Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Prairie Home Companion (Robert Altman): Reviews, thoughts, etc...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-05-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Official Web Site

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 80% (so far)

IMDB Link

Release Date - 6/9/06

I don't know about any of you guys, but I've been a fan of the radio show for years and years (click here to go and listen to shows) so I've really been looking forward to this film. It only makes me even more excited that Robert Altman is directing it. I've read some really good things about it and over at IMDB it's already got a solid score. Have any of you guys seen it yet?

"For those, me included, who used to think of Keillor's radio program as tepid, self-indulgent, repetitive and flat, you might even call it a revelation. Take a swig of this moonshine. There's magic in it." -- Peter Travers, ROLLING STONE
"Rib-ticklingly funny at times and genial as all get-out." -- Todd McCarthy, VARIETY
Garrison Keillor, impresario, creator and host of one of radio's longest running programs -- 31 years and counting -- and director Robert Altman are a match made in heaven." -- Kirk Honeycutt, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER
"Altman's graceful camera, the movement of characters across the frame, and the overlapping voices collectively evoke a genial sense of place." -- Ed Gonzalez, SLANT MAGAZINE
"More in the vein of The Company than Nashville, this look at the long-running radio show is modest and laid back but enjoyable due to the acting and singing of a stellar ensemble headed by Meryl Streep, Lily Tomlin, Woody Harrelson and Kevin Kline." -- Emanuel Levy, EMANUELLEVY.COM
"Keillor's fans will probably consider the film a masterwork, while Altman's people will file it away as one of the director's average efforts." -- Eric D. Snider, ERICDSNIDER.COM

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 06-06-06 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-06-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 507 Likes on 332 Posts
I haven't been out to see a movie in the theaters since January. I am eagarly awaiting going to see this on Friday. A big fan of Altman and Keillor.
Old 06-06-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a big fan of Altman but I couldn't care less about Keillor. I'll probably see it but I'm not expecting much.
Old 06-06-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lindsay Lohan was on Letterman last night pimping for this film, and she had mentioned that Altman introduced her to P.T. Anderson as being his backup in case he died while filming this movie. It sounded morbid, but at least Altman had a good sense of humor about his advancing age.
Old 06-06-06, 12:56 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Lindsay Lohan was on Letterman last night pimping for this film, and she had mentioned that Altman introduced her to P.T. Anderson as being his backup in case he died while filming this movie. It sounded morbid, but at least Altman had a good sense of humor about his advancing age.
Yep - I was actually on the set while filming was going on and P.T. Anderson was overseeing much of the production.

I'm going to an advance screening of this on Thursday.
Old 06-06-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I've always enjoyed APHC, but I've never really watched a lot of Altman. I just hope the tone is the same as Keillor's stories always were.
Old 06-06-06, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant wait for this!
Old 06-06-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a big enough fan to go see ANYTHING Altman has done, but he doesn't hit them all out of the park. I doubt this will be another 'OC And Stiggs' or 'Beyond Therapy', but it does look AWFULLY whimsical. Possibly more 'Dr. T And The Women' (which I thought was harmless, but forgettable) than 'The Company' (which I loved).

I'm going in with severe resevations (I don't hate Lindsay Lohan quite as much as I do Neve Campbell, but I'm not exactly what you'd call a fan, either), but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-09-06, 08:50 AM

I saw a screening of this yesterday and enjoyed it a great deal. There are fantastic musical numbers, it has a great sense of humor and just a good overall aura about itself. FYI...I can be seen mingling with a crowd outside the theatre in the opening minutes.

Ebert's 4-star review here: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...VIEWS/60606001
Old 06-09-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dug up from my SXSW thread:

I headed out to the Paramount for the last screening of opening night. Since the Paramount is gigantic, I had no trouble securing a seat (even though it was an uncomfortable one in the balcony). Matt Dentler, producer of the SXSW festival came out at around the 9:15 starting time to introduce John C. Reilly and some crew members, who in turn spoke a few words then proceeded to introduce the film that we were going to see, the North American premiere of Robert Altman's A Prairie Home Companion. It's only screened one other time; back in February at the Berlin Film Festival.

The film was a wonderful work reminiscent of Altman's earlier films. The ensemble cast was absolutely amazing, especially Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin. Lily was in Austin a few weeks ago doing an autograph signing, but I missed her because I overslept...and I couldn't be more aggravated with myself. But, I digress. If you enjoyed Streep and Tomlin's presentation at last week's Academy Awards, you'll absolutely adore the way they play off of each other in this film. And don't lose faith in me for saying this, but Lindsay Lohan, for the first time in her career, seemed to belong up there on the screen. Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly played off of one another about as well as Streep and Tomlin, and Virginia Madsen and Kevin Kline had this mysterious and appealing chemistry throughout. Great performances from a great cast.

The screenplay of the movie held within itself a certain mystique, and Altman's work give the movie a lovable authenticity. To paraphrase a line from the film, as I watched these characters on-screen, I felt as if I actually knew them. The blend of drama and steady-handed comedic pacing was spot on. All told, the film was an absolute delight. I've seen exactly one movie at this year's South by Southwest Film Festival, and truth be told, I think it's going to be hard to top.
Old 06-09-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 181 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 06-09-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 173 Posts
So while this is a Robert Altman movie, or credite as such, would it safe to assume that P.T. Anderson had a lot of input and in an indirect way this could be one of his films as well? Both Altman and Anderson have similar styles, so it would be hard to distinguish.
Old 06-09-06, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So while this is a Robert Altman movie, or credite as such, would it safe to assume that P.T. Anderson had a lot of input and in an indirect way this could be one of his films as well? Both Altman and Anderson have similar styles, so it would be hard to distinguish.
P.T. Anderson was a safety net and offered some input. However, I can attest to the notion that Mr. Altman was calling the shots.
Old 06-09-06, 08:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am so here for this one-
Going Saturday

Altman- Great director
Prairie home- Hear it each week on NPR- Thanks to Sirius
Kevin Kline- Great actor
Meryl Streep- Great Actress
Lily Tomlin- Excellent in all she does, 9-5, 1 woman show, shrinking woman, Ernestine, etc.etc.

can't wait