Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Zombie's Halloween -- remake (2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rob Zombie's Halloween -- remake (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
IGN gave the new version a zero rating and called it the worst movie of the year. I had doubts about this film, but never imagined Zombie would defecate on a classic to this level.
Old 08-31-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
I'm 4min into the work print and Christ this is horrible. I didn't think a film could put so many clichees into such a short period of time. This breakfast scene...man oh man.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief in cinema but it's pretty damn hard to believe that:

Spoiler:
no matter how drunk and passed out you are you are not going to wake up when somebody duct tapes your entire body, including your mouth, to a Lazy Boy.

Okay, the Love Hurts scene speaks for itself.

Actually, maybe I could enjoy this entire flick if the killer was mini-Myers. Now THAT would be a new vision.

I LOOOOOOVE how the poor white trash family has enough cash for a film projector, film camera, film and developing costs.

So far, now 42 minutes in, 90% of the people in the film are assholes and not just assholes but ASSSSSSSSSHOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLESSS!!!!! It's like they are giving Myers a reason to kill because of the sheer prickedness of the people surrounding him. Should we be cheering Myers when he kills the two inmate raping guards and, if so, are we still to be cheering him later on when he is killing innocent foster parents?

Wait, there's some RUSH In this film. I take it all back. I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!

Drat, I thought they might drop the one thing I didn't like about the original. The "TOTALY" lines. No dice.

Does anybody think Zombie feels he didn't fill his cursing quota?

It only took 45 seconds for the Laurie character to get on my nerves. Curtis played Strode as mousey and shy whereas Zombie's Strode is finger fucking a donut within a few seconds on screen.

Okay, so young Micheal hid the mask and weapon under the floorboards in the basement of the Myers house and I suppose I could buy that nobody ever found them. However, when older Myers comes to retreive them he has to obliterate the floor to get at them. Did young Micheal gingerly remove the floor boards, dig a hole, hide his mask and knife, grab a hammer and some nails and then nail the floor boards back down again after the murders?

Are the girls supposed to be insane? Seriously, the amount of screaming, mock orgasms and frenetic motion has me wondering if they should have been committed as well.

What time frame does this film take place in? The soundtrack leads me to believe the 80s but the dialogue says modern times.

You blink and you miss some of these characters before their deaths. Wait, who was that guy that was Paul in the original? Okay, it was not as though we were invested THAT much in the original characters in Carpenter's film but at least we were given something. When Myers returns to Haddonfield it's like the original Halloween only on fastforeward.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 08-31-07 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-31-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Never saw the original, but I caught this last night. Seriously, this is easily the worst film I've seen in theatres in the last several years. It just fails on every single level. Avoid at all costs.
Old 08-31-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems like the people that hate it, really hate it but the positive reviews are raves. I'd say it probably will fall in the middle. Too many people on Carpenter's nuts........

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/halloween/
Old 08-31-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdtv00
I watched the first one tonight, so I could better understand. Frankly I totally agree with freshticles.

There are some things the first one did great, but it's not 1979 and I'm not 9 anymore. Some things from it still stood the test of time, but really , I think a LOT of you need to rewatch it as well.

I couldn't agree more. The original has some great atmosphere but is definitely best when nobody is speaking...........
Old 08-31-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chaz k
http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=11637

wow is all i can say about this review

Fuck You Out Of 10
Old 08-31-07, 12:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
i thought Zombie would bring such a fresh take to the horror movie genre, but so far his 3 have really been less than stellar and disappointed me so much. i liked HoaTC and DR mostly for the chees of the 1st and grit of the 2nd, but they haven't wowed me.
Old 08-31-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm going to say that after seeing the WP, that I liked the movie.

It gave a fresh look to the origins of Mike, and that the 2nd half of the movie was almost exactly like the original movie - except for the ending.

I watched the WP one night, and then watched the original the next. It seems to me that Rob took great care to preserve the original movie, but give the monster a better background, and update the story to modern times.

