Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

If you could magically reverse a movie's boxoffice performance...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

If you could magically reverse a movie's boxoffice performance...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donnie Darko came out just after 9/11 and didn't do nearly as well as it deserved to.

I don't wish failure on any movie...since every movie that makes it does so for a reason.

Instead, I'd give a boost to...(stopped typing here and thought for about 5 minutes)...sorry, but Serenity is the only thing that comes to mind. It may not have been everybody's cup of tea, but it should have made 80-100M.

As for previous comments:

Pirates was an intensely charming movie and deserved its take.
Pearl Harbor was a turd, but it had pretty impressive production value.
Batman Begins should have made Spider-man type money (earlier ones hurt it)
Thumbs up to Gattaca
Disagree about Shrek (every bit as good as Pixar)
King Kong made about what it should have...brilliant but bloated.
Old 05-17-06, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
yeah, "Scream" was rated 'R' and is credited with the resurgence of horror movies since 96. plus, if you noticed lately the trend is to 'R' and hard ones at that.
that's now thanks in part to high tension. up until that we rarely had r horror movies. i never said scream was pg13. i said teens will go to a pg13 horror since they loved scream.
Old 05-17-06, 02:23 PM
Banned

donnie darko is one of the most overrated movies i've ever seen. it's for the psedo intellects to enjoy so they can feel proud of themselves for understanding it.
Old 05-17-06, 02:24 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Shawshank Redemption

I'd love to see what kind of antics Andy and Red get into (and out of) in a follow-up
Old 05-17-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
APPLESEED
I would turn this movie into a boxoffice blockbuster that shocks the U.S. industry by making $100 million. Why? Because it would have started a huge anime craze in the U.S. and gotten more stuff imported onto the bigscreen and on TV so that we wouldn't have to watch all these stupid animated films about talking animals.
Disagree. If Appleseed had made it big we'd have plenty of equally mediocre big budget animes.

My picks:

Dark City and Fight Club - both deserved far more success in theaters than they achieved. Then maybe studios would have been less apprehensive about releasing more off kilter pics.

Equilibrium, because it's a fairly mediocre flick that's loved for being so unknown, if it had been moderately successful, it'd be long forgotten.
Old 05-17-06, 02:40 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd make a hit out of TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME so it would provide the impetus for David Lynch to complete his 2nd film in the series, the one that would have resolved the TV show's cliffhanger ending; now, due to FWWM's failure, we'll never know if
Spoiler:
Cooper ever makes it out of the Lodge alive

Half a step behind this would be STRANGE DAYS, an astonishing sci-fi tour-de-force that deserved so much better than it got.
Old 05-17-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still shocked that Shrek 2 made $920 million worldwide!

Aside from Puss n Boots, this movie had nothing going for it. I thought it was extremely average compared to the original.
Old 05-17-06, 04:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
that's now thanks in part to high tension. up until that we rarely had r horror movies. i never said scream was pg13. i said teens will go to a pg13 horror since they loved scream.
what are you talking about? ht did not start the trend or any trend for that matter. "Scream" started the horror kick again, 'R' or 'PG-13'.
and the way you worded your response absolutely implied you thought it was 'PG-13'.

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-17-06 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
what are you talking about? ht did not start the trend or any trend for that matter. "Scream" started the horror kick again, 'R' or 'PG-13'.
and the way you worded your response absolutely implied you thought it was 'PG-13'.
nah, before HT (or saw) there were only a handful of r movies. now, within the last year there have been many more compared to the years prior. all scream did was bring horror film to the attention of people who wouldn't normally watch it, i.e. teens, by going mainstream, thanks to the likes of drew barrymore, neve campbell and rose mcgowan.
Old 05-17-06, 04:29 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I would have liked T3 to make more money. I really liked the story and the fact that it had the guts to stick with a down type ending.
Old 05-17-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
nah, before HT (or saw) there were only a handful of r movies. now, within the last year there have been many more compared to the years prior. all scream did was bring horror film to the attention of people who wouldn't normally watch it, i.e. teens, by going mainstream, thanks to the likes of drew barrymore, neve campbell and rose mcgowan.
I don't see how High Tension could have kicked off the trend, it came out last year and did pretty poorly at the box office, making only 3 million at the box office.

Saw, House of 1000 Corpses and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake are much more likely inspirations for the resurgence in low-budget, R-rated horror films.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 05-17-06 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 06:33 PM

Box Office Reverse-a-roo

I would make The Passion of the Christ a bomb.

This film was virtually critic proof because of the subject matter. People went to see it because of the subject matter. It made as much as it did because of the subject matter. Sadly, there was no background story, no character development, no real plot (aside from killing someone) and no "passion."

The cinematography was about the only redeeming quality. Otherwise this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

And before people start bashing me, I am not being critical of Jesus, the bible or anything religious. I am being 100% critical of Mel Gibson's vision for the film. Compared to Braveheart and even Man Without a Face, Passion is a dud!

