Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only XMEN the Last Stand REVIEW Thread SPOILERS

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only XMEN the Last Stand REVIEW Thread SPOILERS

Old 05-29-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the movie was good. I'm not getting all the hate unless it's by the non-comic book fans. Are there some conflicts? sure. The Dark Phoenix saga wasn't the same but at what time in the X-men movie universe have they ever acknowledged life on any planet other than Earth? It woud be a little difficult to explain Dark Phoenix destroying a planet with over 5 billion lives.

Has Charles X died? Yep, a few times. And the key here is...would Magneto maybe become the leader of the X-men? Sure, it diffinitly could and IMO they set it up for that very thing to happen. Just like in the comic book at one time.

The Beast was dead on. Kitty was as well.

I think this movie was more true to the comic series than any other.
Old 05-29-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by waporvare
The Beast was dead on. Kitty was as well.

When did Kitty have some crush on Bobby? It's like between X2 and X3 they just figured Rogue without her stolen powers was just not a good character and tossed her aside.

You figure that if anyone else wanted to stand up against Magneto it would be her. Since, you know, he tried to kill her in the first film and all. They just decided they needed another female character with decent powers that actually would be neat to show on screen and pushed Rogue aside.

Though I admit she's a cuttie.
Old 05-29-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any stills of Rebecca Romjin laying naked on floor after being hit with the "cure?"
Old 05-29-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
One thing I was very happy w/ - no Gambit.
Old 05-30-06, 12:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by M2theAX
Anyone have any stills of Rebecca Romjin laying naked on floor after being hit with the "cure?"
Oh, come on you guys.

OK, I'll admit, that shot was beautiful.
Old 05-30-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll second that. This is the only shot, which is a publicity shot. But it's only from her shoulders up. Rebecca looks incredibly hot with short black hair.

Old 05-30-06, 12:49 AM

This should have been a story about Scott and Jean.
Three problems. One, I've read a few reports that Marsden didn't want to do much in this film, and wanted to move on. So they killed him off. Sort of the same reason Rebecca Romijn was cured, she wanted to move on. These are only reports mind you. Two, Cyclops would have never survived to face Jean at the end. Three, Marsden would have butchered that scene with his performance. I'll be honest, I wasn't impressed with Marsden as an actor in this series. He consistently gave the worst performances in X1 and X2
Old 05-30-06, 12:53 AM

but a great movie for what it was and definitely much better than X3.
I don't think it was a great film, period. Merely a good film. But like I said, opinions differ.

Okay, you're annoying.
Because he has a different opinion? Okay!
Old 05-30-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing that really really bothered me was the discontinuity throughout the movie...one minute it's day, another it's night, mutants running across the country in a matter of hours/days...
hey just like in real life one minute (second) it's day another it's night though I get what you mean

about running across the country as I understand the Blackbird can travel at Mach 4 speeds....not sure how that equates to time but I can suspend disbelief long enough in a comicbook movie that it could travel from coast to coast fairly quickly.

To all the cries about character development..... I love character development but I feel the first 2 movies did enough of that to allow this movie to breathe more and be more about the action.

Sometimes it is better just to have characters in these movies just to see them as opposed to not having them at all. I go back to what others have said about the first 2 movies

where was the character development for
Cyclops - X1
Storm - X1
Sabretooth - X1
Toad - X1
Iceman - X1
Deathstrike - X2
Kitty Pride - X2
Colossus - X2

etc....

I thought something like Angel was done as good as it needed to be done .... hell I would I been fine just seeing him in the background

instead we were given a look into his childhood (ala Rouge)
introduction to his father and their relationship
his later life acceptance of his mutation
and his ability to forgive his father's lack of understanding and his ability to use his mutation to rescue his father in his moment of need

what more did we need to know or get in this flick?
that he hangs with Iceman, Black Widow, a Zeus god, and that dude from the movie previews (Blaze, not Depp) in his spare time?

