DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   "100 Funniest Movies"...Bravo TV's List? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/466988-100-funniest-movies-bravo-tvs-list.html)

cornbetts 06-02-06 05:47 PM

Where's UHF????

OldBoy 06-02-06 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by cornbetts
Where's UHF????

all prints, negatives, and copies were destroyed as if it never existed...ever!

saseawa 06-11-06 12:41 PM

Hello

As Oscar Madison (Walter Matheau) said to Felix Unger (Jack Lemmon) as he threw the spaghetti (bravo 100 funniest list) across the kitchen (internet) "NOW IT'S GARBAGE!" - The Odd Couple - a Neil Simon classic

This list seemed to place a very high importance on the ability to fart and defecate. Which is what I want to do when I read this list!

Mondo Kane 06-30-06 04:20 PM

I'm watching this right now and not only does this feel like a promotion on how "Great and funny Ben Stiller is", but it's clear that the people who made the list perfer dialogue-funny movies instead of broad-comedy.

As other posters pointed out, the lack of old movies probably applies to the latter.

DVDave1963 07-03-06 12:07 PM

Ain't it the Truth

Originally Posted by Groucho
Uh, where is Duck Soup? Or any movie made before the 1960's for that matter?

Were are any Marx Brothers films, many of them made AFI funniest movie list, Brovo has their head up their ass. Their history began with their birth as they know no movie before Dr Strangelove. Where is Some Like ot Hot, Mr Blanding Builds His Dreamhouse etc. This list is a joke, much like the channel that aired it. Many of the newer movies are funny but not the funniest of ALL TIME.

musicamama888 07-03-06 01:12 PM

I just can't believe that Robin Hood:Men in Tights wasn't on there. that was upsetting.

digidoh 07-03-06 08:52 PM

Isn't Broadcast News (#68) more of a light drama instead of a comedy?

agentorange 07-04-06 01:20 AM

where in the hell is Bulworth

stasio 07-04-06 06:40 AM

This list has no words to explain how terrible it really is. No Tommy Boy, Black Sheep, Billy Madison? I would like to punch who ever is responsible for this list.

Stu 17 07-04-06 07:29 AM

Bull Durham makes it but no Major League? Bull Durham was funny but come on, how can Major League not be on the list?

The Bus 07-05-06 10:40 AM

I don't see Rushmore as a comedy myself.

But at least Harold and Kumar got on the list.

Holy Grail should be in the top 10.

1982redbirds 07-19-06 11:59 AM

Meet The Fockers... Are You Freaking Kidding Me

Originally Posted by iggystar
Can we all agree this list is a void merely because Meet the Fockers ranked? Despite all arguments, which should be higher, which should be on the list, lists are stupid and always wrong..... Meet the Fockers just causes the brain to shut down to any other discussion of the list.

I think you summed it up quite well with that. Meet The Fockers was one of the absolute unfunniest movies ever made... calling someone a Focker is only funny once, on the 484th time, even the brain dead find it unfunny.

I'd also like to add that if the equally unfunny Three Amigos makes the "funniest" list then where are the actually funny "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" or "Funny Farm"?

Whether you like either of my suggestions, both are very funny, while Three Amigos is an exercise in lack of humor.

"Oh, what I wouldn't give for a large sock with horse manure in it" - Woody Allen from Annie Hall

1982redbirds 07-19-06 12:02 PM

Tommy Boy

Originally Posted by stasio
This list has no words to explain how terrible it really is. No Tommy Boy, Black Sheep, Billy Madison? I would like to punch who ever is responsible for this list.

While I found Black Sheep and Billy Madison borderline "unfunny", I completely agree with Tommy Boy. I would like to find a person who "enjoys" comedies who doesn't "enjoy" Tommy Boy.

"Richard... you ever root for the Yankees?" Chris Farley from Tommy Boy

1982redbirds 07-19-06 12:05 PM

The Apartment

Originally Posted by DVDave1963
Were are any Marx Brothers films, many of them made AFI funniest movie list, Brovo has their head up their ass. Their history began with their birth as they know no movie before Dr Strangelove. Where is Some Like ot Hot, Mr Blanding Builds His Dreamhouse etc. This list is a joke, much like the channel that aired it. Many of the newer movies are funny but not the funniest of ALL TIME.

