Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What one film could most agree on really enjoying?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What one film could most agree on really enjoying?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't know about Rocky,and anyone who didn't like it.
And regardless of the sequals, The first Matrix is liked by everyone I know.
Old 06-01-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Everyone I've talked to who has seen Whale Rider has liked it...

That gets my vote.

-ringding-
I didn't think of that one. Everybody I know that saw it liked it.
Old 06-01-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd agree with Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future, and Groundhog Day. Never met anyone who hated those movies.

Strongly disagree with Whale Rider and The Princess Bride.

Never met anyone that didn't like Ghostbusters.

Whoever I know that's seen The Mighty, Millions, and In America liked them, but I'm not so sure that they're wildly popular films.

The Shawshank Redemption is a good choice, too.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 06-01-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Three pages and no one has mentioned Casablanca?
Post #35.

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Well if we were just talking about a movie that most critics and film buffs could agree on really enjoying, this one would be sure to be included in the discussion, but we're not. I know plenty of normal casual filmgoers who hate that movie, and most older movies for that matter.
Really? You know lots of people who hate it? I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who don't care for it, but I don't think I know any. I don't disbelieve you, I'm just surprised. I never though of Casablanca as a movie that inspired rampant hate.

Anyway, we'll never find a movie everyone likes, but we're just going for 51% here. I wouldn't be surprised if we've hit a few in this thread, although we'll never really know.
Old 06-01-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are people out there who dislike black & white, that style, and any older movies overall. So yeah, there are people that I would say "hate" it.
Old 06-01-06, 08:51 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
The Goonies is my pick.
Old 06-01-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone mentioned Boyz In The Hood? No one I know dislikes that movie.

Also, Grosse Point Blank and Garden State have to be up there.

= J
Old 06-01-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
The Goonies is my pick.
If you grew up in the 80's, then yes. If not I'm not too sure.

I myself loved this movie growing up...but it was of my generation, so I'm perhaps blinded by nastalgia.
Old 06-01-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Godfather
Shawshank Redemption

I know imdb (this is a movie website that you might not know about, but it's a cool website that will tell you everything you'd ever want to know about movies) can be biased and some of the ratings just don't make sense but it must say something about these 2 movies that 165,000 and 195,000 people respectively gave these movies a 9 out of 10 rating.

Like I said imdb isn't the end all be all and you can argue its rankings until you're blue in the face, but I don't find too much wrong with its top 10.

1. The Godfather
2. Shawshank Redemption
3. Godfather part II
4. Return of the King
5. Casablanca
6. Schindler's List
7. Seven Samurai
8. Empire Strikes Back
9. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
10. Pulp Fiction

Personally I don't like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and even though Return of the King is a great movie it probably doesn't deserve to be the top 10. Aside from those 2 I probably couldn't make a better list. Of course you could probably ask 100 people and you'd get 100 different top 10's but something tells me that most of these movies would be on most people's top 10 list.
Old 06-02-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I know plenty of normal casual filmgoers who hate that movie, and most older movies for that matter.
Who the hell hates Casablanca? They must hate life, too. I can understand not liking it (okay, I really can't but I'm being generous), but hate?
Old 06-02-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not the biggest fan of Raiders, but i can't say that I don't like it. I always enjoyed Temple better. My wife loves the movie, and i do enjoy watching it when she does. I though Last Crusade was pretty good too, funny thing is that i only saw it for the first time a few months ago.
I don't know if everyone likes it or not but after working in theaters on and off for 10 years, Big Fish is the one film that almost everyone in every age group really enjoyed. It really crossed generations. Almost every showing had people between the ages of 13 to 80, and all of them came out saying they loved the film. I know there are older films that have accomplished this, but BF was just the only film since i started working in theaters.
I agree with Ghostbusters,Groundhog Day, Iron Giant and few others. I know someone metioned Stripes, but i have yet to see it. My father in law told me I should watch it before i went to BCT, because supposedly it was pretty accurate portrayal of basic.
Old 06-02-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I know plenty of low-attention-span mouth-breathers who DESPISE Blade Runner. Unfortunately.
OMG, I can't believe that. Blade Runner has it all though: philosophical questions, romance, action, awesome soundtrack, perfect conveyance of mood, wonderful sets, suspense...everything!
Old 06-02-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who the hell hates Casablanca? They must hate life, too. I can understand not liking it (okay, I really can't but I'm being generous), but hate?
Apparently a few people I know did not like, or even hated it.

Back to the original topics, I think most - or every people would love short movies. People who have seen that BMW films (well, the one that I know anyway) loved at least one of them, if not all of those shorts.

That also goes to the Pixar shorts.
Old 06-02-06, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Who can honesty say that they didn't enjoy The Lion King or Toy Story?

Last edited by Slayer2005; 06-02-06 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
The Breakfast Club.
Old 06-02-06, 02:48 PM

Who hates Casablanca? Tons of people. It's not neccesarily cause they don't like old black and white movies. Maybe they just don't like it. It's a matter of taste.

There's lots of old movies I like, but Casablanca isn't one of them. I think it's more boring than watching Al Gore eat cheetos for 2 hours. If someone asked me if I'd rather watch [insert movie] or Casablanca, I'm more than likely going to pick whatever the inserted movie is.

Me: "Action Jackson? Casablanca? Ah well... I guess go ahead and put on Action Jackson .... *sigh*...."
Old 06-02-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido
The Godfather
Shawshank Redemption

I know imdb (this is a movie website that you might not know about, but it's a cool website that will tell you everything you'd ever want to know about movies) can be biased and some of the ratings just don't make sense but it must say something about these 2 movies that 165,000 and 195,000 people respectively gave these movies a 9 out of 10 rating.

Like I said imdb isn't the end all be all and you can argue its rankings until you're blue in the face, but I don't find too much wrong with its top 10.

1. The Godfather
2. Shawshank Redemption
3. Godfather part II
4. Return of the King
5. Casablanca
6. Schindler's List
7. Seven Samurai
8. Empire Strikes Back
9. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
10. Pulp Fiction

Personally I don't like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and even though Return of the King is a great movie it probably doesn't deserve to be the top 10. Aside from those 2 I probably couldn't make a better list. Of course you could probably ask 100 people and you'd get 100 different top 10's but something tells me that most of these movies would be on most people's top 10 list.
Wait...wait...

What's this...IMDB you speak of?

= J
Old 06-02-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Wait...wait...

What's this...IMDB you speak of?

= J

Yeah, I didn't know about it either but thankfully a new poster told us about it a little while ago. I had no idea something like that existed.
Old 06-02-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On another forum i post at with people of various backgrounds and interests the topic of favorite movie came up and the movie i noticed was on most everyones list(including mine) was The Shawshank Redemption.
Old 06-02-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
How about the original unedited non-special edition pre-prequals Star Wars trilogy? I would say a good 70-80% of this board likes that.

P.S I didn't read the entire thread so if this has been brought up already I'm sorry.
Old 06-02-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I repeat, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

If you think you don't like it, you're lying to yourself.