Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

If you could magically reverse a movie's boxoffice performance...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Alright, let's say you were suddenly granted the power to go back in time and magically reverse a movie's boxoffice performance. You could transform a flop into a massive hit, or a blockbuster into a bomb. But in doing so, you might alter the shape of cinema as we currently know it.

But choose wisely, because you can only do it TWICE.

So, which two films would you choose to use your power on?

Here's my picks:

PEARL HARBOR
I hate this film immensely and would have loved to see it bomb royally. Therefore, I would reverse its boxoffice fortunes so that it would only take in $15 million during its total run. Michael Bay would've been devastated and never given the chance to make THE ISLAND and, in all likelihood, to ruin the upcoming TRANSFORMERS movie. In fact, it may have led him to quit the business in disgust and save us from those awful horror remakes of his. Also, Ben Affleck would have been driven out of Hollywood for this turkey and never made GIGLI.

APPLESEED
I would turn this movie into a boxoffice blockbuster that shocks the U.S. industry by making $100 million. Why? Because it would have started a huge anime craze in the U.S. and gotten more stuff imported onto the bigscreen and on TV so that we wouldn't have to watch all these stupid animated films about talking animals.

Those are my two picks. Oh yeah, and you're not allowed to choose SERENITY because that movie deserved to tank.
Old 05-17-06, 05:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scream
Scream ruined the horror genre as we know it. it proved teens will see a horror movie. now we have pg13 horror crap every other week.

Spirted Away
same reasons as perk, but this is a better movie.

Last edited by BellsOfWar; 05-17-06 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
PEARL HARBOR
I hate this film immensely and would have loved to see it bomb royally. Therefore, I would reverse its boxoffice fortunes so that it would only take in $15 million during its total run. Michael Bay would've been devastated and never given the chance to make THE ISLAND and, in all likelihood, to ruin the upcoming TRANSFORMERS movie. In fact, it may have led him to quit the business in disgust and save us from those awful horror remakes of his.
Yup...I agree 100% with that assessment. What a train-wreck of a movie!
Old 05-17-06, 08:31 AM

28 Days Later- I would have liked to see this movie make over $200 million just because it was a fun movie to watch.

The Family Man- I would have liked to see this movie make over $400 million. Maybe more movies with alternate universes would be made due to the success of The Family Man. I would have also liked to see Groundhog Day make over $500 million for the same reason.

By the way, Scream was rated R. It is one of my favorite horror movies.
Old 05-17-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would reduce the b.o. for any movie starring Jack Black to less than $1 million. Maybe then he would disappear forever.
Old 05-17-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
Scream
Scream ruined the horror genre as we know it. it proved just about every damn teen will flock to pg13 horror movies. now we have pg13 horror crap every other week.
Every Scream movie has been a very hard "R". You may dislike it for ushering in a batch of "self-aware" horror movies, but it never bowed to the teenage crowd.
Old 05-17-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Titanic.
Old 05-17-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Please don't kill me people, but I would have to say:

Jaws & Star Wars

Last edited by inri222; 05-17-06 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-17-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those are my two picks. Oh yeah, and you're not allowed to choose SERENITY because that movie deserved to tank.
Holy shit. A threadcrap within the initial post, nice!

Out of two recent mainstream films, I would choose Serenity and The Girl Next Door and save them from the box office deaths neither deserved. Serenity pulled off the impossible and was a great film to Browncoats and non-Browncoats alike and if it did well, there would be a Serenity 2. The Girl Next Door was the best teen film in the past decade and it would've been nice to see it's stars to get more notice and maybe better roles (character actors Timothy Olyphant and James Remar brought their a-game to this almost rather silly concept).
Old 05-17-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

King Kong and Batman Begins deserved to have higher totals...
Old 05-17-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Holy shit. A threadcrap within the initial post, nice!
How is THAT a threadcrap but people can say negative things about Jack Black, Titanic, Pearl Harbor, etc.? OH, I see, I think I get it.. because YOU like Serenity anything that is said that is not a glowing masturbatory suck off is a threadcrap, regardless if the thread's discussion will elicit possible negative connotations towards ANY movie. Because YOU like that one it's bad.

