Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that didn't deserve an R rating

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that didn't deserve an R rating

Old 06-09-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wedding Crashers.. I didn;t realize it was R until they mentioned it on the MTV music awards.. sure it has cursing and boobage in it, but still... seems like there should be something in between PG-13 and R for a ton of movies on this list
Old 06-09-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 315 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Palpadious
What movies have you seen that didn't warrant an R rating? For me it's the original Matrix. They don't say fuck, there is hardly any blood or gore, and it didn't have any sex. It could have easily gotten a PG-13 rating.

I would say the 2 and 3 also. I watched them and thought the same thing, why are these R rated.
Old 06-09-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Wedding Crashers.. I didn;t realize it was R until they mentioned it on the MTV music awards.. sure it has cursing and boobage in it, but still... seems like there should be something in between PG-13 and R for a ton of movies on this list
According the kids-in-mind website this movie contains 25 F-words, not to mention the "boobage" and numerous sexual scenes. Everyone knows that is plenty to deserve the R rating.
Old 06-09-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know things have changed but Psycho was the first movie that came to mind.
Old 06-09-06, 02:13 PM
Banned

The reason the "Matrix" films are rated R is because the MPAA has some sort of issue about people getting kicked in the face. Seriously, I'm not making that up. You can shoot someone in the face and get a PG or a PG-13 but you kick them in the face and you get an R.

I vote for "Army of Darkness". That's a PG-13 film if I ever saw one but the MPAA was unfair to Raimi after he rejected the X ratings for "The Evil Dead" and "Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn". They did the same thing with "ED2", which was shot for an R but got an X (and went out unrated).

If you ask me, the ratings the trilogy deserved are X, R and PG-13 but the MPAA gave them X, X and R.
Old 06-09-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
The reason the "Matrix" films are rated R is because the MPAA has some sort of issue about people getting kicked in the face. Seriously, I'm not making that up. You can shoot someone in the face and get a PG or a PG-13 but you kick them in the face and you get an R.

I vote for "Army of Darkness". That's a PG-13 film if I ever saw one but the MPAA was unfair to Raimi after he rejected the X ratings for "The Evil Dead" and "Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn". They did the same thing with "ED2", which was shot for an R but got an X (and went out unrated).

If you ask me, the ratings the trilogy deserved are X, R and PG-13 but the MPAA gave them X, X and R.
I agree, Army of Darkness had like Monty Python violence in it...
Old 06-09-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taa455
According the kids-in-mind website this movie contains 25 F-words, not to mention the "boobage" and numerous sexual scenes. Everyone knows that is plenty to deserve the R rating.

Everyone knows that?
Old 06-12-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Considering the episode I referenced aired on UPN almost five years ago and the DVD of the entire season have been out for almost half the time, if not more, I don't consider it a spoiler anymore (as I am sure most other Buffy fans don't either).
You know usually I agree, I know I'm VERY late in catching up, and I do my best to avoid any thread that might have spoilers since it's on me to understand that. But a "Movies that didn't deserve an R rating" thread seemed like a pretty safe bet. And what's this "we" shit, that "we" don't consider it a major spoiler, who decides?. Just throwing out examples of what happened in other series randomly as a comparison would make anybody catching up with any series spoiled. I'm done with this and don't want to kick this off topic anymore, I'm just surprised that with the pretty high standard for this board to help out avoiding spoilers that it seemed the prevailing thought is that old spoilers are acceptable.
Old 06-12-06, 12:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
surprisingly 'head butting' is also quite frowned upon from the British Board Film Certificate - the scene in 'Attack of the Clones' where Jango head butt's Obi Wan - is actually deleted from the UK theatrical prints.
Old 06-12-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 128 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
surprisingly 'head butting' is also quite frowned upon from the British Board Film Certificate - the scene in 'Attack of the Clones' where Jango head butt's Obi Wan - is actually deleted from the UK theatrical prints.
So uhhh....As for as X-Men 3 goes:
Spoiler:
How does the Iceman/Pyro fight end?
Old 06-12-06, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
So uhhh....As for as X-Men 3 goes:
Spoiler:
How does the Iceman/Pyro fight end?
well aparently, the BBFC gave the film a 12A rating, stipulating that no one under 12 admitted unless accompanied by an adult - the film (and scene) was not cut.
Old 06-12-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Since Planes, Trains & Automobiles is so tame for 99% of the movie, I kind of feel the infamous "F-bomb scene" should only make it PG-13 at the most. That language is heard in other PG-13 films.

And there are plenty of films more violent/intense/mature than the Matrix which never received an R rating: Jaws has more blood and even a decapitated head for goodness sakes! The Ring is way too intense for some kids. The second and third Austin Powers really pushes the limits on what kind of jokes can appear in a PG-13 film.
Old 06-12-06, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision

And there are plenty of films more violent/intense/mature than the Matrix which never received an R rating: Jaws has more blood and even a decapitated head for goodness sakes!
Spielberg been known to push the envelope: Temple of the Doom had some poor soul get slowly crisped and dissolved in lava. shish-ka-bob to the chest, the infamous heart pull.

even the PG rated Dragonslayer had some pretty gory scenes - the foot removal from the body of the Princess, the burning of the priest and brief nudity.
Old 06-12-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 128 Likes on 110 Posts
One R-rating that always puzzled me was for Way of the Dragon (aka Return of the Dragon) I used to watch it over and over to see why it was given this rating. For the longest time, I just always assumed it was just for the snapping of a neck!
It wasn't untill I finally the uncut version (Via Region 2) that there's actually a topless shot in it. Maybe the MPAA saw this version and gave the edited cut an R-rating!

