Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009) [No Kate Beckinsale :(]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009) [No Kate Beckinsale :(]

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: UNDERWORLD 3 [No Kate Beckinsale :(]

If anyone has burning questions for Rhona Mitra, lemme know. Looks like I'll be chatting with her on Sunday.
Old 01-10-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit...I like Rhona Mitra...but I miss the guns and bullets violence that made the first two seem more futuristic. That being said this one doesn't appeal to me as much. Plus... What's with the running time? 92 minutes hardly seems enough to set up a story, flesh it out and finish it in good order. I'm not saying it can't be done but the cost of tickets and such. You would think they would try to give the fans something back instead of trying to cram as many showings in the day as possible.
Old 01-10-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take a 92 minute thrill ride over a movie that's 122 minutes but should have been shorter... which this one turns out to be, we'll have to wait and see. Especially with this type of popcorn action flick, a shorter running time doesn't bother me...if you were to tell me that the third Nolan Batman flick was clocking in at 92 min, I might be concerned
Old 01-10-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I've got a question for you all right

Originally Posted by BJacks
If anyone has burning questions for Rhona Mitra, lemme know. Looks like I'll be chatting with her on Sunday.
Ask her if she had a problem with people who go around belching out loud in public.

Especially if a woman were to do that.

What are her views on that.

Then tell her she's really pretty.
Old 01-12-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would ask her what she thinks of the studio marketing the movie as if it's still Kate Beckinsale in it. Most people are going to think those posters of Mitra are actually posters of Beckinsale:

Beckinsale and Mitra are twins!
Old 01-20-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Ask her what it was like working on Boston Legal. And if she'll be doing more action flicks or attempt to branch out in other areas.

Then ask her if she'll go out with me.
Old 01-20-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
92 minutes hardly seems enough to set up a story, flesh it out and finish it in good order.
The story is already there. We got plenty of flashbacks already of how the war started. This just adds to it

Originally Posted by toddly6666

Beckinsale and Mitra are twins!
Yup, I was half way through Doomsday before I realized that wasnt Kate
Old 01-21-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
The story is already there. We got plenty of flashbacks already of how the war started. This just adds to it

Same for me. I kept looking at her going "Is that Kate B?" And now she's in an Underworld movie.
Old 01-21-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

first review:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/...se-lycans-2009
Old 01-21-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Prequels tend to sound the death knell for a franchise. In the case of Underworld, since the previous film ended in all vamps reverting to human forms, there wasn’t really anyplace left to go!
Huh? When the hell did that happen?!
Old 01-21-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Umm I didnt pay that much attention to the 2nd one, but I dont think that happened...
Old 01-21-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So they gave it 3 1/2 out of 5. They said it's got great action and production design but week plot development and story logic. About what I expected when I heard about the runtime. Normaly, I'm okay with a 90+ minute film but this one is juggling way too many characters. I'm still gonna go see it tomorrow but will hope for an extended cut on BD (and hopefully it will coincide with a similar release for Underworld: Evolution).
Old 01-21-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Umm I didnt pay that much attention to the 2nd one, but I dont think that happened...
It most definitely did not happen. That's why I was thrown off by that statement at the beginning of the review. Makes me wonder how closely the reviewer paid attention to the third film.
Old 01-22-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It most definitely did not happen. That's why I was thrown off by that statement at the beginning of the review. Makes me wonder how closely the reviewer paid attention to the third film.

I read the first few lines and I couldn't finish the review. The Vamps didn't become Human in UW:E and "the hot girl in leather" didn't lose any powers.

I'm hoping he was just trying to make a joke...

Ok, I lied, I read the rest. It was a decent review. But it doesn't matter since no reviews will keep me away from this film.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-22-09 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-23-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But it doesn't matter since no reviews will keep me away from this film.
Exactly.
Old 01-23-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I read the first few lines and I couldn't finish the review. The Vamps didn't become Human in UW:E and "the hot girl in leather" didn't lose any powers.

I'm hoping he was just trying to make a joke...

Ok, I lied, I read the rest. It was a decent review. But it doesn't matter since no reviews will keep me away from this film.
Same here. I didn't get a chance to see it yesterday (movies begin on Thursdays in Puerto Rico) but I'm definitely seeing it today.
Old 01-23-09, 04:12 PM

Saw it at the first showing, it was ok - good popcorn flick. Especially since those who have already seen the first two know this story. Glad I didn't pay full price.

