Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Omen" out 6/6/6 - Reviews

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"The Omen" out 6/6/6 - Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched the film. It was good. I liked it. Of course, it's not the same caliber as the original but still a good remake. I liked the whole pacing of the movie, cinematography, nice score but I really didnt care about "dream sequences" because they were predictable and not scary. They were cheap "scares". Still, I would like to see if Hollywood wants to make OMEN II and beyond. If this movie will make at least 50 million then we definately getting the second movie.

666 out of 10
Old 06-07-06, 03:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

thought it was a good, solid, well made remake. Creepy and well acted with substance and story over special effects. did you guys like that "mr. Preisdent" was holding hands with you know who at the end?
Old 06-07-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
thought it was a good, solid, well made remake. Creepy and well acted with substance and story over special effects. did you guys like that "mr. Preisdent" was holding hands with you know who at the end?
Isn't that how the original one ended too? I'm pretty sure it is.

Anyway, I'm on the fence about seeing this. But since it's doing so great at the box-office (so far), I'm sure they'll do an "Omen II". Now that one has just GOT to be better than the original. Man did that stink! "The Final Conflict" was much much better (IMO).
Old 06-07-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Check this out:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
Old 06-07-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's how the original one ended.
Old 06-07-06, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
if true, that is completely f*ked up!
Old 06-08-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Saw it. Thought it was well paced, but poorly acted. I am sure Fox re-made this movie just so they could release it on 6/6/06, and I am sure they thought it would be clever to cast Mia Farrow as Damien's nanny as well. (She was Rosemary in Rosemary's Baby, get it?!?) Yes, we do. Mia Farrow's acting has always annoyed me, having her go alongside Julia Stiles is a double whammy from, well, hell.

My only hope is that if they re-make the sequels they get someone with a little more finesse to play the older Damien. That kid seemed to have bratty confused with evil. Also, the look he gave me at the end almost seemed like a big "fuck you" to the audience as opposed to something creepy. In all honesty, he seemed more like South Park's Damien than the original. It's like he was smirking at us for wasting two hours of our life (or close to that) with this movie in that last shot. Didn't pay money, used a free ticket from the Regal Crown Club.

All in all, I say stop the re-makes now, before it's too late!

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 06-08-06 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie sucked. I am not even going to waste my time telling you all why I thought it sucked. It was pretty much a shot-by-shot remake with a less than stellar cast and an even less talented crew. I am seriously beginning to think that maybe the Dawn of the Dead and Hills Have Eyes remakes were just flukes.

What pissed me off the most is that the 9/11 (and other disasters) reference was just downright fucking tasteless. I can take it in a film like Final Destination 3 where the entire point of the flick is to be as mean spirited and tasteless as one can be, but not in a flick that tries to take itself seriously.
Old 06-08-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by whynotsmile
Except for Julia Stiles who wasn't very convincing as a mother, I agree with you. It wasn't great, but I enjoyed it and appreciated that they took the subject matter so seriously. I think this is one of the better remakes.

Still, as good as it was, nothing was as good as the trailer for Borat before the movie. I can't wait for that one.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-08-06 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

What pissed me off the most is that the 9/11 (and other disasters) reference was just downright fucking tasteless. I can take it in a film like Final Destination 3 where the entire point of the flick is to be as mean spirited and tasteless as one can be, but not in a flick that tries to take itself seriously.
Why was it tasteless? It was just something they used briefly to illustrate a point. Granted, I thought the movie stunk but it seems like you have a double standard.
Old 06-09-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Why was it tasteless? It was just something they used briefly to illustrate a point. Granted, I thought the movie stunk but it seems like you have a double standard.
Double standard, yes. But both films portrayed the events of said day in a pretty shitty light. However, neither films used it to really portray a point.

It was out of place and tacky the way they presented 9/11 in Final Destination 3. However, I wasn't going to complain as I wasn't expecting anything less out of that film other than trash (and the filmmakers luckilly know that as well). I'm not okay in using the events of a recent tragedy in such a manner, but I'm not going to start a shitfest.

The Omen presents itself as serious filmmaking -- which it isn't. To use 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina references in that manner is just tacky and downright insulting. That right there is worse than how Final Destination 3 portrayed the event.
Old 06-09-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it was 'offensive' that they briefly showcased those events. Since the film is supposed to take place in the present in 'reality' where those events really happened. Thus since the films all about the end of the world armageddon. It perfectly fits in with the theme that the world is falling apart and evil is attacking at every chance and continues to escalate until it wins.