Last edited by musick; 05-30-06 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When did Kitty have some crush on Bobby?
when was a crush established?
is a crush assumed because she allows Bobby to comfort her after Charles dies by taking her ice skating?
and so what if you assume she has a crush on him in this movie, maybe all the girls at the school had a thing for the Iceman
Old 05-30-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Kitty's character development was in X2? Huh? am I missing some deleted scenes or something?

How about Angel's character development? In his five minute screen time of escaping, showing up at the mansion and then showing up to save his dad he has no character development and is just placed there for shits and giggles.

How about some character development for Rogue. She goes from the first one of not being accepted of her own self and the powers she has to finally coming to terms with them and then suddenly we get this twist that since she can't touch her boyfriend she wants to change herself.

It's like all the message of accepting yourself for who you are that was placed in the first two films and the whole "mutants are people too" mentality got tossed out the window when you can simply take a shot and cure yourself. Hey, being different sucks so change yourself to be happy.
Old 05-30-06, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by musick
when was a crush established?
is a crush assumed because she allows Bobby to comfort her after Charles dies by taking her ice skating?
and so what if you assume she has a crush on him in this movie, maybe all the girls at the school had a thing for the Iceman

There was a very big hinting at a love triangle. Why else would rogue go and change herself?

The real question is why was there a lack of Kitty/Piotr relationship hinted?
Old 05-30-06, 01:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IIG
I don't hesistate to say this this was much more true to the comics than even X2 .
Um, what? I don't care if you liked the film or not, because that's an opinion, but what about this was true to the comics?

The Phoenix doesn't have a firebird or even much power in comparison to her comic book self. The only comic reference to the Phoenix in this movie is when she holds back Scott's optic blast. The whole "Dawn of the Dead" look she got was also something made just for the movie.

Wolverine becomes leader of the X-Men. This is against his character in both the comics AND the films.

Rogue seeks a cure for her powers.

The Professor completely writes off Scott at the beginning of the movie, which he would never do in the comics. Scott, for his part, still leads the X-Men after Jean's death (and rebirth, and death, and cloning, and rebirth) in the comics. In the film he gets killed in the first reel.

Kitty's phasing a man into a solid object doesn't kill him in the film. This is practically canon in the comic that something like that would kill a person.

Colossus does nothing in this film. He's a huge part of the comics. If you're going to put him in as one of the "team of six", then you should maybe let him speak.

The only thing I can think of that was really true to the comic was Iceman turning to ice. Oh, and Beast reading a book while standing on the ceiling. That's about it.

Also, I was thinking about it, using the cure on Magneto really undercut the X-Men's position. By doing it, they basically prove Magneto right. And, oddly, once he loses his powers, he's just allowed to roam free. No prison, no nothing.

The more I think about this movie, the angrier I get.

Last edited by Supermallet; 05-30-06 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Kitty's character development was in X2? Huh? am I missing some deleted scenes or something?
no you weren't missing anything except being able to read my post which was a listing of characters introduced in the first 2 movies with little to no early development....Kitty being one of them

How about Angel's character development? In his five minute screen time of escaping, showing up at the mansion and then showing up to save his dad he has no character development and is just placed there for shits and giggles.
again did you even read my post
his appearance in X3 was more developed than many of the character appearances in the first 2 movies
why no outcry that Hank McCoy was in X2 just for shits and giggles

How about some character development for Rogue. She goes from the first one of not being accepted of her own self and the powers she has to finally coming to terms with them and then suddenly we get this twist that since she can't touch her boyfriend she wants to change herself.
seemed to me pretty early on like her killing her childhood boyfriend with a kiss showed that she always struggled with her powers and it seemed to me that she would want to rid herself of her powers so she could have contact with Bobby.....pretty much what she was getting at early on in X3 in a conversation with him.

