scene where it shows a bunch of naked women fleeing a burlesque theater. It's so brief that a lot of people even forget about it later on, but it's there.
But is that so bad that the R is justified. Absolutely not.
Old 01-19-07, 02:27 PM

Definitely Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

In my opinion, one that should have gotten an R and didn't was Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
Old 01-19-07, 03:10 PM

Paris, Texas by Wim Wenders was rated R for no apparent reason. There is one f-bomb that most people don't even notice when they watch it (I had to go back and watch the scene again to notice it). Maybe it's just the fact of the location of the last 30-40 minutes is kind of odd and might raise questions for young children, and the themes are kind of mature. I don't know - I'm trying to come up with anything to rationalize that rating.
Old 01-19-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I still don't see why Amelie deserved an "R" rating.

Sure, there's a brief "orgasm counting" scene (thirteen!) and a scene set in a sex shop, but both are pretty silly and harmless.
Old 01-19-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunde
But is that so bad that the R is justified[?] Absolutely not.
You're right. The MPAA says it was rated R for "disturbing and grotesque images of violence and menace."

Spoiler:
Most likely the harpoon through the midget lady near the end where she also spits out blood. Also, the killings by the blind man while drugged was pretty intense. Add One's attempted murder of Miet while drugged, and the flashback to how the scientist ended up on the submarine and you've got a good amount of intense violence, some graphic.
Old 01-19-07, 05:12 PM

I love Planes, Trains, and Automobiles but you can't tell me you expect any movie that contains that many f-bombs to not get an R rating. Even if they are all in one scene and the rest of the movie is relatively tame.

I can't think of any specific movies that unjustly received an R rating, but I would imagine many would have come before the PG-13 rating was put into effect.
Old 01-19-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Vanishing Point(1971) does not deserve the R rating it received when resubmitted today. It's now R for sexuality/nudity and drug use. But it was originally GP/PG until recently.

The only sex scene is a tastefully done flashback that's very brief and no real nudity is glimpsed since it's in silouette,and basically is like something that is shown on soaps and dramas on network tv uncut.

There is an brief attempted rape flashback with breasts briefly glimpsed,but it's not strong enough to warant an R in my opinion. Without the breast glimpses,it's something that could easily and sometimes is shown on tv with attempted rapes.

There is a nude woman riding a motorcycle that has a lengthy sequence. But it's just mostly breasts and side nudity glimpsed,and is nonsexual anyway. So I don't see anything 'offensive' about it to warrant an R.

And the 'drug use' is nothing but pill popping mainly,and it's not like you see him popping pills 24/7. And it's not like he's shooting up heroine and sniffing coke. Heck when I saw the film and saw the R rating,I was wondering "What drug use?". Meanwhile in the extended UK version which adds one extra scene,there is some pot smoking. But I don't see why that would warrant an R either since it's so briefly shown. Especially if cigarettes are allowed in various ratings(and we know how unhealthy cigs are!). Seeing someone smoke a joint is not that 'wow,that's totally offensive and taboo!!!!".

I think a PG-13 is quite appropriate for the film considering the previous PG rating. R is way too harsh for the film that is quite tame.

As for Psycho and The Birds. I think Psycho deserves a PG-13 today,while The Birds should be PG instead of PG-13. Sure The Birds has some intense moments and one brief glimpse of a dead person with no eyes. But the film is not violent or intense enough,or graphic enough to warrant a PG-13 in my opinion. Especially considering how scary and intense some scenes in The Lion King are,and yet it's rated G!

And since I don't really believe in the NC-17 rating with how easily the MPAA gives that to various films. The majority of films that get that rating,I think deserved R's in uncut form.

And isn't it ironic how it seems a glimpse of nudity(er,mostly breasts in most cases) is enough to warrant an R,TV-MA rating,and yet more and more intense violence is being allowed through with lower ratings?

I am still shocked by how graphic the CSI shows are and yet they're only rated TV-14,despite the disturbing subject matter and scenes. Meanwhile you can bet,that IF there was a glimpse of a nipple in the show,the rating would be TV-MA! Something is seriously wrong with this picture,and yet people wonder why the world is so fucked up.

While I don't believe the media 'causes' violence in reality too happen. Since if it didn't exist,sick shit would still be going on,because some people are just fucked up. But with how tolerant we are to various forms of violence in the media,and how sheltered we are regarding simple nudity or sexuality. It's no surprise people think violence is the answer too most problems,while nudity is 'filthy/dirty' and should be brushed under the rug.
Old 01-20-07, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm glad someone else brought up Amelie. I think I remember Roger Ebert complaining about this one as well. It's too bad because there are so many people out there that get hung up on ratings, and won't go see an R rated movie just because it's R rated, and they don't find out what the actual content is.
Old 01-20-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I still don't see why Amelie deserved an "R" rating.

Sure, there's a brief "orgasm counting" scene (thirteen!) and a scene set in a sex shop, but both are pretty silly and harmless.
There's also the birth of Amelie scene. But your post reminded me of one of the TV spots on the DVD.

[feelgood voice]
She'll make you laugh.
She'll make you cry.
She'll make you feel fantastic.

Discover the magic that is Amelie.
[/feelgood voice]

[deep serious voice]
RATED R!
[/deep serious voice]
Old 01-21-07, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Dark City have some nudity. Remember the blonde chick from the automat? Melissa George's titties, that is.
Old 01-21-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get the whole "2 or 3 words, and it gets an R" thing. A few F bombs isn't a big deal. That movie Hero has at least 10, and somehow got away with a PG-13, and certainly seems like a PG-13. Romy and Michele's High School Reunion was R, but totally feels PG-13, too. Take away the few F words, and it's less offensive than some Adam Sandler movies. I also can't imagine RAMHSR being released today, and not being PG-13. They'd edit out all the F words, except probably, Mira Sorvino's towards the end.

Last edited by Yeti4623; 01-21-07 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-21-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This topic reminds me of the MPAA story on the "Bring it on" commentary.

Fun times.
Old 01-21-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised that so many people are up in arms over The Matrix getting an R. It's a really violent movie. Tons of people get shot in it and literally they shot thousands of bullets.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.