Always excited to see The Watchmen trailer in theaters!
Old 01-23-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rhona Mitra is a bit more manish looking than Kate, and not as hot.
Old 01-23-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I do think that if you're half assed with the Underworld films in general you probably won't like it as much. Big fans of the UW series like me and the 1 or 2 others out there will probably be in the minority as far as digging this flick. That said, I admit that I can't say I loved it, but I did still dig it and would see it again. Either way, I'll still most likely buy it when it comes out.

As I said before in one of these Underworld threads I read the 2nd book based on the Underworld universe called "Blood Enemy" which is basically a prequel giving the Vampire Lycan War background in detail. Perhaps this is why I wasn't blown away since I already had a detailed history in my head. I can't remember if this 3rd film is based on it or if the book is even considered canon; though it must be since the same guy wrote all of the books. Anyway, it did seem like the film changed some things but I could be wrong.

Now, I had to do something rare for me and run to the restroom at a certain point towards the end and pee so if you saw this what happened just after...

Spoiler:
... Lucian spots Viktor in the final battle and goes after after him? I came back just after the battle ended when Raze said, "it's over".

Liked:

1. All the returning actors and their performances. As far as Rhona Mitra, she was ok but she's still growing on me so I still need more time to be impressed.

2. The film's interesting distinction made between Lucian and those that came after him and the Werewolves of William Corvinus. We all know from UW2 that William's Werewolves were wild and couldn't turn back to human form and that modern Lycans were evolved but...
Spoiler:
the film seemed to say that it was specifically Lucian who was "ground zero" for that evolution.

Didn't care for:

1. The "mood music" played under all scenes like they do in Star Wars. I hate that.

2. The sound mix, I could barely understand some of the dialogue in some scenes. Granted, it could have been the fault of theater sound.
Old 01-23-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just came back from seeing it. Holy hell did I have a blast with it! The pacing was spot on and Patrick Tatopoulos did a great job considering it was his first film.

Despite the marketing, Rhona Mitra is really just a supporting character (albeit an important one). The film really belongs to Michael Sheen and to a slightly lesser extent, Bill Nighy.

I think it was easily accessible to non fans but probably works best for fans (such as myself). Think of Serenity or X-Files: Fight The Future.

Spoiler:
I like how it more clearly explained that Lycans are actually offshoots of Werewolves, which explains the name and the non-tradition werewolf look when they're transformed.

It also gives a greater sense of just how badass Raze really was. The sonofabitch fought Werewolves while still a human - barehanded!

My only disappointment is the Kate Beckinsale "cameo" It's just the footage from the opening shot of Underworld with Shane Brolly's monolgue of how Viktor killed Selene's family (followed by Selene's reply: "lies!") playing over the footage. I was hoping for an extended version of the flashback to when Viktor first meets Selene that we see during two ocassions of Underworld: Evolution.

And if I weren't already in love with Rhona Mitra, this film would have done it!
Old 01-23-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now, I had to do something rare for me and run to the restroom at a certain point towards the end and pee so if you saw this what happened just after...

Spoiler:
... Lucian spots Viktor in the final battle and goes after after him? I came back just after the battle ended when Raze said, "it's over".
Spoiler:
Viktor escapes through one of the underground tunnels that Lucian would always go through. After slaying a trio of Vampires, Lucian followes Viktor underground. We see Viktor removing his armor and walking away calmly as if he was going to let his people die and escape the slaughter himself. However, when Lucian reaches Viktor, we find Viktor lying in wait. A brief but cool swordfight ensues. Viktor fights using two swords against Lucians one.

They end up in a well of sorts with lots of chains. Lucian loses hiw sword but notices the when one of the chains was accidentally yanked, sunlight began to pour through. Lucian entangles Viktor with the chains, steals a sword, pulls open the ceiling.

Just then Viktor says something along the lines of "I knew I should have crushed you under my heel the moment you were born." Lucian replies "yes, you should have" and slams the sword through Viktors mouth all the way to the hilt.

Lucian pulls Viktor out to the sunlight. Viktor begins to burn but falls into the water at the bottom of the well.