And some conspiracy theorists/religous 'believer's do look at huge tragedies as 'evidence' the 'devil exists' and the 'world is ending,look at the signs!'. So since the film deals with religous terror,I see no point in not using those events in some context.
Old 06-10-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Would I have liked this film if they beefed up the characters of the parents more? Probably. As-is, tonally the film is good, not great, and the energy level is a little off. The updates of the interpretation/meaning of the signs from the disasters of the past 30 years lend a little more "scare" cred into the biblical mythology, but in another 30 years, will there just just a many horrific disasters that could be interpreted yet again as the signs for the coming of the beast?

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 06-10-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Another useless duplicate of a much better film.

I give it 0.666 star.
Old 06-10-06, 11:06 PM
Banned

The music score and sound effects were very good.
It was a so-so movie and I would not buy the dvd.
I would rather watch the old one again.
Old 06-10-06, 11:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I saw a matinee showing of this today and was not impressed at all. Pointless remake to coincide with a 6/6/6 release date.
Old 06-10-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anybody else laugh at the puppets looking at the first nanny during Damien's birthday?

I was laughing for like 5 minutes after that. Freakin' hysterical.

The decapitation scene was AWESOME!
Old 06-12-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Calling 6:59AM "6AM" is a bit of a stretch.
Old 06-12-06, 11:59 PM

I hate Marco Beltami! First he ruins the Terminator music in T3, now this. I loved the originals haunting chants.

I thought the movie was great. I was creeped out and anybody who hasn't seen the original would be really freaked. Of course it wasn't as good as the original, but the original has the luxury of being original. I do wish the ending were different.

The deceptive priest that convinces ambassador to take the child as his own looks freaky towards the end. The impaling, the decapitation were awesome. Only problem is we were expecting them.

Add this to the list of remakes/re-envisionings I've enjoyed: War of the Worlds, The Hills have Eyes, Dawn of the Dead (best remake ever), Night of the Living Dead (savini's version had a cooool ending),
Old 06-14-06, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I just got back and I dug the film. I think I saw the original years ago but I really liked this re-make.
Old 06-14-06, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Did anybody else laugh at the puppets looking at the first nanny during Damien's birthday?

I was laughing for like 5 minutes after that. Freakin' hysterical.
Agreed.
Old 06-14-06, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I don't think it was 'offensive' that they briefly showcased those events. Since the film is supposed to take place in the present in 'reality' where those events really happened. Thus since the films all about the end of the world armageddon. It perfectly fits in with the theme that the world is falling apart and evil is attacking at every chance and continues to escalate until it wins.

And some conspiracy theorists/religous 'believer's do look at huge tragedies as 'evidence' the 'devil exists' and the 'world is ending,look at the signs!'. So since the film deals with religous terror,I see no point in not using those events in some context.

Well said. It made perfect sense in the context of the prophecies and the updating of the film. I wasn't offended by seeing the towers but the 1st thought that came to mind was, "Uh oh. This is gonna offend someone".
Old 06-21-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw it this past weekend and would give it a "C".

The performances by Mia Farrow, David Thewlis, Pete Postlethwait were strong while the leads Liev Schriber (who I usually like) and Julia Stiles were bland.
Old 06-22-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't - and don't want to - see this movie, but judging from the TV Spots that aired, they show Damien with a more conscious sense of his Evil, while in the original, he was much more innocent in his unconscious doings - controlled with sheer will by Mrs. Baylock (like when Katherine fell from the rafters).

Damien didn't become aware of who he was until the sequel - Damien: Omen II.
Old 06-23-06, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I didn't - and don't want to - see this movie, but judging from the TV Spots that aired, they show Damien with a more conscious sense of his Evil, while in the original, he was much more innocent in his unconscious doings - controlled with sheer will by Mrs. Baylock (like when Katherine fell from the rafters).

Damien didn't become aware of who he was until the sequel - Damien: Omen II.

I got the vibe that he's "aware of something" but he probably doesn't understand it at this point. I think he's "aware" of those out to harm him and those who "get it" or are on to him. Other than that he's just a weird kid.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.