On the flip side, I would like to see Office Space, Napoleon Dynamite and Kentucky Fried Movie all $100 million or more winners!
Old 05-17-06, 07:33 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by cornbetts
And before people start bashing me, I am not being critical of Jesus, the bible or anything religious. I am being 100% critical of Mel Gibson's vision for the film. Compared to Braveheart and even Man Without a Face, Passion is a dud!
So the Bible got it right, but the film gets it wrong???
Old 05-17-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Rundown starring the Rock was a really fun movie (outside of the clunky last battle) that should have crossed the 100 mill mark making it a modest hit.

If I had to make a movie bomb I would go with Mr and Mrs Smith. This movie didn't click with me at all.
Old 05-17-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
\I'd make every Norm McDonald movie make $50 million. Enough to allow him to keep staring in low budget comedies.

Phantom Menace would have make $85 million.

Batman Begins would have made $320 million.

Napoleon Dianomite would have made $12.
Old 05-17-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This film was virtually critic proof because of the subject matter. People went to see it because of the subject matter. It made as much as it did because of the subject matter. Sadly, there was no background story, no character development, no real plot (aside from killing someone) and no "passion."
You can say whatever you would like about the film, but there was plenty of "passion."

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=passion

Check out definition five.
Old 05-17-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would make Innerspace and Serenity more sucessful.
I would take the Box office totals from the last three Star wars movies and substantially reduce them to make to under 50 million each.
Old 05-17-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would decrease the intake of Harry Potter movies, Finding Nemo, and Independence Day. I would increase the box office of the Terminator films, the Indiana Jones series, and Back to the Future films.
Old 05-18-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The cinematography was about the only redeeming quality. Otherwise this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

On the flip side, I would like to see Office Space, Napoleon Dynamite and Kentucky Fried Movie all $100 million or more winners!
You've got to be kidding me. What kind of background story and character development did you want? This was not a movie about Jesus' life. It was a movie about his final hours on Earth. I mean did you want the movie to show his birth in the manger, walking on water and all that stuff? The entire point of the movie was that the audience already knew the entire story, so there was no need for a backstory or character development. Mel Gibson seriously considered not even having subtitles and frankly that decision wouldn't have bothered me very much. Subtitles were not even needed because the story was very simple and MOST people (at least those of the Christian faith) could follow the story just fine without having subtitles. The story of the Passion basically is that Jesus is betrayed, Jesus accepts his fate, Jesus has the last supper, Jesus is scoured, Jesus carries the cross to the place, Jesus dies on the cross and finally Jesus rises from the dead. The core story is one of the simplest ever told and it didn't need character development or a backstory.
Old 05-18-06, 01:44 AM

This is exactly what I am talking about. People cannot accept any criticism on The Passion because of it's biblical background. Yes most people who are Christian don't need to know the back story, however I did not feel the film gave much outside of a blood bath.

In order for a film to work and for the audience to care about the characters there has to be "something" there on screen, not something that you are supposed to know through a religion class. I just felt like there was not enough being told on screen for the audience.

You know how you see a sequel to a film and it doesn't make sense because you didn't see the original? That is how I feel about this film. This film should be able to stand on it's own without having to know the bible or even have heard of the bible. To me all I got was 2 hours of watching a man die.

I agree with you on the subtitles. I am not upset about that. In fact, I thought that was actually distracting to the film and could have tolerated the film in it's spoken language.

Sorry, I just hated this movie. Much like some people hate Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Jaws. I mean no offense to people who love it or those who are religious. I just hated The Passion.
Old 05-18-06, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OFFICE SPACE and DARK CITY should have made massive amounts of money at the box office. I'm sure they made more money on DVD, but they should have been huger films considering that they are classic masterpieces of their genre.

HARRY POTTER should make less. I don't get those films.

And by the way, TRANSFORMERS will rock, especially with Michael Bay as director. It's going to be the best action movie next year!
Old 05-18-06, 06:55 AM

I would have made Mallrats and Jersey Girl do alot better at the time as I feel they deserved to be much bigger hits when they were in the cinema.

Last edited by SuicycoDave; 05-18-06 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-18-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This film should be able to stand on it's own without having to know the bible or even have heard of the bible.
Why?
Old 05-18-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is exactly what I am talking about. People cannot accept any criticism on The Passion because of it's biblical background.
Does "accept criticism" mean "not debate points"? The way I see it, your criticism was (for-the-most-part) civily noted and responded to without namecalling ... hence the nature of discussion.
Old 05-18-06, 08:50 AM

I would have made Return of the Jedi tank... the original trilogy will forever be a part of my childhood, but this way Lucas would have been punished for the Ewoks, and maybe there would not have been special editions or prequels which would be just fine in my book.

And Cabin Boy should have made $100 mil easily

Last edited by Hospitaller; 05-18-06 at 08:53 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.