The real question is why was there a lack of Kitty/Piotr relationship hinted?
your question infers that there will be a 'love' relationship shown between the 2 in a future movie.....just as has been the case in the first 2 movies there is no rule that everything from the comics is interpreted the same way on the screen

Last edited by musick; 05-30-06 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 01:25 AM
Banned by request

his appearance in X3 was more developed than many of the character appearances in the first 2 movies
I hope you're joking. You're seriously trying to compare his appearance in X3 to a 3-second cameo in X2?

If for the entirety of X2 people were talking about Beast, and that 3-second cameo was all we saw, than it might be more comparable. Angel's character had NO point in the film other than to motivate his dad to make the cure. But, let's face it, you could have done away with that and still justified some pharmacuetical company making a cure. Heck, they could have done it just because of the threat Magneto poses.

The problem with this film is that the new characters had inadequate character development, and the characters who were developed in the first two suddenly went through drastic changes that went against all the development that had happened in the last two movies.

Imagine if, in The Return of the King, Aragorn suddenly joins Sauron, Gandalf kills all the hobbits, and Legolas and Gimli get married and run off to live under a mountain. That's about the kind of character changes we're talking about here.
Old 05-30-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope you're joking. You're seriously trying to compare his appearance in X3 to a 3-second cameo in X2?

If for the entirety of X2 people were talking about Beast, and that 3-second cameo was all we saw, than it might be more comparable. Angel's character had NO point in the film other than to motivate his dad to make the cure. But, let's face it, you could have done away with that and still justified some pharmacuetical company making a cure. Heck, they could have done it just because of the threat Magneto poses.
ok so again I ask why not give us Angel then to do this like they did instead of no Angel at all
flesh out his character more in later movies if you choose to

no you see your LOTR's comparison is completely off base
Peter Jackson tried to make the movies as accurate as possible to the 3 books

the brainpower behind the X-Men movies did not try to make the movies as accurate as possible to 40+ years of X-Men books and all the different interpretations of characters held within

nice try though

Last edited by musick; 05-30-06 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 01:32 AM
Banned by request

My point wasn't about accuracy to the printed material. My point was about accuracy to the characters as they were developed in PREVIOUS FILMS.

Nice try and changing the subject, though.

If you want a purely cinematic example: In Return of the Jedi, Luke embraces the Dark Side and kills the emperor and Vader, ruling the galaxy with an iron fist. Leia uses the new Death Star to blow up more peaceful worlds. Han and Chewie get married and go live under a big tree on Kashyyk. Are you happy?
Old 05-30-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

again did you even read my post
Because it's already been pointed out that Hank is in X2 without being a fur ball and well, that drum has been beaten to death. No proof it was actually the same hank mccoy or anything of that nature. Just take it as something for the fans to spot in X2...

not to mention that Singer has said that there was something taken away from X2 that would have bridged the gap and turned Hank into the beast like character we see in the third.

seemed to me pretty early on like her killing her childhood boyfriend with a kiss showed that she always struggled with her powers and it seemed to me that she would want to rid herself of her powers so she could have contact with Bobby.....pretty much what she was getting at early on in X3 in a conversation with him.
Again. The message of the first two films is that you have powers that make you "different" but you are still a person. Singer stretched this to be much like the gay topic in real life. People are different or society cast them aside as different but they are still people so you have to accept them as the same.

This film just went ahead and turned that around completely. Gave you the message that being different is wrong and you should change yourself for others and you'll be happy in the end. It goes against the message of the previous two films. Nuff said.

your question infers that there will be a 'love' relationship shown between the 2 in a future movie.....just as has been the case in the first 2 movies there is no rule that everything from the comics is interpreted the same way on the screen
Actually, my question infers what actually is a relationship in the comics. You might as well stick Storm and charles Xavier in the same bed bumping uglies since if you want to make it true to the comics, you will have to make the realtionships from the comics stick and be the same on screen. Even better example. You might as well make it that Jean and Beast are in a relationship. I mean, just cause scott and jean are a couple in the comics doesn't mean it should be interpreted in the films the same way, right?
Old 05-30-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well in X-Men #4 Xavier admits to himself that he is in love with Jean

are you disappointed he didn't try to have a hot sex scene with her in any of the movies
Old 05-30-06, 01:48 AM

The whole "Dawn of the Dead" look she got was also something made just for the movie.
I liked that though, inaccurate as it may be.