Originally Posted by rennervision
The second and third Austin Powers really pushes the limits on what kind of jokes can appear in a PG-13 film.
Finally glad someone mentioned this. The AP movies are more raunchier than the "R-rated" Deliver us from Eva, which I called out on page 1.

Originally Posted by Giles
even the PG rated Dragonslayer had some pretty gory scenes - the foot removal from the body of the Princess, the burning of the priest and brief nudity.
Other PG's that surprised me:
Born Losers has a rape scene (Though not entirely graphic) but we see the nude victim getting slapped around. Also a bullet-shot to the head (I always thought a bullet-shot to the head always generated an automatic "R")

The PG-13 rated, The Last Emperor has 2 of these (Both quite graphic) and 3 boobage shots. I thought that exceeded the limit!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 06-12-06 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Other PG's that surprised me:
Born Losers has a rape scene (Though not entirely graphic) but we see the nude victim getting slapped around. Also a bullet-shot to the head (I always thought a bullet-shot to the head always generated an automatic "R")

The PG-13 rated, The Last Emperor has 2 of these (Both quite graphic) and 3 boobage shots. I thought that exceeded the limit!
I thought the rape scene in the PG rated Billy Jack was quite offensive and over the top.
Old 06-12-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Everyone knows that?
Yeah, people should know that 25 f-bombs garner an R rating every time, on the basis of the MPAA's history. If you are arguing the MPAA should change/relax their standards, that's another discussion.
Old 06-12-06, 02:32 PM

Yeah, people should know that 25 f-bombs garner an R rating every time, on the basis of the MPAA's history. If you are arguing the MPAA should change/relax their standards, that's another discussion.
I find it amazing how fickle and easily offendible the film board (comprised of parents) is, some movie they let slide in terms of language, violence, sex, yet with other's they really give a hard time

shameless promotion:

remember to see

This Film Is Not Yet Rated

Coming From IFC Films Sept. 6th (Limited Release)
Old 06-13-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so is there a hard and fast rule about that? 25 f-bombs. bad.. 12 f-bombs. ok......13 f-bombs bad
Old 06-13-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 231 Likes on 165 Posts
so is there a hard and fast rule about that? 25 f-bombs. bad.. 12 f-bombs. ok......13 f-bombs bad
If I recall correctly a PG13 may have 2-3 f words if they are not used in a sexual context.

Given LOTR's PG-13 ratings, I believe violence against monsters/aliens is looked at differently than cops being riddled with bullets as in the Matrix.
Old 06-14-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
It also depends on the "tone" of the film- Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer got an X rating partly because of "moral tone", since it didn't really tell the audience that the violence was wrong.

Usually saying the F-word more than 3 times is an automatic R, even if it's not in a sexual manner, but I don't know why All The President's Men has that word many more times than that but is rated PG (there was no PG-13 yet.) What the fuck makes that word so much fucking worse?
Old 06-14-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Planes, Trains & Automobiles instantly comes into mind.
Old 06-14-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Army of Darkness is really the only movie I can think of that should have gotten a lower rating. That should have been a soft PG-13. There one f-bomb, a handful of mild profanities, and some mild, mostly comedic violence. I can think of PG movies with more objectionable content. Like Beastmaster and Spaceballs. Beastmaster came out before the PG-13, but with the all the violence (child sacrifice?!) and boobage that had to be pushing an R. Spaceballs, on the other hand, was made during the PG-13 era and somehow got away with an f-bomb, tons of profanity throughout, sex jokes, and assorted violence. And while we're at it, let's not forgot Yellowbeard, which still holds the record for most rape jokes in a motion picture.
Old 06-15-06, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've noticed a double standard when it comes to Asian films. The original Ring received an "R" while the remake got a "PG-13". If anything, I would think it'd be the other way around.
Old 06-15-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Friday the 13th part 7. Okay, maybe not, but still, was there even a drop of blood in that film? Not that they're high art, but for the reputation they have for being bloody is generally overstated (lately they've gotten more so). I think there was more gore in the first episode of "Lost" than in Friday the 13th parts 6-8 combined. Part seven seems like something they could show on TV unaltered and not have a problem with it these days.
Old 06-15-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On the Frequency audio commentary, the filmmakers discussed how they avoided getting an R rating, even though they had an "F word." I remember them saying that you can at least have one free "F word," but it couldn't be used in a violent context, i.e. "I'm gonna slit his fucking throat!," screamed by a hostage taker could get an R rating, according to what they were saying, even if it was the only use of the word. Multiple "F words" in any context will almost always get the R, as we've seen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.