Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What one film could most agree on really enjoying?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What one film could most agree on really enjoying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 09:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Salo?
Old 05-30-06, 09:46 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
"The Princess Bride"...it appeals to so many age groups, so many tastes, so many specific genre lovers.
Old 05-30-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bandoman
Salo?
A movie that any parent could take their children to . . . adored by all ages . . . two thumbs up . . . it was better than Cats . . .
Old 05-30-06, 10:13 AM
Banned

I don't think I've ever heard anyone bad mouth The Iron Giant. I know I loved it. I told my girlfriend at the time that she was going to cry...and she did! Ha!

(To be fair, I was pretty choked up too. )
Old 05-30-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Godfather 1 & 2?
Old 05-30-06, 10:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by talemyn
A movie that any parent could take their children to . . . adored by all ages . . . two thumbs up . . . it was better than Cats . . .
you forgot: I peed in my pants ...
Old 05-30-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
"The Princess Bride"...it appeals to so many age groups, so many tastes, so many specific genre lovers.

that's what I was going to say

Also, Ferris Bueler's Day Off
Old 05-30-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Goodfellas?
Old 05-30-06, 10:35 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Raiders of the Lost Ark = Okay movie but vastly overrated.
Rear Window = Hitch has done better.
The Great Escape = Haven't seen it.
Jaws = Very good film.
High Fidelity = Hated it.
Shawshank Redemption = Hated it.

Very good film, however it is primarily for action-movie geeks. Others find the story too unrealistic or violent, and are disturbed by the relationship between Leon and Matilda.

Braveheart = Hated it.
Heat = Good movie but overrated.
Saving Private Ryan = Good movie. But too long.
Fargo = Hated it.

Great movie but many people find it overly sentimental.

Next!
Do you have Parkinson's, or are you just a fan?
Old 05-30-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kudama
I don't think I've ever heard anyone bad mouth The Iron Giant.

It was too scmatzly and too much a kid's movie for my taste.

I love Fargo, but I know too many people who hate it.

Groundhog Day is not a bad choice, really. I haven't seen it for years but I remember enjoying it. The Incredibles, Rear Window and Raiders are also good choices, I think.

Leon won't work for reasons already mentioned - too many dislike the genre outright.

Someone suggested The Wizard of Oz. I'll second that and toss Casablanca and To Kill a Mockingbird into the ring. What about It's a Wonderful Life?

Are we talking general public or DVDTalk?
Old 05-30-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bring It On
Old 05-30-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
True Lies is a possibility, I don't know many people that out right hate it. Thinking something is overrated is one thing, not enjoying something is something else.

That said, the winner is : Good Burger.
Old 05-30-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Bring It On
/thread

I believe this is the most loved movie 'round these parts the first couple of years after I joined. May have changed already with all the new people.
Old 05-30-06, 11:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
We've tried this before, and it's an impossible task.

Get ten people in a room, it's a hard enough task (but possible, especially if all ten are about the same age, same gender, and friends).

Blow it out to the Internet, can't be done. Even if there was some movie out there that everybody did in fact like (and I don't think there is), somebody would come along and say "Nope, I hate it" just so they could be "that guy".
Old 05-30-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kal-El

I believe this is the most loved movie 'round these parts the first couple of years after I joined. May have changed already with all the new people.
Yep, I tried to find that main thread from back in the day. There were like 2000 posts and only two were negative or something like that. One of them changed his mind too, IIRC
Old 05-30-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Seems like we have a lot of "that guy's" on this board.

I cannot believe there are people in this world that don't like Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's a sad day for DVD Talk...

What's weird to me is that there aren't any movies that have been mentioned so far that I don't like. They might not be my favorite movies of all time, but I still see something worthwhile in pretty much every single one (well, I haven't seen Salo )

Do I just like movies too much? Strange that so many people on a board dedicated to DVDs would have such low opinions of quality films.
Old 05-30-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Godfather 1 & 2?
Peter Griffin didn't much care for it

Originally Posted by draven
I cannot believe there are people in this world that don't like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
It just seemed like a particularly lame "Boy's Own Adventures" story. Didn't Michael Palin cover this territory pretty well already with 'Ripping Yarns'?

I really don't think Spielberg contributred anything with the film; he just wanted to replicate the serials of his youth. As someone with less patience with simple morality tales where the good guys with white hats always manage to defeat the bad guys with black hats, I found it childish and lacking in any of the elements I apopreciate in good movies. Same goes for 'Schindler's List.' I tire easily of the condescending approach inherent in what are basically movies with a children's story structure. They LOOK like they're movies for adults, but it's all illusion.

If it's any consolation, the week 'Raiders' came out, I passed on it and went to see David Bowie in 'Just A Gigolo' instead- it turned out to be even worse.

Last edited by wergo; 05-30-06 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-30-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gigli for the win! Seriously alot good choices here. I think as far recent movies that aren't clouded by childhood I would hope LOTR series would surely be one. The amount of work, passion and respect put into that series is second to none in my book. Its amodern day original star war trilogy if ask me, you have to at least respect it.
Old 05-30-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'd have to agree with Back to the Future. Typical fish out of water story, the fabulous 50's and Michael J. Fox. What's not to love?

Maybe toss in a Ghostbusters or Goonies, although Goonies might suffer from age demographics.

I can't believe there are people out there that don't like Shawshank or Raiders.
Old 05-30-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd also throw in Cool Hand Luke as a possibility
Old 05-30-06, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
and it's an impossible task.
I agree. I tried hard to think of a movie that I thought more than 50% of the world would like, but I couldn't think of one at all.

It would probably be much easier (but less interesting) to list films that most people hate.
Old 05-30-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wergo
IAs someone with less patience with simple morality tales where the good guys with white hats always manage to defeat the bad guys with black hats, I found it childish and lacking in any of the elements I apopreciate in good movies. .
It was all tongue in cheek, though. However, I don't have any difficulty understanding that some people don't like it. (I thought it was fun.)

BTW, I tend to agree with you re: Schindler's List. I'm really not a Spielberg fan, although he has done a few movies that I've enjoyed.
Old 05-30-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wergo
Peter Griffin didn't much care for it

It just seemed like a particularly lame "Boy's Own Adventures" story. Didn't Michael Palin cover this territory pretty well already with 'Ripping Yarns'?

I really don't think Spielberg contributred anything with the film; he just wanted to replicate the serials of his youth. As someone with less patience with simple morality tales where the good guys with white hats always manage to defeat the bad guys with black hats, I found it childish and lacking in any of the elements I apopreciate in good movies. Same goes for 'Schindler's List.' I tire easily of the condescending approach inherent in what are basically movies with a children's story structure. They LOOK like they're movies for adults, but it's all illusion.

If it's any consolation, the week 'Raiders' came out, I passed on it and went to see David Bowie in 'Just A Gigolo' instead- it turned out to be even worse.
Old 05-30-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It is impossible. Any movie with an element of violence, profanity, and/or sexuality will turn off people who don't want to see and hear those things. On the other hand, there are people who wouldn't like a movie if it didn't have any of those things.

Any adaptation of a book or a play, or a remake will inevitably have people who hate it because they feel it wasn't as good as the source or original film.

Any movie in a certain language will have people who don't like it because they don't speak the language and therefore have to put with subtitles or dubbing.
Old 05-30-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
It's a Wonderful Life?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.