Just because it goes against YOUR opinion doesn't mean it's a threadcrap.
Old 05-17-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I would link to shrink the box office returns of every Adam Sandler film to "bomb" status.
Old 05-17-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I would link to shrink the box office returns of every Adam Sandler film to "bomb" status.
THREADCRAP!! Danger Danger! THREADCRAP!! Oh NO!
Old 05-17-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PEARL HARBOR
I hate this film immensely and would have loved to see it bomb royally. Therefore, I would reverse its boxoffice fortunes so that it would only take in $15 million during its total run. Michael Bay would've been devastated and never given the chance to make THE ISLAND and, in all likelihood, to ruin the upcoming TRANSFORMERS movie. In fact, it may have led him to quit the business in disgust and save us from those awful horror remakes of his. Also, Ben Affleck would have been driven out of Hollywood for this turkey and never made GIGLI.

Oh yeah, and you're not allowed to choose SERENITY because that movie deserved to tank.

For one Peral Harbor wasnt that bad, and the Island was pretty good. Micheal Bay does action very well Better then alot of directors and I like how he still uses alot of practical effects. Serenity didnt at all derserve to tank.

I would say

Harry Potter Movies, These arent that good and always seem like the same movie, Visuals are great but the storys and writing I think is way overrated.

Serenity Should of done better show we would of got a trilogy
Old 05-17-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Sahara-being a big Dirk Pitt fan, i would have loved for this one to have been HUGE, allowing it to spawn more movies from the franchise.

Pirates of the Carribean-I just got around to watching it this weekend and i am baffled as to why everyone is so head over heels in love with this movie. I found it to be rather boring to be quite honest. So i would have this one sink at the B.O.
Old 05-17-06, 11:05 AM

Too bad OP, I'm picking Serenity. Should've pulled in more numbers dammit.

I thought Fantastic Four brought in $100 million more than it deserved. Hey, I do love me some Jessica Alba but as Sue Storm?? Come on. And now they're working on a sequel with the same crew that did the first one?
Old 05-17-06, 01:29 PM

I would go with Land of the Dead. I didn't think it borought in nearly enough of what it was worth.
Old 05-17-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Gattaca - should have done much better, and maybe could have helped us get some intelligent sci-fi

Shrek - should have done much worse, Dreamworks' CG-animated movies are nowhere near as good as Pixar's, and the sequel wouldn't have been made and become one of the top-grossing movies ever
Old 05-17-06, 01:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
King Kong and Batman Begins deserved to have higher totals...
"Batman Begins" made almost $400 million (dom and world) and was widely praised for making that much and thus revitalizing the franchise.
Old 05-17-06, 01:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
Scream
Scream ruined the horror genre as we know it. it proved just about every damn teen will flock to pg13 horror movies. now we have pg13 horror crap every other week.
yeah, "Scream" was rated 'R' and is credited with the resurgence of horror movies since 96. plus, if you noticed lately the trend is to 'R' and hard ones at that.
Old 05-17-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
How is THAT a threadcrap but people can say negative things about Jack Black, Titanic, Pearl Harbor, etc.? OH, I see, I think I get it.. because YOU like Serenity anything that is said that is not a glowing masturbatory suck off is a threadcrap, regardless if the thread's discussion will elicit possible negative connotations towards ANY movie. Because YOU like that one it's bad.

It might not be a threadcrap but it bordering on trolling. The negative things in this thread are in one the poster's 2 choices relating to the topic. The OP is singling out a movie outside of his 2 choices and is telling you what your allowed to think about it. There is a difference.
Old 05-17-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
"Batman Begins" made almost $400 million (dom and world) and was widely praised for making that much and thus revitalizing the franchise.
Doesn't mean someone can't wish for it to be an even bigger smash hit.

I'd definitely lower Titanic's box office.
Old 05-17-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish Waterworld hadn't bombed so people couldn't make fun of it as easily.

I agree with the Adam Sandler thing, how about switching Big Daddy's totals with Punch-Drunk Love's?
Old 05-17-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wish "Unbreakable" had made a lot more jack. It did pretty well worldwide, but I hate that so many people dismiss as being inferior to The Sixth Sense simply due to weaker box office returns. That and I'd love to have seen Night do a trilogy.

On the flip side, I wish that "Charlie's Angels" and Adam Sandler's "The What-A-Bore" had bombed. Two of the worst experiences I've ever had in a theater, compounded by the fact that I was surrounded by people laughing their asses off. I swear, at that moment I began to question my own sanity.
Old 05-17-06, 02:18 PM
Banned

i love how the cry babies yell thread crap instead of attempting to defend the argument. don't like what someone says, yell "thread crap." i'll remember that for future reference.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.