While it's obvious that anything not from the last 40 years got ignored, where is The Apartment, The Pale Face or Support Your Local Sheriff.

If you haven't seen these 3 movies, do yourself a favor and do...they are all hilarious and deserve to be in the Top 100 (Top 50 for sure in my book).

taa455 07-19-06 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 1982redbirds
I think you summed it up quite well with that. Meet The Fockers was one of the absolute unfunniest movies ever made... calling someone a Focker is only funny once, on the 484th time, even the brain dead find it unfunny.

I'd also like to add that if the equally unfunny Three Amigos makes the "funniest" list then where are the actually funny "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" or "Funny Farm"?

Whether you like either of my suggestions, both are very funny, while Three Amigos is an exercise in lack of humor.

"Oh, what I wouldn't give for a large sock with horse manure in it" - Woody Allen from Annie Hall

I think Three Amigos is very funny, at least as funny as Funny Farm. You have to be careful about making claims of fact when we are dealing with a matter of opinion.

1982redbirds 06-08-07 03:06 PM

I think Ebert was dead on in 1986 in giving this movie 1 star. Completely unfunny, so bad that even Zorro the Gay Blade was funnier than 3 Amigos.

Three Amigos

BY ROGER EBERT / December 12, 1986

Cast & CreditsLucky Day: Steve Martin
Dusty Bottoms: Chevy Chase
Ned Nederlander: Martin Short
Carmen: Patrice Martinez
Flugleman: Joe Mantegna
El Guapo: Alfonso Arau
Jefe: Tony Plana

Orion Presents A Film Directed By John Landis And Produced By Lorne Michaels And George Folsey Jr. Screenplay By Steve Martin, Michaels And Randy Newman. Photographed By Ronald W. Browne. Edited By Malcolm Campbell. Music By Elmer Bernstein Songs By Randy Newman. Running Time: 103 Minutes. Classified PG.

Printer-friendly »
E-mail this to a friend »

The ideas to make "Three Amigos" into a good comedy are here, but the madness is missing. All great farces need a certain insane focus, an intensity that declares how important they are to themselves. This movie is too confident, too relaxed, too clever to be really funny. And yet, when the cowboys sit around their campfire singing a sad lament and then their horses join in, you see where the movie could have gone.

My guess is they made it with too much confidence and not enough desperation.

The stars are Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and Martin Short. The comic style they should have adopted was Short's manic goofiness from "Saturday Night Live," but the tone seems to come more from Martin, who keeps a bemused distance from the material. Chase hardly seems in the movie at all; he's given a few lines and some quizzical reaction shots and left idling in the background. The ads make us expect a madcap farce, and instead we get a seminar on how to suppress Short, misuse Martin and ignore Chase.

The plot: Martin, Chase and Short are the Three Amigos, a Hollywood comedy team probably inspired by the Ritz Brothers. Their last few pictures have been bombs, and after they're fired by the studio head, all of their perks disappear overnight.

Meanwhile, in a small Mexican village, a young woman watches the Amigos on the screen and thinks that their comic adventures are on the level - that they really can outshoot banditos. So she sends them a telegram, begging them to protect her village against the local desperadoes. The telegram is so badly interpreted that the Amigos think they're being offered a fortune for a personal appearance, and so they respond instantly.

The movie then turns into a long series of scenes based on misunderstandings and mistaken identities, until the Amigos belatedly realize that the bad guys are using real bullets. By the time we arrive in Mexico, however, the movie is already lost because it hasn't spent the time to make the Amigos into interesting characters. Maybe the filmmakers thought Martin, Chase and Short would spring to the screen fully developed, but it doesn't work that way, and the best farces are the ones where the characters aren't in on the joke.