The one think I don't like in the movie is
Spoiler:
the whole Star Wars Theme - i.e. they hide his sister with another family, and Mike is Vader, and the Doctor is like Ben.
Old 08-31-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Of the top of your head, anyone want to list Michael's killings / killing methods in spoilers?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hated it from start to finish. Nothing scary, nothing shocking and certainly nothing entertaining going on. I also think WAY too much time is spent with young Michael - because it's just not interesting... I hate movies with a creepy kid who becomes violent...I think things like that play much scarier if the kid seems NORMAL and then does something totally batshit crazy like killing his whole family - then finally we get to Laurie and her pals and I couldn't care less about them. Even having people like Clint Howard and Brad Dourif show up don't help the proceedings... I don't know what Zombie was thinking, but this was a tired POS.
Old 08-31-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The positive reviews are baffling to me. I tried to view this as a separate entity from the original, and this is a horrific movie even outside those comparisons. There is not one believable or credible line of dialogue uttered in this movie. OK, fine. It's a slasher movie. None of the kills are interesting, scary, or even surprising. It's all choke, stab, and drag.

None of these characters even remotely resemble real people. Part of what makes the horror genre interesting is the juxtaposition of the grounded reality with the unrelentingly supernatural. How do real people deal with relentlessly awful situations? When every character is a bad caricature, we don't ever invest any emotion in their well being.
Old 08-31-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched the workprint last night and I'm still sorting out the events in my head, but my intial consensus is: I thought it was pretty good. Now I know fully well that the final cut is quite different, but there was a lot I like about this cut that, sadly, will end up being left out of the new cut. And likewise, there are things I'm hoping he removed/rectified for the theater.

I'm a Carpenter nut, so I knew there way no way in hell Zombie could make abetter film, and he didn't. But if you can forget that film existed while you watch this, you might find yourself liking it. Granted, it falls into some lame slasher cliches and doesn't explain many things that are glaringly wrong, but it worked for me on certain levels.

I liked young Michael... most of the time. His "encounter" in the woods with a bully was one of the film's best moments. The white-trash family unit was typical Zombie flavor, with the only real standout being Forsythe, mostly for being so over-the-top. Once Michael snaps, though, is when things get a bit better. One thing did leave me in tears... from laughing. When young Mikey wears the mask while stalking his sister down the hall. I kept expecting him to remove the mask and reveal Gary Coleman underneath. It was like Mini-Mike the stalker.

All of the asylum footage was great. I loved seeing Mike slowly turn over time from an inquisitive young kid to a hulking mute brute. His escape scene was a little unneeded, but I suppose it works especially compared to the ridiculous way he escapes in the new cut.

Once we get into Haddonfield is where I have some issues. Yea, Zombie said we wouldn't see Mike driving but, how the hell does he get there then? Did he run really fast to make it in one night? Smith's Grove ain't exactly down the block. And the girls. I didn't care for any of them, especially the girl playing Lynda. Not only was her character annoying, but she sucks big time at acting. These scenes felt so rushed I didn't have time to care for any of them. And many of Michael's actions demanded explanation. No one, not even Loomis, knew Laurie was adopted, so how the hell did Mikey know she was and where to find her? And if he loves her so much, why the fuck is he trying to kill her? I'll admit I did like the ending. I know he changed it for the new cut and, from what I've read, it doesn't sound nearly as effective. Guess I'll find out tomorrow night.
Old 08-31-07, 03:15 PM

The reviews are so bad that I now have to see this film. I am a huge fan of the original and really want to see the fast forward second half of Zombie's film. It's really too bad that Zombie didn't do more with this. I was hoping for a Halloween revival a la Batman Begins to the Batman franchise.
Old 08-31-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Orndorf
He's not... one of the touches I really enjoyed about Zombie's film.
I don't know about you, but if some huge fucker is stalking me, killing my friends and chasing me with a knife I assume he wants to kill me. They may not have explicitly showed he was going to kill her, but they also didn't make it blatantly obvious he wasn't.
Old 08-31-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Horrific. Mind-bogglingly horrific. One of the worst endings I've seen in recent memory.

Spoiler:
Loomis DIED. What the fuck?
Old 08-31-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got back from see'ing it and I have mixed feelings.

1: Part of me likes the idea that Zombie wanted to show his change, but at the same time, I felt it was way to forced. He made the family so dysfunctional that they almost became parodies of themselves. Then again, when I look back at why the original was so successful, I think it is because of the fact MIchael was a kid who just went crazy out of nowhere. There was no background, he was the embodiment of evil. It was simply there, with no excuse.

