Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arthur Widmer, inventor of blue screen technology, dies at 92

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From CNN:

Special effects pioneer dead at 92
Arthur Widmer developed blue screen technology
Sunday, June 4, 2006; Posted: 2:28 p.m. EDT (18:28 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Arthur Widmer, who developed some of the most widely used special effects technology in films and earned an Academy Award last year for lifetime achievement, has died. He was 92.

Widmer died of cancer on May 28, his publicist Jane Ayer told the Los Angeles Times for a story published Sunday.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences gave Widmer the award for his work in developing Ultra Violet and "blue screen" special effects processes.

"Art's pioneering work has had a profound impact on the film industry," said Richard Edlund of the academy's Scientific and Technical Awards Committee when the award was announced. "Many of the films we hold dear would not have been possible without his contributions to image compositing technology."

Working for Warner Bros. in the 1950s, Widmer developed the Ultra Violet Traveling Matte process, an early version of what would become known as blue screen, in which two different images shot at different times and places could be combined into one.

"If you want to have a couple sitting at a café in Paris, you could send the couple to Paris and hire a crew and get all the lights and stop the traffic and shoot it, but that would be very expensive," Widmer told the Los Angeles Business Journal last year. "Instead, you get a little mock-up on the stage of the table and chairs and set the couple there and shoot them against the blue screen in the background."

Widmer left Warner Bros. in 1964 to design and build the optical department for Universal Studios, where he continued the development of blue screen and other visual effects until his retirement in 1979.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 06-04-06 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't believe I'm the first person to post in this thread. Does no one besides Mr. Salty care?

It's really got me feeling blue.
Old 06-05-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just wonder if the green screen is really to blame for his demise. What aren't they telling us?
Old 06-05-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you Mr. Widmer for a wonderful technology. Rest in peace.