The movie's screenplay is by Martin, Lorne Michaels of "Saturday Night Live" and Randy Newman, who also contributes the songs (which are indeed funny). It doesn't seem to have occurred to them that they are satirizing a genre that hardly exists in the memory of most moviegoers, a genre that seems so ridiculous when played straight that to play it for laughs seems redundant. This same material was worked over in the 1981 George Hamilton movie, "Zorro, the Gay Blade." Although that wasn't a good movie, it was funnier than "Three Amigos," if only because Hamilton was smart enough to play against his own sleek self-confidence.

No one uses self-satire this time. Martin seems to condescend to his character, which is a mistake because, if the character is not allowed to have dignity, there is nothing to play against. Short, who was always inventing something truly weird on "SNL," seems disappointingly tame here. I kept wanting him to climb a cactus with a lampshade on his head, and he kept making sense. Chase essentially seems absent most of the time.

The movie was directed by John Landis ("Animal House" and "Trading Places"), who knows a lot about comedy but has forgotten that "Animal House" worked not because of its farce but because of the zealous intensity of its characters and performances: John Belushi was playing Bluto, not kidding him. I guess the general rule should be that nobody should write, direct or play in a farce unless they are prepared to treat it with the utmost seriousness. Everybody in "Three Amigos" seems to think it's some kind of a joke.

nateman 06-09-07 11:35 AM

Yikes! This list is just as bad as TV Guide's 50 greatest TV shows of all time list when they named Seinfeld the best show of all-time (& I think its the other way around,Worst), & thinking that David Letterman's show was better than Johnny Carson's.

Shrek in the top 3? WTF? I like the movie don't get me wrong but it wasn't that funny.

M*A*S*H at 17? ok Now I think the TV series is probally on of the 10 ten best shows in TV History, It was smart, funny & sweet. The movie on the other hand was annoying, Unlikable & just plain mean-Now that not to say I don't give it any credit.
Without the movie there might & probally wouldn't have been the TV show but to me it is not a watchable movie for me.

Meet the Fockers was just plain unfunny & stupid & the only person I know who likes the movie is a self centered jackass.

Donald Faison should be pissed with Clueless taking #90.

Putting the Police Academy series at #59 is highway robbery!

I won't go on anymore but I can see these people don't have much of a sense of humour.

jfoobar 06-09-07 12:26 PM

There are numerous films on this list that weren't even good, let alone deserving of mention on any top 100 list. The list is also waaaaay too modern-centric. I can only assume that the list was compiled from votes of people who religiously watch TV shows like American Idol and Extreme Home Makeover.

starman9000 06-09-07 02:24 PM

Wow, that's almost a 1 year rebuttal.

im_ryandick 06-09-07 04:56 PM

half baked at 81? thats at least top 30.

mijorico 06-09-07 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
half baked at 81? thats at least top 30.

I'd say that's one of the flicks undeserving of even being on the list.

dom56 06-09-07 11:48 PM

Where is Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey on the list?

"We're total metal heads!"

im_ryandick 06-11-07 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by mijorico
I'd say that's one of the flicks undeserving of even being on the list.

HOW!
it's hilarious, i find myself quoting it many times daily.

mijorico 06-11-07 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
HOW!
it's hilarious, i find myself quoting it many times daily.

My buddies and I saw that movie when it was released in theaters, at a time when we were really into the Cheech and Chong flicks. So we definitely liked the stoner humor, but still ended up hating this movie. And there usually isn't much my buddies don't like, for what it's worth.

For me, Cheech and Chong = stupid funny. Half Baked just = stupid.

bigjon9981 11-10-07 07:42 PM

Where is Tommy Boy???

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
I watched it but only to get an idea for some films I haven't seen. I guess I'm in the minority in hating Animal House. The only time I laughed was when Bluto is giving his inspirational speech...

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
"Germans?"
"Forget it, he's rolling."

100. Anchorman
99. The Birdcage
98. School of Rock
97. Happy Gilmore
96. Four Weddings and a Funeral
95. Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle
94. Waiting for Guffman
93. The Aristocrats
92. Father of the Bride