I too had a rare pee break.
Spoiler:
When Lucian and Sonja are taken before the council. I came back just as they were whipping Lucian.
What did they do/say while I was gone?
Old 01-23-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The film's interesting distinction made between Lucian and those that came after him and the Werewolves of William Corvinus. We all know from UW2 that William's Werewolves were wild and couldn't turn back to human form and that modern Lycans were evolved but...
Spoiler:
the film seemed to say that it was specifically Lucian who was "ground zero" for that evolution.
Maybe it's just me but I also think this film established that Lucian was actually more powerful than William.
Spoiler:
In Underworld: Evolution, we last saw Werewolves running amuck circa 1202 A.D. when Willaim was last free. Whereas when the wild Lycans met Lucian, not only could he sense them and their numbers, he could control them. I would love to see another prequel explaining just how Viktor turned the tide.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-23-09 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Spoiler:
Viktor escapes through one of the underground tunnels that Lucian would always go through. After slaying a trio of Vampires, Lucian followes Viktor underground. We see Viktor removing his armor and walking away calmly as if he was going to let his people die and escape the slaughter himself. However, when Lucian reaches Viktor, we find Viktor lying in wait. A brief but cool swordfight ensues. Viktor fights using two swords against Lucians one.

They end up in a well of sorts with lots of chains. Lucian loses hiw sword but notices the when one of the chains was accidentally yanked, sunlight began to pour through. Lucian entangles Viktor with the chains, steals a sword, pulls open the ceiling.

Just then Viktor says something along the lines of "I knew I should have crushed you under my heel the moment you were born." Lucian replies "yes, you should have" and slams the sword through Viktors mouth all the way to the hilt.

Lucian pulls Viktor out to the sunlight. Viktor begins to burn but falls into the water at the bottom of the well.
Wow, thanks! I have to see this again.

I too had a rare pee break.
Spoiler:
When Lucian and Sonja are taken before the council. I came back just as they were whipping Lucian.
What did they do/say while I was gone?
If it's the scene I'm thinking about then....

Spoiler:
The Council Member who had been giving Viktor shit throughout the film takes the lead in prosecuting Sonja for her "crimes" of helping to free the Lycans, mixing bloodlines by being with Lucian, and worst of all...carrying a mixed blood child. Sonja reminds him that she's done much for the coven including protecting them. Of course he dismisses her past glory. He then says that the punishment is death and he calls for a vote. All vote "aye" and lastly, Viktor also votes for her death. During all this Lucian pleads with Viktor to remember that she's his daughter as he's restrained and quickly taken away.
Old 01-23-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe it's just me but I also think this film established that Lucian was actually more powerful than William.
Spoiler:
In Underworld: Evolution, we last saw Werewolves running amuck circa 1202 A.D. when Willaim was last free. Whereas when the wild Lycans met Lucian, not only could he sense them and their numbers, he could control them. I would love to see another prequel explaining just how Viktor turned the tide.

Spoiler:
Yeah I was also wondering what would happen if Lucian had met William. I also noticed the physical differences between them too and I thought that was truly badass!!!** Lucian's Lycans were my Catlike in the face where Williams's Werewolves were more traditional with their dog like appearance. I guess I hadn't payed attention tot he time line but I do admit to wondering if William had already been put away.

**EDIT: The physical differences were always there. DUH!!!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-24-09 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-23-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, thanks! I have to see this again.
No problem.

If it's the scene I'm thinking about then....

Spoiler:
The Council Member who had been giving Viktor shit throughout the film takes the lead in prosecuting Sonja for her "crimes" of helping to free the Lycans, mixing bloodlines by being with Lucian, and worst of all...carrying a mixed blood child. Sonja reminds him that she's done much for the coven including protecting them. Of course he dismisses her past glory. He then says that the punishment is death and he calls for a vote. All vote "aye" and lastly, Viktor also votes for her death. During all this Lucian pleads with Viktor to remember that she's his daughter as he's restrained and quickly taken away.
Yup, that be it. Thanks. I need to go see this again. I actually watched Underworld and Underworld: Evolution back-to-back right before I went to see it.

Spoiler:
Yeah I was also wondering what would happen if Lucian had met William. I also noticed the physical differences between them too and I thought that was truly badass!!! Lucian's Lycans were my Catlike in the face where Williams's Werewolves were more traditional with their dog like appearance. I guess I hadn't payed attention tot he time line but I do admit to wondering if William had already been put away.
Spoiler:
Viktor said that Amelia and Markus were asleep so this takes place after the prologue of Underworld: Evolution. This was also mentioned in one of the many online articles before the film's release.

I also recall that at one point during this film (don't remember exactly when), Lucian walked passed what looked like a wall painting of William's prison.

It would have been awesome had Lucian met William!

But after this movie, I'm more pissed than ever that Lucian was killed by a lameass like Kraven! I actually wish that in a fourth film Lucian would pull a Michael, a'la Underworld: Evolution but I know that wouldn't likely happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.