2: Once we get to Haddonfield, it just goes downhill fast. It was like watching the original, except more "hip" and a lot faster. Almost like those flash movies where the Bunnies do a movie in 30 seconds. We meet Laurie, we meet her friends, we see MIchael, we watch them die. There is no development for them whatsoever. They are obviously just characters that are here to die for this monster that Zombie has recreated.

3: The logical plot holes really hurt it. Young Michael has enough sense to hide his knife and mask? A man is so drunk he doesn't realize he's being duct taped to a chair? How did he know where his sister would be? I mean, the whole town didn't know it was his sister, why would he know that his sister, after all these years is there? Not only that, but he knows exactly where she lives? I guess you could say the original had the same problem, but that problem really didn't occur until the sequel brought up the sister storyline, so I view it differently.

Along the same lines, we have the fact that Zombie wants to show that this is a normal man, who as a child suffered a tragic fate, but once he becomes "The Shape", all that is lost. He quickly morphs into a paranormal being, as he is stabbed twice, shot four times and still can put up such a fight. This is a huge problem, as it totally changes the dynamic of the character. Carpenter was smart enough to save the shooting and unstoppable monster angle for the ending of the original, Zombie didn't do the same, and in doing that he abandons what the first half of his film establishes.

All in all, I wouldn't say it is worse than Halloween:Resurrection, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. It seems as if two film merged into one and this is what we get, the first half is slow and deliberate, the second half is Halloween on speed.
Old 08-31-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Orndorf
To me...

Spoiler:
It was made pretty clear in the film Michael wanted Laurie to kill him. He kept giving her chances to do so.
With all due respect - as I normally enjoy your reviews - but NOTHING is "clear" about this movie.
Old 08-31-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
What a surprise. I've been saying these things for a while now.

As for Myers wanting
Spoiler:
Laurie to kill him.. yeah, that makes perfect sense that he wants that only after killing her parents, friends and chasing her around smashing doors down and all that jazz....
Old 08-31-07, 05:10 PM
Banned

Will the 24 and under generation who have not seen the original like it you think?
Old 08-31-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^The Hot Topic crowd will eat this shit with a ladle. Anyone older will have their (deserved) reservations.
Old 08-31-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wewantflair
With all due respect - as I normally enjoy your reviews - but NOTHING is "clear" about this movie.
Ugh, enough with the bashing! Yes, there is something clear about this movie:

Spoiler:
It's clear to me that it's a piece of shit!
Old 08-31-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
Ugh, enough with the bashing! Yes, there is something clear about this movie:

Spoiler:
It's clear to me that it's a piece of shit!
LMAO!
Old 08-31-07, 06:20 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really really really wanted to like this movie. I've been awaiting this since it was first announced. The original is my favorite horror movie and one of my favorite all time movies. Unfortunately this was a disaster, i tried my hardest to go into this with an open mind and try not to compare it to the original. Unfortunately, it was for me at least....impossible.

First, Michael was turned into a Devil's Reject's character. IMO, Tyler was too big in stature for this role. All the elements of what made Michael sort of a "mythical" figure in the original is gone. He's on the screen for 75% of the movie. There's no suspense or buildup for the killings, you know where he is and whats coming next through the entire movie. Michael is is turned into a redneck "terminator type" serial killer, running through doors and walls.

When Malcolm McDowell was cast for the role as Dr Loomis i thought it was a good choice, boy was i wrong. He was awful. No charisma, nothing, just seemed like he was going through the motions.

Halfway through the movie, Zombie decides to try and copy the original basically scene by scene. Although, certain scenes are done in different order and done just a bit different. This also fails. The teenage girls are terrible, everything seemed rushed and forced.

This movie IMO failed at every level, and is an absolute spit in the face of the original. I dont know how this hack director Zombie, could sit back and watch the final cut of this movie and think it was good.

An absolute disgrace
Old 08-31-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Watched the early print.... started out pretty terrible, really just not enjoyable entertainment at all (i'm especially angered by women abused on screen, in this case raped)... and ended just "ok".

If RZ has spent the entire film on the actual Halloween story rather than just the last hr we might've had something.

Also would someone mind listing the changes between the workprint and final film? The "escape" from the institution is a joke and I understand that's different... but it sounds like the ending is significantly changed as well.
Old 08-31-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
A page back or two is where I listed the difference in the work print to final.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.