If you want a purely cinematic example: In Return of the Jedi, Luke embraces the Dark Side and kills the emperor and Vader, ruling the galaxy with an iron fist. Leia uses the new Death Star to blow up more peaceful worlds. Han and Chewie get married and go live under a big tree on Kashyyk. Are you happy?
Shout out to George. Get back to writing. I want to see this shit, especially Han and Chewie.

Jack, I think the main point musick was trying to make was the lack of development for many characters in X3 is not different than the complete lack of character development for numerous characters in X1 and X2. Basically, the same complaint could be leveled at all 3 films.

But I found myself enjoying the film, and only thought the film needed another 25-30 minutes of fleshing out.
Old 05-30-06, 01:48 AM
Banned by request

So, musick, do you still disagree that the movie made drastic changes from the established development of the characters in the first two films?
Old 05-30-06, 01:51 AM

Gave you the message that being different is wrong and you should change yourself for others and you'll be happy in the end. It goes against the message of the previous two films.
I have to respectfully disagree Jack. I don't think that was the message of the film. I felt the message was essentially the same, that there's nothing wrong with being different, and the end of the film solidified this.
Old 05-30-06, 01:53 AM
Banned by request

What Rogue did would be the equivalent of a black man dying himself white so he could date a white girl. I don't think anyone would have found that to be good character development, especially if that same character had been used previously to trumpet black pride.
Old 05-30-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
So, musick, do you still disagree that the movie made drastic changes from the established development of the characters in the first two films?
yes I disagree

Cyclops - you want him to be the 'comic book' leader of the X-Men
but he was never given that role as early on as the first movie
Would it have been good if he was the one who tried to save or had to kill Phoenix at the end instead of Wolverine sure but he has had the short shaft in all the movies so it was left to the other character who early on they tried to establish a love relationship with
he loved Jean (about his only character development in X1 or X2) and still loved her in X3 so no drastic changes

Rogue - she is a child.....she has been conflicted in all the movies thus far. Despite Jackskeleton acurate assesment of what the theme of the first two movies was she has always been conflicted between retaining her powers and getting rid of them

Storm - the only drastic changes I can say were that she was a stronger character in this movie more to her comic book portrayal but still light years away from the motherly and strong Ororo

Wolverine - you're upset he became the leader but by default with Scott gone (again who was never portrayed as the strong leader) he took on this role ..... you say this portrayal is not accurate to the comics but while he was always an outsider he still had power struggles with Scott and in the absence of a leader would take command.
smartass, protector, animal, fighter to the end, in love with Jean all in X3 no drastic changes

Phoenix/Jean - well being that we never saw her in her X3 state in X1 or for the most part in X2 there is no way to say the change was drastic.

Xavier/Magneto - no drastic changes

Mystique - no drastic changes

I think I covered them all

Last edited by musick; 05-30-06 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 03:48 AM

where were the accents? rogue had one in the first movie yet lost it completely in this one. pyro's an aussie, pete's a russian, and moira had one but was laughable. the effects were bad. new line cinema should of had the franchise and make a phoenix trilogy ala LOTR. First movie have jean sacfrice to save x-men against say Mutant Liberation Front, second movie have dark phoenix and x-men vs. hellfire club's inner circle with the end having the shi'ar show up. third movie have x-men vs. shiar on the moon. yes a huge budget but it will easily make it back. and please a cgi 9 foot non mutant juggernaut with vinnie jones doing voice over. and a bigger more accurate colossus that doesnt' spin around wolvie a dozen times before throwing him, hello he's class 80 strength, wolvie just jumps on his large hand and gets tossed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.